Eduard 72nd scale Kunkadlo - Finished

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I was going to use the Airfix kits for a Nimrod 

Afaik although the Fury looks like the nimrod it’s actually quite different. There’s a thread somewhere in the wip forum that goes into great detail.

The whole hart/Fury/Demon/audacity/nimrod family(ies) is(are) really confusing as a lot of them are separate designs that happen to look similar.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Afaik although the Fury looks like the nimrod it’s actually quite different. There’s a thread somewhere in the wip forum that goes into great detail.

The while hart/Fury/Demon/audacity/nimrod family(ies) is(are) really confusing as a lot of them are separate designs that happen to look similar.

Hi Mark I had purchased the two Airfix kits to make the one Nimrod due to the wing span differences between the two types which was the more commonly used route, but with the opportunity to get a lovely Lukgraph kit, I can now use them for separate fury kits!!! 

Chris 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Excellent work Chris!

Thanks Mike,  thought I would finish tonight as all I had to do was the grab wire on the canopy release handle, but the bloomin canopy needs extending down as due to the fuselage mods I sat too high, doe what was I thinking. 

More work on the Kunkadlo with the fuselage together and the engine together too.

spacer.png

The fit is lovely 

spacer.png

The Spitfire is finally finished after tge canopy was sorted out as HB had not made the side frames deep enough and it was exaggerated by my fuselage spine corrections 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to those who have supported me in this build.

Chris

• Like 8

• bigbadbadge changed the title to 1/32 Spitfire Vb, now finished, a Camel and a Buzzard
1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Lovely job Chris. I just went back to see when you’d started, and in my book that’s a pretty reasonable time for a 1/32 build.

John

Thanks John I did take a year out too!!!

Just be aware of the Canopy issue I ended up using the Kit windscreen and sliding part and the Revell rear part and if you add some plasticard square rod to the lower sides of the sliding part it will fit, the others including the Revell sliding part I had wouldn't fit.  

Chris

• Like 1

Lovely job on the Spitfire Chris.  I like the realistic weathering - it’s a used airplane but doesn’t look like it was left out in the sun for 30 years!  Looking forward to seeing the others come to fruition 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Lovely job on the Spitfire Chris.  I like the realistic weathering - it’s a used airplane but doesn’t look like it was left out in the sun for 30 years!  Looking forward to seeing the others come to fruition 

Thanks Mark , I have tried to capture the look ofvthe machine and I particularly liked the chipping on the canopy framing as it looks as though the upright parts of the frame have lost most of their paint in photos, makes it a bit more unusual to model. 

I will stick some photos in RFI soon

Chris

Been doing a bit on this little beauty

This stalled a few years ago as I was struggling to figure out the best place to mount the upper wing.  I had a thought and added the rigging wires and then placed it upside down onto the wing and it worked .

This is the Special Hobby Goblin kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chris

• Like 2

• bigbadbadge changed the title to 1/32 Spitfire Vb, now finished, a Camel and a Buzzard and a Goblin
21 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Is this going to be your lone WIP thread? 😂 great work with RFoD, and now some quite interesting planes unknown to me. 

Thanks Johnny, no the Spitfire in the title is putting people off, they told me in one of the earlier pages . I am just finishing some stalled builds but fancied building the Kunkadlo at the same time.  I may open a fresh WIp for my next builds , yellow Twins Avro and Lockheed.

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looking good Chris.  How will you tension the rigging?

Hi Mark thanks, I have drilled through the top wing and the rigging is pulled all the way through and a small bulldog clip is add to the end to pull it tight and then glue is fed into the hole.  Once dry the top surface excess is trimmed and the hole tidied ready for paint.  If you get a slack bit a hot soldering iron held near by makes it tighten very quickly too. 

This is invisible thread and once rigged it is very strong too.

Chris

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark thanks, I have drilled through the top wing and the rigging is pulled all the way through and a small bulldog clip is add to the end to pull it tight and then glue is fed into the hole.  Once dry the top surface excess is trimmed and the hole tidied ready for paint.  If you get a slack bit a hot soldering iron held near by makes it tighten very quickly too. 

This is invisible thread and once rigged it is very strong too.

Chris

I wondered if that was what you were planning.  I’ve not tried that technique before but plan to give it a go one day.

• Like 1

• bigbadbadge changed the title to 1/32 Spitfire Vb, now finished, a Camel, a Buzzard and a Goblin
31 minutes ago, mark.au said:

No firm plans yet, but I think I might add some WW1 stories to my site.

Excellent somenice aircraft to pick from,  also some lovely interwar types too, Fury and Gladiator  are lovely,  got some of these to do myself.

Further work on the Kunkadlo withvtge fuselage painting being done piccies when something to show . I have had to replace one of the wing struts with brass rod as they had both broken on one side, it was sent from Australia  so has had a long journey.

spacer.png

I have done one and glued the top one although I suspect I will have to replace it too.

Chris

a camel, a buzzard and a goblin walk into a bar... 

Oh, and a must: "see the little goblin, see his camel feet

and his little buzzard-nuzzard, isn't the goblin sweet?" 

I couldn't resist. 

• Haha 2

On 12/12/2020 at 00:48, bigbadbadge said:

Been doing a bit on this little beauty

This stalled a few years ago as I was struggling to figure out the best place to mount the upper wing.  I had a thought and added the rigging wires and then placed it upside down onto the wing and it worked .

This is the Special Hobby Goblin kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chris

Hi Chris,

Goblin is looking great! I was not even aware of this type - will have to do some homework!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1