+++++ Supermarine Scimitar F1 +++++ Finished

Slightly OT and probably one for the Scimitar aficionados. When we were in Scotland recently we decided to pop into the museum in Hamilton and as you go in the door, this is the first thing you see. 

resized_8483989e-138b-48ba-9e56-ae0eeac5

Rolls Royce built the Avon at East Kilbride nearby, having built a factory to do so. This actual engine was reclaimed for posterity out of a Scimitar. Useful resource for anyone super detailing the engine face. 

• Like 5

All I have to do to finish is to affix the three tanks and the buddy pod. An hour's work this morning has got me here. Two tanks on, and not particularly well if I'm honest. 

resized_a4fd28d9-17d3-41cd-83cd-a4093909

But on the debit side, I have got two removed undercarriage doors, a broken main undercart on one side, the IFR probe fallen off, one of the aerials off and a broken pitot. As well as a pretty messed up underwing serial on one wing. As usual the superglue has only succeeded in glueing my fingers together and dropping onto places where it wasn't wanted. How come it never sticks the bits you want it to but does the bits you don't?

I'm going to drill out some holes for locating pins on the pylons and wing and see if that helps get the tank and pod fixed.

• Sad 3

Still plenty time to get this one over the finishline and gallery ready so no rush. Don't spoil this one at the last moment as it's looking too good.

This is looking nice, and the drop tanks add to the appearance. As I predicted on my kit, a bright new shiny object did come along (an Airfix Valiant at a reasonable price!), and took my attention away from my Scimitar, but only for the moment. Now I need to remember where I put it...

Regards,

Jason

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Still plenty time to get this one over the finishline and gallery ready so no rush. Don't spoil this one at the last moment as it's looking too good.

I will resist a flight onto the shelf of doom and get this plane finished. I've fixed the undercarriage, got one of the doors back on and drilled out the pylons on the tanks d glued in some pins. And another fell off! So I have pinned it too. I have retrieved all the fallen parts except for the pitot. I think a bit of pin will have to be pressed into service. 

I have touched up some of the paint but am wondering whether to use some slices of the spare serials to clean up the serial on the starboard wing. Will have to wait a couple of days as I have two busy days coming up. I want to finish it this week and get it in the gallery. 

• Like 2

Some of the repair work. Most bits put back on, the transfers repaired from the second set in the kit. Luckily the second set was for XD332 so I was able to overlay the damaged ones as well as apply some more white after gently sanding the cyano down. 

resized_041842b0-b932-4782-9d67-e6cd2acc

You can also also see the pins in the tanks and pod. Some Kleer to go on over the repainted parts and once dry I'll drill the holes for the pylons and fix them. Just a pitot to sort out thereafter. 

resized_39f1c955-3a5e-4c0c-ae4b-3c9798d7

• Like 4

Nice save there! I've located my kit and been looking at it to get myself motivated to start working on it again. Looking at your model helps also.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Tanks on

resized_4e5060fe-3bc0-4f37-af6a-1a8b00d3

Buddy pod too.

resized_d267b4b8-2ea7-4f45-b02f-107cd0bb

New pitot furnished from a pin. A little bit of touching up needed on that leading edge. Just an aerial to reattach and then she'll be done. 

resized_c3e7b147-1bf3-47c5-9baa-b9e13ba3

• Like 3

Finished, Ta da!

resized_b59cd5cc-1ddc-4820-b502-a98f6a36

sitting on a new HMS Eagle base, that I picked up from the Coastal Kits stand yesterday at Telford. Also got an armoured carrier deck for a WW2 carrier. They have a nice range of bases and although tempted by a few more I did resist. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Learstang said:

Very nice, indeed! I hope mine turns out as nicely!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks, I'm sure yours will be great. Don't be too tardy in getting it finished. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:45 PM, Col. said:

Woohoo! Well done :goodjob::speak_cool:

Thanks for the encouragement and support along the way

On 11/11/2018 at 10:58 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Very nice! I like it! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

It was nice to see two Scimitars in this GB. And hopefully a third if Jason gets his done. It was also helpful to learn from your trials and tribulations along the way. 

• Like 1

I have realised that all my photos of the finished article were from the port side and therefore there isn't a decent shot of the buddy pod. So here's a couple to rectify it. 

c6ce9c20-4f4e-4b1e-9536-585c0f02e0cb.JPG

resized_10dc5372-6d6a-4336-92ee-9fe8a54f

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

You've got a super finish on that, I'm so liking it. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve