Eduard 72nd scale Kunkadlo - Finished

20 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Waiting patiently to see if the rivets show through the paint.

I like the Tr9, perhaps I’ll pair my 1/48 Eduard conversion  up with the Mk V when I re-start it, but don’t hold your breath.

John

Thanks John  I will take a look later.  The TR.9 has taken some CA/talc filler to get there so far.  

You have to pair them up now it's in writing now 😄!!! Go for it fella. 

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Waiting patiently to see if the rivets show through the paint.

Hi John 

Painted the sky fuselage band area and it's not looking good for the rivets at all can hardly see them. Such a waste of a few hours of modelling!!!

Chris

Oh dear ( or words to that effect ) it looks as if they don’t work any better in 1/32 than 1/48. The only thing I can think of using them for is a NMF finish where the rivets show as a different shade from the main airframe.

John

• Thanks 1

Yes I think you are right John the NMF idea is a good one.  I tried looking for the Micro mark ones you mentioned and could not locate.  I have some Archers ones but have used those on my model Railway loco kits although I will take a look at them to see if okay for the prominent strengthening plates either side .

Chris 

Hi all

Spitfire has had the undersides painted and now had 2 coats of Humbrol 106, I will add the last one today.  

spacer.png

The Camel has had some paint on the rib tapes as well as the areas in between  all by brush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for dropping by

Chris

• Like 6

More on the Camel

Ln8mT86.jpg

Cream rib tapes and one coat of humbrol 116 in between  all by brush, not as bad to do as you might think.

spacer.png

First coat of thinned paint on the wing tops by brush again. Will let that dry and do another tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking in.

Chris

• Like 8

That’s a fascinating technique. Looks convincing but not overdone; an issue I have with a lot of airbrushed rib effects. On the underside are you using a different colour for the ribs and the wash or just a very thin final coat?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

That’s a fascinating technique. Looks convincing but not overdone; an issue I have with a lot of airbrushed rib effects. On the underside are you using a different colour for the ribs and the wash or just a very thin final coat?

Thanks Mark,  I thought i would give this a go.  The rib tapes are present on the wing surfaces and they are painted Humbrol 103 cream with the infill colour in a thinned coat then built up with another coat around the edges  and then once happy with it the thinned top coats can be brushed on.  

On the undersides I have used the cream again and then the infill is Humbrol 121 and then thinned coat of humbrol 71 linen brushed over.  It's a bit of an experiment really  so will see how it goes. 

Chris

• Like 1

I have a bunch of Sopwiths coming up soon soon ( a Camel, a Dolphin, a Snipe and a Swallow; the snipe may or may not be silver)  so I may well try to adapt the technique. I have all of those humbrol shades and/or plenty of Tamiya near equivalents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I have a bunch of Sopwiths coming up soon soon ( a Camel, a Dolphin, a Snipe and a Swallow; the snipe may or may not be silver)  so I may well try to adapt the technique. I have all of those humbrol shades and/or plenty of Tamiya near equivalents.

Hi Mark

I will try and do another coat later and see what it looks like,  fingers crossed it works!!! Also doing the camouflage on the Spitfire.  

Thanks 

Chris 

• Like 1

Hi 

I have added a further thinned coat of green to the Camel 

spacer.png

Then given a coat of clear

spacer.png

It does not look this light in the flesh it is due to the flash. Not sure whether i like it or may add a very thinned coat to it?

Also painted the first dark green coat on the Spitfire too

spacer.png

spacer.png

That'll do tonight 

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 8

Thanks Mark, it will be interesting to see what a piccie is like in good light.  I will have a look at lunchtime and see if happy or whether to add a really thin coat to it.  Pleased with the way the Spitfire is progressing will give that another coat later tonight.

Chris 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, mark.au said:

Both looking really nice Chris.  I especially like the rib effect on the Camel and your brush work on the Spit.

Thanks fella very kind .  Trying out this effect on the Camel so fingers crossed .

Spit has progressed a bit more, yellow leading edges completed and some decals on at last.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Starting to look a bit better now.

Thanks 

Chris 

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Understatement much? 😂. Looks great!

Thanks Mark,  very kind of you, walkway decals and roundels on the top wing surface now.   The Hobbyboss decals are quite odd and only some can be used, some have a modern font and some are just too small and more like 48th scale,  very odd.

Chris

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Splendid brushwork Chris, how many coats did it take?

John

Thanks John

Green 2 coats with a third lightened coat for fading panel centres.

Grey 3 coats and a 4th faded panel centres

Yellow 4 coats.

Not too bad really.   It is almost all decalled now just got a few more stencils to go now.

Chris

• Like 1

More work on the Camel,  tidied up the great area and gloss coated ready for decals

spacer.png

Also the overlap of the upper surface colour brushed on the edge of the lower surface , not to bad slightly wavy in one or two areas but pleased with this as done free hand.

spacer.png

Just got to tidy up the lower edges of the fuselage and paint the ally bit at the front end then decals on followed  by tail rigging and cables before the fun rigging starts 

Chris

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

More work on the Camel,  tidied up the great area and gloss coated ready for decals

spacer.png

Also the overlap of the upper surface colour brushed on the edge of the lower surface , not to bad slightly wavy in one or two areas but pleased with this as done free hand.

spacer.png

Just got to tidy up the lower edges of the fuselage and paint the ally bit at the front end then decals on followed  by tail rigging and cables before the fun rigging starts 

Chris

They're both coming along nicely Chris - Spit is a cracker!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1