Stillnautical, a foxy lady the Sea Vixen in the fitting out shop

perdu

Great work on the Vixen Bill !

That make me looking more lovingly to my own Vixens too....🤔

But, not for now, I must be reasonable... Hum ! Well Almost !

For glueing my clears, I used to use microscale Crystal clear, and it can also fill some little gaps.

Now I think about turning one of my Vixen into a FAW 1, I start to collect some docs about it....

After all, I'm crazy enough to modify on of my Wyvern into a RR Eagle powered one:bangin: 

So Why not ??

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 4

These red engine access panel stripes, a couple of ideas:

mask and paint them in sections, i.e. horizontals, then verticals, then diagonals, etc. Time consuming but easier than masking everything in one go.

Or:

Get some "self print" decal paper. cut some off. Spray it red (I suggest car rattle can paint as water won't affect it). Cut strips of the correct width. Apply ad infinitum.

I use the last method using black paint for all those fiddly stripes on modern missiles.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bigdave22014
Speeling mistaks
  • Like 3

I do have a set of red Microscale thin stripes to use but the big problem will be marking out the actual panels

I should, oh yes should, have traced the outlines before I rubbed them off

But...

:(

No worries, I'll get there

Thanks for the handy tips

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

the canopy looks much better now!

I'd say you got the shape correct. 

The red stripes are the reason why I bought the print scale sheet for mine...to be , but they're just a  minor challange for a real man, one brave enough to dare painting gloss white a couple of Buccaneers not long ago!:viking::hobbyhorse::boxing:

So I'll keep watching as I'm confident you'll do it!!!

• Like 2

Well I think I have the cockpit in a reasonable state now

P1140300.jpg

P1140293.jpg

I know from bitter experience that if I try doing anything else now I can only mess it all up

So its Stickertime

It actually looks OKish to the bare nekkid eye so No Mo Wories

As for the stickers, beautifully printed, in perfect register but with almost nothing of a varnish layer

If I'd printed these when I was a trainee silkscreen printer at The Transfers Factory I would be expecting an unpleasant interview with The Management

To give the lithographed images the strength to be popped in hot water, pushed and pulled off the backing paper and manipulated 'til they were in the proper place they need a varnish layer under and over the imagery which keeps the inks still on the wet paper     

These had a thin base layer and no upper varnish at all, I used the red lines that should mark some esoteric locations on the drop tanks possibly trestle marks? Who knows?

Well me not know  :(

Anyway, they took ten minutes to apply three simple linked lines

They folded and flopped as I expected so I have now given the rest of the sheet a couple of coats of Tamiya varnish, semi gloss over matt

Looks better, and I will try them out when I am sure they are dry enough

P1140292.jpg

Time for lines all over here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 12

She's looking sweet,  Bill - just like her cousin in the background :clap:

Did I ever mention I hate decals? Well, that applies to stickers too! :rofl:

I'm positively not envying you here...

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah me too Giorgio but progress does proceed

A start made

P1140303.jpg

These lines are being allowed to settle with the help of a dripping of Decalfix but when I finish it is obvious  there will be a huge disparity of finish so the Tamiya semi gloss varnish will come into play to make the surfaces similar

Ish

Of course doing the lines, boxes and exes this way means I need decent pictures to follow

This is a good as I can find

P1140304.jpg

It works for me

ciao

• Like 9

On 10/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, Scimitar said:

here's another beauty..

13_Sea_Vixen_landing_on_Eagle_Mediterran

That is just so .................. well natural, the way the world is meant to be.

Keep those decals coming Bill, almost there.

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coloured in bits...

Hmm yes OK

I just had to search deep and wide to find the lady hiding back near the bottom of page 8, message to Bill "keep on the ball Bill"

As for the stickers, I delved deep and wide inside my transfer cache hoping to find the right size 'font' in black for XS680

nothing, diddley squat, nowt...

So in order to get that serial number under the wings I had to rely upon an ability of Win X using machines to load extra fonts from the interweb

I thought the Appleuniverse was supposed to be better than Microsoft world but both times I have advised Mac users to find and load RAF_PW_ATH they have returned with a message, I cant get it loaded

Oh well I can

I fired up MS Word and selected the RAF_PW_ATH font and chose a pica size that might do the job

This was 24 point for starters and I typed the XS680 text onto the page and ran off a sample print

P1010827.jpg

24 was way too small so I used  the 'increase font' button and converted the font style to bold then ran off another copy using the same piece of paper, waste not etc

I also copied the text piece across to a second space for comparison

Then used a sheet of transfer paper to test the colour fastness

P1010828.jpg

Looked OK but does need to be normal style

I tried the print against the kit's transfer sheet for size and style  

P1010832.jpg

I can find minor quibbles but I dont intend to so it was put the paper in the printer and rock'n'roll time

P1010830.jpg

These have been treated to several layers of Tamiya TS(80)? for strengthening purposes

Some of the kerning is out a little but I will be cutting out the individual letters to respace the serial anyway

Ok its sticky time, see y'all later          

Oh yes the font size I increased to was 37, 36 would have sufficed                 

• Like 10

Thanks John, even though I no longer build to allow occasional competitioning I like to get as right as I can

I think this is close enough

P1010833.jpg

P1010834.jpg

Getting a bit nicer now

Still got all those interminable red crosses for the engine access KEEP OFF crosses and the usual stencils to add

Not sure whether to use some of my very rare Aeroclub aerofoil struts to make intake vanes when they are due to be hidden behind the FOD guards

There isn't much left (in the world I understand) so I may (as well) save it for another day

• Like 12