Thunder and Lightning - RAF Kingscliff / 20th Fighter Group 

Thunder and Lightning - RAF Kingscliff / 20th Fighter Group 

Mission: To build a 4 part diorama in 1/48 scale depicting RAF Kingscliff and the US 20th Fighter Group Autumn 1944

The diorama with feature numerous vehicles and accessories, but the main focus on the dioramas will be the 20th fighter Groups and two of its P-38 with one visiting P-47 from the 78th

Here are some pictures that have inspired this project. Particularly the p-38 California Cutie and her sister Gentle Annie. 

A massive thank you to David Knight for suppling the pictures.

Pictures courtesy of David Knight and Royal Frey, USAF Museum 
KC-David-K-pic1_zpsiwuqaxwy.jpg
KC-David-K-pic3_zpsiiqmvkow.jpg
KC-David-K-pic2_zpshcodjuhn.jpg

And so,here we start with some recently complete models on the actual aircraft. 

p-38 California Cutie - 20th FG and p-38 Gentle Annie - 20th FG
KC-Main-p38s_zpsrmb38zv5.jpg

and also complete and ready to display is this 6x6 Fuel Truck and CMK Fuel Trailer. 
KC-Fuel-truck_zpsdfxzaqys.jpg
KC-Jeep-and-truck_zpsogmkvmzl.jpg

Oh, and one of two jeeps to be included, this Follow me Jeep.
KC-Jeep_zps9q5tdvsl.jpg

The diorama with feature numerous other vehicles and accessories, but the main focus on the dioramas will be the 20th fighter Groups and two of its P-38 with one visiting P-47.

Although I will try my best to be as historically accurate as possible I accept certain things won’t be exactly like RAF Kingscliff during the war.
For example: My p-47 will be wearing full D-Day stripes, not half as shown on my reference pics (p-47 Eileen - 78th FG)
…. and the airfield defence with come from a Bofos gun maned by British crews.

So please excuse any historical anomalies as my skill level and budge won’t be able to rectify everything.

The plan goes something like this.
KC-Plan_zpsenf9kydz.jpg

I have a few limiting factors due to the display cabinet and fact ALL my dioramas have the aircraft facing in the same direction.
And so we begin,….

KC-CC2_zpsrkkcpf5h.jpg

KC-CC1_zpssbkimt4s.jpg

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 3

On 9/9/2018 at 10:05 PM, Suprastar3000 said:

After hours of experimenting with plaster, sandpaper and roofing felt I think I'm happy with this look on the concrete.

So, what did you use in the end?

Whatever, yep, it looks the business.

With regards to the figures, are they Tamiya's German tank ammo loading crew? I have that set for a future project and I have to say one of the figures has the most extraordinarily large and 'fingersome' hand of any figure I've ever seen.

I do love that P38 btw.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Thanks guys :)

Badder,

Yeah, totally agree with some of the funny features on the German ammo crew.  The bulk of the bodies are from that set but I have used lots of different arms, legs, heads and hats from various sets with Green stuff to get the composition looking slightly better. Here are a few that need painting. Received a nice looking resin pilot yesterday that also will be added.

Btw: Anyone else find it very frustrating the differences between 1:48 scale figures. Ie. Aiirfix battle ready set figures are absolutes giants compared to some aftermarket resin figures. 

KC-tiny-men_zpswonpox7b.jpg

The concrete:

Its basically roofing bitchumen felt that I have carefully cut. Pre-shaed and then weathered with pigments and chalk. When you tear the corners and make puddles it can look very convincing. That was I did this morning and I'm just waiting for the water effects to harden.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little experimentation this evening on tarmac weathering and mud rendering. Still more pigments to be added, paint the drain cover and scrub those runway marking so they look heavily warn. Oh, and the dreaded static grass to be added which I'm still practicing on, then some dirty puddles.

20181008_203942_zpsghyeqgkg.jpg

20181008_203951_zpsfb1shzyg.jpg

20181008_203927_zpsqciqinpf.jpg

20181008_203910_zpsoaetpnde.jpg

• Like 4

The decals for California cutie was found in a reference book that also had a number of other p38 variations, although the tail identification was airbrushed. Gental Annie was a mix of scratched made decals, serial numbers from lettering sheets and a bodged nose art decal for a 1/35 scale version. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ground work coming on.

Runway and grass on two of the dioramas is pretty much complete.

The muddy puddles came out great and reasonably happy with the static grass after lots of airbrushing tones and shading.

Just fine details left to do then, onto the next section.

P-38-on-base1_zpsxkbzsrma.jpg

P-38-on-base3_zpsscwonawz.jpg

P-38-on-base4_zps21fdccee.jpg

P-38-on-base6_zpsjpnzzowl.jpg

P-38-on-base5_zpszmanb9ca.jpg

P-38-on-base2_zpsh4xq4g99.jpg

• Like 6

Both looking fantastic. Superb 'shelf-fillers!' I jest, they are far more than that.

I'd like to see some close-ups, especially of the grass and muddy puddles.

Rearguards

Badder

• 6 months later...

Been awhile since starting this, but I'm finally calling it a day and throwing in my oily mechanics rag. 1/48 scale P-38 diorama featuring "Gentle Annie" and "California Cutie" with the ground support trucks, crew and "follow me jeep". Not quite as complex as I had originally wanted as I took a break from modelling. But this weekend I decided it must get finished. That said, a 3rd model will be complete at some stage to make them a trio. First time using static grass and was pretty worried about the puddles. Quite please at how they came out and the checkered patten on the jeep nearly drove me mad, but it turned out pretty well too. Hoe you like.

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic1

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic2

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic3

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic4

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic5

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic6

P-38-Diorama-2019-pic7

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

wow! Thanks Badder - High praise indeed. Very much appreciated.

Thank you mate :)

Whist experimenting with the tarmac and runway texture, I made a sample board that initially wrote off as looking far too artificial. This weekend I found it again and started abusing it with sandpaper and a blade.  Now looks very impressive and I'm tempted to remake the bases in the same style. Current have 4 more sample boards waiting the bitchumen glue to harden. Also practicing using resin to cast more detailed drain and manhole covers. If these work well I may chance the composition of the models and rebuild them. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thank you bud 😎. Since making these, I've sorted a few snags and completely remade the tarmac. The tarmac on the originals just looked too smooth and I was't 100% happy. Now the new bases look alittle more true to scale and I'm satisfied.. Will get some pics up at some point.