Eduard 72nd scale Kunkadlo - Finished

Hi All

I have also started another one (CC's ways are rubbing off on me), this time the Hobbyboss 1/32 Spitfire Vb of Jan Zumbach Serial EN951 code RF-D.  The odd shaped fuselage Spine has been well documented online and well it just looks wrong.  I am certainly no expert when it comes to Spitfires but the shape is too curved and appears too shallow.  So I have set out to reshape this.  I have started by comparing canopies and I put out a wanted request for a canopy with some kindly BMers offering and sending me some Canopies, take a bow Nick Belbin and Fightersweep.  I have however got a complete Kit of the desired Spitfire via a generous trade with TrickyDicky210.  Thanks you guys.  I will be using the Revell MkII spitfire Canopy and have added some shots with it taped in place to see the height difference below

79e8c657-ccd3-4d3b-ab4e-f2d4f737d264.JPG

d44e0178-a16f-4b88-9f43-8da388d76b5a.JPG

I have used Plastrut rod glued along the spine on each side and rubbed down to hopefully a better profile

4bafb68c-4a3b-485b-b845-248f6b674dbb.JPG

70b73d5b-9a8e-443b-bc2b-66abe3173624.JPG

Canopy rear section resting in place

de4db59f-508f-4eeb-8303-7f837b153ff0.JPG

That's looking a bit better, just doing a bit at a time so I have fresh eyes each time .

That's all for now

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 12

Hi

I have done a little bit more to the spine which is just about there and also adapted the frame inside this bit by using the top half of the Revell part from the Mk II and the bottom half which is the kit part.

19c4f764-edb4-49d0-9f28-a217a433b289.JPG

9c3169db-489d-4364-8aed-d36390595928.JPG

33bb831a-acac-4be0-bcbd-997893d03794.JPG

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 8

I started one of these a couple of years ago but I couldn't think of a way around the obvious problem of the too rounded spine, and lost enthusiasm for it. Your approach to the problem looks like the right one so I may resume work soon. I presume that the fixed rear portion of the canopy Is from the Revell Kit.

Watching with interest.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi John yes the newer Revell mkII.  I hope it will all work out. The rear portion of the canopy is just the right size where it sits on the fuselage  although I have lowered the area it mounts on by a small amount. It matches quite well still. 

The kit doesn't seem too bad apart from the spine and the cockpit frames although when together the lower parts of the frames should be hidden.  We will see !!!

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

Hi all

Been doing a bit more.  I have cleaned up frame 12 ? and drilled the holes in it.  Not sure about those odd shaped fillets at the bottom will check to see if needed and if not they will come off. Then this is ready for some paint.

a35451a8-b974-49fd-aad7-002046f805b1.JPG

Also been looking at the IP and it's frame.  It just does not look right at all.  Not only is the spine squashed on the fuselage the bottom of the IP frame is squashed too !  I thought I would look at the Revell kit again for inspiration.  If placed in whole the frame being longer and appearing more correct overall, it sits too far down under the fuselage and looks as though it will interfere with the wing fitment.  I also need this frame for a future project so as the IP looks almost acceptable for the Mk Vb, I and in fact the decal has the extra gauge that the Mk Vb has on the left of the panel.  So I have cut off both IPs and added the Revell one to the odd looking Hobbyboss frame and adjusted its overall shape by flattening the top a little and shaving a bit from the sides.  I have since glued it together and will be using this now.

e0b8efd4-be44-41e0-a167-7f84e219c202.JPG

This will look a lot better now

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 5

I was using an Aires cockpit set for mine ( designed for the Hasegawa Mk V ) and there was a significant  difference in the shapes of the cockpit frames. I was also planning to use a Barracuda seat as both the kit and Aires seats are oversize.

You've definitely whetted my appetite now and I might well carry on when I've finished the Battle of Britain Mk 1 which I started 3 years ago.

John

PS if I remember correctly, the frame 12 was designed to sit on the bottom of the fuselage, hence the odd shape.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John. I was wondering about using that cockpit set but the cost is prohibitive at the moment so we I may do is make up the frames instead as I just cannot live with the shape of the the IP panel frame it looks so odd.  I will have a play with that at the weekend. 

Hope it does get you going to start your Vb too.   Thanks for the info on the seat and frame too. 

Another thing with the HB kit is you only get the top portion of the armour plate which rests on the top seat mounts.   

All the best 

Chris 

If you want to upgrade the cockpit without breaking the bank you could try the Barracuda BCR32174 cockpit set which contains some more detailed components and a small sheet of cockpit placards/stencils which really make a huge difference. 

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

If you want to upgrade the cockpit without breaking the bank you could try the Barracuda BCR32174 cockpit set which contains some more detailed components and a small sheet of cockpit placards/stencils which really make a huge difference. 

Cheers

John

Hi John 

Yes I have been eyeing up one on eBay but may go to Hannants to get one but will wait until I have enough for another seat and armour to make the delivery more realistic. 

Off out now to car club night. 

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge

Hi

Been looking at the cockpit interior again and decided to junk all the cockpit frames as nothing looks right there, I have rejoined the Revell IP frame to the IP and will use that minus the compass mount.  The Seat frame also from Revell fits too and if you look at both the photos of the frames they fit really well with only minor modification to the IP frame's lower edge and a smidgeon taken off the top of the IP. 

The joystick will be modified too as it is quite oversized and so I will narrow the main part of the stick and am using the grip from the Revell Kit albeit this will be modified a bit too.

Rudder pedals thinned and moulded straps removed ready for foil ones, the Joystick is oversized and being modified

161d4b01-7bf2-4d8f-8a5c-bf09a693f981.JPG

Revell IP and frame now fits the HB fuselage well

e51d3f0e-086b-40d2-969d-2683061bb04d.JPG

Seat support frame fits well without modification

92641921-8607-44b5-a0ea-7764f8fad35d.JPG

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 6

That looks promising. I remember thinking that the kit frames looked  a little too square '. I pulled my Mk V trop out today and collected various bits and pieces to go with it but I cannot find a Revell rear fixed canopy part, although I know I had a complete extra clear sprue at one time. 

If you have a Revell MkV windscreen it might be worth considering replacing the kit item, which I has the earlier rounde side panels.Have a look at the Hobbyboss Mk V built by @spitfire  a couple of years ago. He used a correction set to re-shape the windscreen aperture but It can be done using  pieces of   Plasticard which I had started to do on mine.

I'm definitely going to continue with mine, so I'll take photos as I progress ( or not ) and post it as a wip when yours is finished.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Hi John 

Thanks.  Glad you have dragged yours out of the stash and will be good to see a WIP too . Your windscreen modifications sound great and would love to see some piccies.  Don't wait for mine to be finished crack on with your one too.  

I have yet to muck around with the windscreen  and will take a look at how to overcome this soon. 

I have cut the Barracuda seat and armour today  and have been working on the joystick by thinning the pivot on the top and adding some sides ready for the cables/wires. Will  carry on with this later as I am watching Harry Potter with my youngest at the mo. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Hi

Done a bit more Reduced the control stick down in width and added the modified Revell grip to the top.  Added the bulkhead from the Revell kit and made some sides which I will detail and trial fitted and all fits okay.  I have added some extentions to the cockpit interior walls which also fit and run to the seat support frame not yet pictured

3c57a923-cfac-446f-8860-21f1025865ce.JPG

bccfe39c-3c85-4899-9145-67da282a68db.JPG

51457734-2505-4b82-ad03-bc94ff228505.JPG

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 10

Hi Chris, I have at least one spare resin control column which you can have, if you 're interested just  drop me a PM with your address..The IP fit looks better but you might want to try to curve the side walls slightly to follow the line of the frame, I did it with mine by warming them with a hairdryer then rolling them on a broom handle, then I decided to use the Aires set. I've also been modifying the Aires set for mine, I'll post something soon as a starter but it may be a while before I continue.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

Hi John 

Thank you for your kind offer of the control column.  That's lovely 

I have been thinking about the side walls and so far I have extended them down to help floor with curved plasticard which fits really well but the HB ones curve away at the bottom and now they are glued in I am a bit stuck so I might just have to grind off all the details off, Re profile them and scratch the interior details .  Which is not sounding as daunting as I thought it would. 

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Nice to see another Spitfire on the go

There's always room for another Spitfire!    :)

Some great work going on here by the OP, but it seems HB have borked up again. I just don't understand that, especially with a subject as iconic as the Spitfire. There are so many examples around the world that could serve as references. Did they not study one? I don't get it. Well anyway, I'm quite anxious to see how this build goes together as I have a IXc on the go at the moment.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill 

Yes it is strange. I don't know what they were thinking.  Could it be a scaled down Trumpeter model ? I don't have their 1/24 kits as I prefer the Airfix offering for its surface details etc and cheaper too. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

All the best 

Chris 

Hi all

I have done a bit more, this time I have been creating the side walls to make a better interior shape to the HB kit.  This was made harder by me sticking the Kit side walls in prematurely.  I should have known better as the Missus is always telling me off about being premature !!! Anyway it turned out to be a bit of a Mojo dampner so I have been building other models  but I thought I would come back to this one.

daa762a5-e46d-46ed-a55d-39c342bc9452.JPG

ed41c256-15ce-4683-84a3-a20159a04fc2.JPG

A bit of a clean up and I can start adding some details

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have found what with a busy life outside of modelling, my Mojo was somewhat lacking lately however I have given myself a talking to and picked up the Spitfire kit again and done a little more.  I have used Miliput to fair in the plasticard sides after thinning the edges a bit and  then added some plasticard details and to really chivvy myself up a coat of Humbrol 78 has been painted.  Hopefully it will look quite good when complete well hopefully better than the kit interior was anyway.

61cf6c68-cd2b-4a2a-aa73-f8e83ec65d32.JPG

071ea6fb-644f-4081-99bd-581af92f0318.JPG

e1d0268d-9a79-4c58-833c-ae38cbb4d4a1.JPG

e5110944-84a7-47e8-91a9-be12a9b2240f.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 10

Excellent job Chris, you really can't see the joins. Now that you've gone to that much trouble I would seriously recommend the Barracuda Spitfire upgrade ( 32-174 ) which will give you lots of stencils in addition to the resin bits.

cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That blended in real nice!

Thanks Thom like thought it would be a nightmare but it wasn't that bad a job really. 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent job Chris, you really can't see the joins. Now that you've gone to that much trouble I would seriously recommend the Barracuda Spitfire upgrade ( 32-174 ) which will give you lots of stencils in addition to the resin bits.

cheers

John

Thanks John.   I think you're right I will take a look at this.   Although I have a part used decals set from a set. I will take  look.

Thanks guys

All the best 

Chris