+++++ Supermarine Scimitar F1 +++++ Finished

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

Bit of a mismatch on the nose but hopefully there's enough material that will allow you to get it cleaned up and sorted without any dramas.

It dry fitted fine when I tried it before everything went inside. Everything from the cockpit and nose wheel well back lines up really well. In fact pretty close to perfect for a limited run kit. I think there is enough plastic on the nose to work with. I might consider a fairly hard filler for the first layers. Probably not severe enough to get the Milliput out but I have some citadel green stuff which is two part epoxy. I'll see what it looks like when the tape comes off. 

• Like 2

That nose doesn't look that bad - I'd just get out my heavy duty sanding stick to get everything down level, then use my finer sticks to finish it. Hopefully my kit will arrive tomorrow - can't wait to get started on it!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

That nose doesn't look that bad - I'd just get out my heavy duty sanding stick to get everything down level, then use my finer sticks to finish it. Hopefully my kit will arrive tomorrow - can't wait to get started on it!

Regards,

Jason

It doesn't look quite as bad with the tape off. I've slapped on some filler and left it to dry for 24hours and I'll see how things go after a few minutes with the sanding sticks. As you say heavy duty first and then work down. 

• Like 1

After a couple of filling and sanding sessions we have this. The top took more time than expected, as did the underside. The nose which had the worse mismatch actually took the least time. 

resized_e1dd56a9-a913-4201-8dca-9979d346

resized_f6e7be66-1c9b-4584-a62d-ce5ab3cb

Then the wings on. Although there's a protrusion for the wing to fit over it was too wide and needed a bit of sanding down. Then it wasn't clear where exactly the wings went and my first fit on what were the natural fit for both wings left them about a quarter of an inch difference between them. I know staggered wings have come and gone in fashion but that was ridiculous. I got my Warpaint book out and it has 1:72 plans so was able to use them. 

resized_333eff05-09fa-4013-9a79-c6df1ada

Some filling needed. But a few hours drying first methinks. This is probably the first time ever for me the photo looks better than reality. 

resized_3a5c1217-2086-419a-9df8-27037eec

• Like 2

Filler added, with some masking tape to help preserve the panels which are quite delicate. 

resized_3d5d1366-6123-4a52-bfe1-57d583b1

The underside needed even more filler. I'd normally leave it overnight but I've a busy day tomorrow so it'll be Tuesday before I get another chance. Starting to look like a plane. The next challenge after sanding this all down will be the tailplane which doesn't have  locating points on the fuselage despite there being pins on the tailplanes. The saving grace is the plastic and Tamiya Extra Thin seem like they were made for one another and once glued things stay glued. 

• Like 5

Well she's certainly starting to come together and looking rather Scimitarish! My kit arrived a couple of days ago and I've been cutting the parts off the sprues and getting them ready for glueing and/or painting. Not a bad kit actually; I shouldn't have sold it the first time.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight change. Really just a trifle. Hardly worth mentioning.
  • Like 1

The filling of the wing joint finished and smoothed down and polished. The tailplane on as well. Though I should probably put the tailcone on first as there may be a little work needed to fair it in, and this may be awkward to do with the tailplanes on. 

resized_9a91c099-8c72-4610-a057-962cb7ae

As Hans has said, the Scimitar is a fair old size. Here it is along side an FAA Phantom 

resized_6334f468-8b59-4b81-8cdb-e52f3744

• Like 6

That is looking good, I'm still gobsmacked at how big they were, I'm struggling to believe my Skybirds box is big enough to fit all that in. :unsure:  I suspect  that you & Hans will be responsible for an inflation in the price of these kits on the nett. :(;)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Ready for the paint shop. I plan to spray the white from a rattle can.  However I can only do it outdoors and the weather today is not ideal. I'll see how it is a bit later. 

resized_0e861613-a7df-4bcb-aaa7-b65d1b44

The upperworks. I'm doing a Seafire at the same and you can see the difference in 10 years of Supermarine fighters from the Seafire fuselage side. 

resized_f7c96469-b022-464c-82ce-e8693dcc

• Like 2

After ages masking and preparing, I ran my first spray of Halfords Apliance White, and disaster. After starting OK out it came in splatters and dollops. 

resized_15121a9a-d37b-410a-aa6a-df81ecb3

resized_a2d35c9b-5d32-4b0b-b57a-28d36665

resized_c40c42d2-133e-4f2d-b918-4b711f55

Looks like a snow storm. I've got work tomorrow and a busy time afterwards so I think Tuesday will be taken up with paint removal. Much as the white sprayed is a really good colou, I think I'll go back to the hairy sticks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Oops!

I really thought you had left it out in the snow... until I remembered London was rather stifling at the mo...

The good news is... nobody died, and there is nothing wet and dry cannot tackle.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Multiple hours of work has got us here. Initially I used methylated spirits and it worked with heavy rubbing but took ages. I then used gentle swabbing with some brush restorer and it worked great but also started to attack the plastic. I found some of Deluxe's Strip Magic in my tool kit and although I had poor experience with it before decided to try it. I swabbed it on witha cotton bud and left it about 5/6 minutes then rubbed it off with a cotton swab impregnated with methylated spirits and it worked, although the rubbing off did take a bit of pressure. None of the sticky out bits came off which is good, although a couple of the pylons on the tanks did but that was probably me being clumsy. I've sanded and polished a bit but there's still a bit to go. I think I'll have to put some primer on eventually but am now a bit worried as all I have are rattle cans. I hope my Tamiya Fine Surface Primer still works OK. I don't need a repeat. 

resized_346c0664-4cf5-4d8f-8e8f-a80b0229

• Like 5

A base layer of Citadel's Ceramite White thinly brushed on as a primer. There's a little tidying up, especially along the underside seam where the paint removal has lifted some off the filler. Otherwise not at all bad. 

resized_fcbf44e5-984e-4928-9f8e-08565634

If this stays down down I'll add 2 or 3 further coats to give full coverage and then add a coat or two of Revell Gloss White followed by some Kleer. This will take a few days and we're off to Bristol early tomorrow for rugby so it may be a day or too before a further update. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2018 at 10:07 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Quiet a job you've done there - I hope the new layer will go on smooth! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thanks Hans. It did take a while. I've got 4 coats of matt white on now. I had to fill the underside seam and sand down a few time so it probably needs another coat on the belly but the wings and tail are fine. I can't find any Gloss White anywhere in my stash despite knowing I have a pot of both Revell and Xtracrylix. Maybe I'll just layer on a coupl eof coats of Kleer. 

On 9/21/2018 at 3:09 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Glad you were able to save it. 

Thanks. I might not be the best modeller, but I am determined and hopefully resourceful. I'm not going to let a bad coat of paint beat me. 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:31 AM, Col. said:

Glad to see you got the old white cleaned off without too much drama.

Thanks Col

i haven't any photos from today but it looks a lot better. I'll post some tomorrow. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

Several coats of citadel Ceramite White, a bit of filling and sanding then three coats of Kleer. And here we are now. All overall white is a true nightmare. Every time you think you've done you see a scratch or a little bit of dust/dried paint that needs sanded down. After the last coat of Kleer on the tanks I spotted some bits that need sanded and another bit that needs a little paint. Never mind the airframe is complete underneath. I'll leave it a day or so to harden and then mask it for the EDSG. 

resized_e461a5a8-3a38-4637-93e1-88203da8

i feel like it's been much longer than it has been to get here. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

That looks good, and she'll look great once you get the EDSG on her! I've cleaned up most of the parts on mine, but I haven't started glueing anything yet.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looking smooth! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thanks gents.