1/72 - Douglas X-3 Stiletto by AZmodel - released - kit 2.0 ?

Homebee

That's definitely the work of Czech aviation artist, Zdenek Machacka. Whether it's for kit boxart or elsewise, we'll have to wait and see.

Total specualition on my part, if it's for boxart at all, is that the AZ/KP camp are likely customers given the second image is in a completely "What if" scheme.

• Like 1

It's interesting how different the various existing 1/72nd scale kits are in how they've rendered this subject.  They all have unique takes on the shape of the nose and the canopy / windscreen.  It'd be nice to see an accurate one rendered in 1/72nd styrene.

I'm sure Revell did a 1/72nd in the 60s . Did I dream that up ?

Edited by bzn20

30 minutes ago, Gorby said:

1/65

That brings memories back of the brilliant Revell catalogue of around 1967 . The one with the US Navy Phantom on the cover. I poured over those pages . 1/65th ? Weird.

This one ,wish he didn't live in Oz , 24 quid postage ! Run away !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Hobby-Kit-Collection-True-to-the-Last-Detail-10th-Anniversary-Catalog/192631342174?hash=item2cd9b9045e:g:xSUAAOSwQQlbAlVj

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

The 1/48 Lindberg kit should be taken outside and shot, and then buried at sea, so a replacement for that would be very welcome.

Funny you should bring that up. I've just been given one by a 'friend' who recently saw my temporarily abandoned Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 project. He reckons it would be a good follow up. I think I may have one less Christmas Card to send....

BOT It would be nice to see more experimental stuff in 1/48 to go with the Luft '46 offerings. We can but hope.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2018 at 10:34 AM, general melchett said:

If ever an aircraft was more aptly named!   good news if it is boxart, (the second image looks more like a BP-sponsored land speed record car.)

If only the X-3 had been as fast as it looked.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Whas it ever intended to be in "service"... ? :)

But for sure, it makes up for som interesting "whifs"!

Cheers / André

3 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Whas it ever intended to be in "service"... ? :)

But for sure, it makes up for som interesting "whifs"!

Cheers / André

The X-3 was designed purely to be a research aircraft, as was the X-1 and X-2 before it. It was intended to reach speeds of 2000 mph, but was so underpowered it could not break the speed of sound in level flight. Some of the test flights supported the development of the wing design of the F-104, which was in service by 1958 the date given for these WHIFs. The MiG 19 was also in service by then; I can't imagine any pilot wanting to fight the X-3 against the 19, or the MiG-17 for that matter.

Love the idea of the "what ifs". However, this aircraft was so grossly underpowered would it actually get off the ground touting a pair of Sidewinders - unless of course fitted with the then revolutionary Unobtainium powered engines? Even then I don't reckon you'd get much of a bang for your bucks. Still, like I said! Looks good............!:lol:

Allan

On 8/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, Gorby said:

The 1/48 Lindberg kit should be taken outside and shot, and then buried at sea, so a replacement for that would be very welcome.

Hmmm, I have one of those, purchased from Home Bargains in their recent special offer.

I suspect you consider it a trifle, errr, inaccurate ?

Surely not !

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Great whifs! Will give em that! :)

TT

I took a photo at a show recently of a display of what if versions of the X-3. All good, and some did make me smile.

Unfortunately I've found that I took photos of the what if's individualy, not as a display. Rats.

They were on the West Glamorgan club stand at SMW last year, and here's two of them, presumably a what if captured and altered by the Russians, and in service in the US Navy ;

resized_4f076372-49b2-4469-b2e4-d5e757b4

resized_6c8d2f48-aea0-4640-8d03-3c14314d

Edited by Whofan
updating
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Hmmm, I have one of those, purchased from Home Bargains in their recent special offer.

I suspect you consider it a trifle, errr, inaccurate ?

Surely not !

One thing I will say for the quality of the kit, the level of detail is… completely absent.

The cockpit was the biggest problem. The only ‘detail’ in the cockpit other than a shapeless blob they expect you to believe is a pilot, is something that looks more like an armchair than a ejector seat. Nothing else at all, not even an instrument panel! It looked like the bailiffs had just called - one big empty space. There isn't even a bulkhead behind the pilots seat, so the engine fronts can clearly be seen - which would have made it a tad windy for the pilot. Although there is an engine, it isn't exactly the “Finely detailed engine” it claims on the box, and the exhaust nozzles are just pits of gaping emptiness. Each kit should have the contact details of the Samaritans.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on the plus side, everything else in your collection will look fabulous in comparison.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gorby said:

One thing I will say for the quality of the kit, the level of detail is… completely absent.

The cockpit was the biggest problem. The only ‘detail’ in the cockpit other than a shapeless blob they expect you to believe is a pilot, is something that looks more like an armchair than a ejector seat. Nothing else at all, not even an instrument panel! It looked like the bailiffs had just called - one big empty space. There isn't even a bulkhead behind the pilots seat, so the engine fronts can clearly be seen - which would have made it a tad windy for the pilot. Although there is an engine, it isn't exactly the “Finely detailed engine” it claims on the box, and the exhaust nozzles are just pits of gaping emptiness. Each kit should have the contact details of the Samaritans.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on the plus side, everything else in your collection will look fabulous in comparison.

Well, you could say the same for their XF-91, XF-88 and, XF-90 (all of which I have) and I have seen some very nice examples made out of all of these!  But, I won't discard any kit and, the fun for me is making a presentable model out of what is in the box. I care little for accuracy or otherwise and I think these models actually make a refreshing change from modern shake & bake kits!! Yes, before you ask, I have a pair of the Lindberg X-3s as well!! Both of which will end up as "what ifs". I particularly like the Soviet version illustrated!:lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1