It’s a TARPS! 1/48 Tamiya F-14D Tomcat

Lovely!

Do you have friends at furball as the ‘part 5’ sheet where I assume these markings came from has only just come out? 

edit

PS I hope you used the fishbowl scope for the RIO? Not visible in pics. Also don’t think this early nineties D would have the GPS dome on the spine? 

• Thanks 1

The weathering on US Navy aircraft always intimidates me.  I think mine will have to be done fresh off the line!

Top work, and very very convincing. 

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

Really great work, could you give a brief summary of your weathering technique?  I love the subtlety of this one and I'm stating work on one of these shortly.

Z

Edited by Zebra1922
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Lovely!

Do you have friends at furball as the ‘part 5’ sheet where I assume these markings came from has only just come out? 

edit

PS I hope you used the fishbowl scope for the RIO? Not visible in pics. Also don’t think this early nineties D would have the GPS dome on the spine? 

It’s mid-90s, after the PTIDS upgrade. 

5 hours ago, Zebra1922 said:

Hi there,

Really great work, could you give a brief summary of your weathering technique?  I love the subtlety of this one and I'm stating work on one of these shortly.

Z

Thanks! Nothing special really. However, for tomcats, I do some haphazard preshadong, followed by the base color, and focus on post shading with a lighter color. My wash is The Detailer water based wash, and almost all the rest of my weathering is done with Tamiya weathering sets.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Habu12 said:

It’s mid-90s, after the PTIDS upgrade. 

Is that what the furball sheet says? 

Because in the e book, (detail & scale) presumably where they got the info from, is the exact photo of this jet - crew names match - dated March 92. 

Which makes sense as vf31 had just transitioned to the D and this is a low viz variation of the scheme they carried on the Forrestal for several years (red boards on tails)

So much so that in the picture of this jet on page 157 of said e book it even has a 35237 nose (vertical demarcation, not just the radome) in homage to the old scheme which surprisingly Furball missed. 

VF 31 got the PTID screen & GPS bump updates in 97 or so and did their first proper cruise with those mods in 98 - for that they were on the ABE LINC. They were only on the Vinson till 96. 

Hope that helps. 

PS may email furball about the nose of this jet. 

13 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Is that what the furball sheet says? 

Because in the e book, (detail & scale) presumably where they got the info from, is the exact photo of this jet - crew names match - dated March 92. 

Which makes sense as vf31 had just transitioned to the D and this is a low viz variation of the scheme they carried on the Forrestal for several years (red boards on tails)

So much so that in the picture of this jet on page 157 of said e book it even has a 35237 nose (vertical demarcation, not just the radome) in homage to the old scheme which surprisingly Furball missed. 

VF 31 got the PTID/GPS updates in 97 or so and did their first proper cruise with those mods in 98 - for that they were on the ABE LINC. They were only on the Vinson till 96. 

Hope that helps. 

PS may email furball about the nose of this jet. 

No the FB sheet didn't have that. Either way, I don't care. So it may not have had the PTIDS at the time. The D&S didn't have specific info either. So I interpolated.

13 hours ago, Habu12 said:

No the FB sheet didn't have that. Either way, I don't care. So it may not have had the PTIDS at the time. The D&S didn't have specific info either. So I interpolated.

This. Your model, your choice. Who the heck cares if it's 100% accurate or not?  Well clearly some people but not me for mine or anyone else models for that matter.

I also find it strange why anyone would come onto a thread of a frankly superb model and start nitpicking.  Poor form.

• Thanks 1