Stillnautical, a foxy lady the Sea Vixen in the fitting out shop

perdu

I have a partial answer to my questions about that Green Stuff/Putty stuff

I left it alone last night but noticed it got less tacky (at the start it is very sticky, almost yukky) and malleable whilst allowing itself to be wet tooled about

This morning it is dry and firm and seems likely to dry out even more and resists cutting with a modelling knife

Although I could have given Milliput the job and may indeed use it for trimming later, I think it has done what I need

It is also, as a bonus, quite heavy and must reduce the internal weight this old warbird is going to need 

Yippee

When I get to close-up and edge joining I think I will be able to tidy the intake tracts nicely after cutting away the excess

Then I hope to model this reasonably

Sea%2520Vixen%2520Intake.JPG&key=0efa92e

This looks like high chrome stainless to me, rather than a painted surface.

Can anyone confirm that please?

I feel echoes of Navy Bird's Buccaneer intake colour question coming back to haunt us, help

I am going to cast a fan face mould from one of my Canberra kits, the old wide nosed Airfix one sits handily in a cupboard nearby as does the Spey face off the Matchbox Buccyboy if I needed to do cannibalising

So today will be one of those (normal) 'not much happening' days

Compliments and thanks to Julien for the Walkaround picture above

• Like 6

Not that I had any doubts, but this is becoming more and more interesting :Tasty: Multimedia modelling for those intakes, very much looking forward to how they'll turn out (and taking notes and learning, too)

Ciao

• Like 1

Interesting use of green putty - don't even try to sand it! I was thinking paper for the intake ducts (you won't be poking them on the finished model) but the green stuff looks good. I have the same kit and a vacform - was going to build it in a hurry but it has slipped down the list somehow. Looking forward to your progress on this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Interesting use of green putty - don't even try to sand it! I was thinking paper for the intake ducts (you won't be poking them on the finished model) but the green stuff looks good. I have the same kit and a vacform - was going to build it in a hurry but it has slipped down the list somehow. Looking forward to your progress on this.

Regards,

Adrian

I've been considering these ducts ever since I received the kit

And now I'm still doing it, considering that is

Oh well, the green is somewhere to start

I find I can carve it anyway

😕

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Re: the intakes, does anyone else get second thoughts?

How about plastic card ducts, think the article covers this but not sure haven't read it in a long while

Roger

• Like 1

Hello Dear Colleague !

Perduction line !! :rofl2::rofl2:

I'll save this one for further use !!

May I have a seat at the bar Bill ?

Very interesting project, you're right ! interplanetary cooperation is really good !!

Well good idea for the air ducts ! Great job !

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I would tend to use milliput but your Green Stuff there looks similar, so I reckon it will be fine. Never used that before so might give it a try.

Terry

• Thanks 1

I know this stuff isn't going to be 'work friendly' but I think it will act as a fine support for something like Milli or one of the other more tractable fillers

A play this afternoon is called for

• Like 4

Bill, you are right about the intakes; bare metal (so slightly corroded aluminium in all extant Vixens!).

Not sure you’re right about Simon’s Sircus (sic), though.  That was 892NAS, and I don’t think I see an 892 badge there.  They also had fetching red flashes on the nose of their underwing tanks - masking hell!

[Those flower power marks for under the tail are classic modeller stuff; a scheme that was applied for approximately 24 hours when 899 disembarked from Eagle for the final time, yet seems to get trotted out by every transfer company - it’s in the Airfix 1/48 Vixen too.  See also the Colonial Navy RN F4.]

Simon Idiens (of Simin’s Sircus) was Kristin Scott-Thomas’s step-dad, trivia fans.  Her Dad was killed in a Vixen, and then Idiens was killed in a Phantom.  There is a beautiful memorial sundial in the FAA cemetery at Yeovilton in menory of the two of them, I assume given by Kristin. 

Vixens are cool.  Official.  FAW1s even cooler, but I accept that such improving surgery is well beyond the scope of this Bill Build / Perduction.  

I did shed-loads of research for my FAW1, Bill, and live next door to a real-life Vixen driver.  Just shout if you need answers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is one for me to watch for sure, I've two of these in stock, one to combine with some Magna FAW.1 tail booms.

If I've missed chat about decals apologies but the red stripes on the fuselage uppers can be hard to come buy, The Revell boxing had them as does the current Ark models boxing, maybe Modeldecals too but otherwise they can be hard to come by.

Not sure whether you've seen this page either, some good ideas there in, not that I feel you'll be needing them.

Steve

• Thanks 1

That is a fine, handy link Steve thanks

Crisp I did wonder what that flower power thing was, only took me a few minutes to see that SImon had nothing to do with it

Now the upper engine hatch markings will be provided by Microscale in their thin red line set, the kit decal sheet comes without them anyway and I have already begun sanding away the raised detailing...

As for the intake thingy

It was not a PASS GO And pick up...

P1010608.jpg

P1010610.jpg

Oh well on with the motley

P1010611.jpg finding the interior shapes

Gives

P1010612.jpg

And pick a piece of plasticard

P1010613.jpg

And start making fences

Here is a 12mm ring cut out to represent the intake section of a RR Avon, 12 mm might not be right but looks to be about it

They will be glued to the interior template and then the central fences will be adapted to become intake inner walls

P1010614.jpg

PS, not glued in yet I have yet to decide whether to add fan blades deep inside the hole...

(The green stuff didnt stick when I began trying to carve  it)

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Not sure you’re right about Simon’s Sircus (sic), though.  That was 892NAS, and I don’t think I see an 892 badge there.  They also had fetching red flashes on the nose of their underwing tanks - masking hell!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Crisp I did wonder what that flower power thing was, only took me a few minutes to see that SImon had nothing to do with it

If you want an 892 sqn Simons Circus Sea Vixen Bill, Modeldecal set 32 has what you would need as does Xtradecal X72077. Hannants have the later in stock. Doesn't alleviate the masking problem alluded to by Crisp though!

Terry

• Like 2

YABA DABA DOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I was waiting for this!!!

I had a feeling!!!

Well well well....out of box....:rofl::rofl2:

I'm really curious to see what your "sprinkles and juice"will be!!! :blahblahblah:

I'll be watching and learning !!!

• Haha 4

Massimo my sprinkles and juice will be nothing more than adding the intake interiors and some basic junk in the cabin

And Terry thanks for pointing out the decal availabilities, not a worry to me I intend using the Flying White Fist ones in the kit

If I find something odd, like maybe wrong fonts I can change them anyway but so far  they look right to me so nothing changes

Well this changes but I have pointed that out anyway

The interior firewall engine mount wall cut out to suit

P1010615.jpg

In this view you can see the front splitters I fitted just in case, but it looks like I wont need them so they may be getting whipped off too

P1010617.jpg

I made a pair of large (12mm) rings for the intakes and stuck them on after installing the plate

P1010618.jpg

This will be where the intake sections fit together, direct to the rings as in the real thing

P1010620.jpg

The intake unit has constant changes of contour from the ring at the back through to the intake ramp at the front which is basically a flat metal panel with curvy corners

It's going to be fun gang, hang on tight-ish

The front face of the engines will be made from these cut outs with central bullet and directional vanes and one big starter pipe

P1010621.jpg

I do not expect to cut all those fan blades out so I expect I'll draw them or use a pencil

Right

Bring it on...

• Like 11

regarding your intake ducting Bill - have you investigated copper microbore pipe for central heating?  I can't remember the diameters it came in (but there were at least a couple of different diameters), but it was very malleable

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Just the other night I was faced with such an intake dilemma... steak, or mako shark?   I chose the steak,  but halfway through I really wished I had opted for the shark.  It was the same problem for the appetizers - Italian (cured meats and cheese) board or Spanish board.  The consensus was to order both so we avoided the issue there!

• Haha 4

I can't say I enjoyed the shark I had a few years back although I admit it was better to be me eating him than him eating me

Almost every single flake line in the meat had a  thin piece of cartilage like stuff in it, the meat was nice but the work to get at it put me off

The copper pipe idea, however is a cracker Hendie

I will apprehend the local chap tomorrow

He, a professor with MSc and BSc type qualifications was happy to sign my passport application, I am sure he will extend his friendship that little bit further with a couple of 12mm off-cuts from his plumbing business

He retired from the groves of Academe in order to become a plumber and earn some serious dosh

"There's no money in Professoring" he said

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, massimo said:

By coincidence, tonight I was re-arranging some family pictures and found these...:think::cwl:

SHnpwAI.jpg

Fantastic detail in those pictures Massimo, thanks for sharing. I have an Xtrakit Sea Vixen in the stash, these could be useful one day!

Terry

• Like 1

Great stuff! I like it.

Ref intakes material.... I've been faffing around with (circular) intakes on a Frog Javelin, and been using Muller Corner yoghurt tubs. They're polystyrene and glue works well, 

The pieces I used were straight and flat, but it is easily bendable.

The tub moulding includes several interesting curve sections that might be of use in your intakes.

And it's One of your 5-a- day.

Bargain...!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, massimo said:

By coincidence, tonight I was re-arranging some family pictures and found these...:think::cwl:

Lucky man to have a Sea Vixen in the family.

AW 

• Haha 7

Useful idea Rob thanks, I may wander round our local Select'n'save later

Hmm

I like your avatar, takes me back to my second job after leaving school

Selling bikes at Vale-Onslow and opening huge packing crates and building up Japanese bikes in the showroom whilst trying to sell Triumphs/Beezer and AMC dinosaurs to older guys and YDS2s to the 250 brigade

Still owe me some holiday pay but it would cost me about the same to go and collect it.  :)

• Like 8