HMS Eskimo

Even if that’s a can of worms, then I’m with you, @longshanks.  I have never (yet) seen a ‘real’ chain that looks right on a model fo’c’s’le; it’s not just the size of the links (though that obviously matters), it’s also the distinctive nature of anchor cable: flat links rigged at 90 degrees to each other.  Jewellers don’t want that look.  I’d love to be proved wrong.

See parallel Dido build, where I am shortly to reach the same problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

It's your model you should do what you are happy with , I've had my say

Thanks for the maths lesson Kev glad your sums are right I was always could try harder on the old school reports  :doh:

Nice to see that I can open up another   :worms: makes a change from colours and what specifications of said models

The chains are on and not getting changed by the time it is set into the base you will not see much of them anyway  :whistle:

Not happy with the 20mm Oerlikon I have went for the INFINI set I got from Jamie back in April at the SCOT Nationals

The PE and INFINI side by side I must be catching something from you lot to go into this lot  :headbang:

IMG-5635.jpg

IMG-5636.jpg

IMG-5637.jpg

beefy

• Like 9

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:12, longshanks said:

When working out the effective length .. we must take off two times the diameter of steel (for overlap) So 259 - 37 - 37 = 185mm coverage.

Very valid point and one that I had overlooked in my fag packet calculations.  At least your volume of BR67 confirms my hazy recollections on link length.  I didn't think to look in Vol 2, I've got a copy of the later issue on my bookshelf.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK busy couple of weeks with work and daughter back up for half term so small update been playing with camera settings hope these are better for the small bits

working on the TETRA Models Vickers alongside the Oerlekins

IMG-5639.jpg

IMG-5642.jpg

IMG-5641.jpg

beefy

• Like 9

Thanks for the small encouragement lads :whistle:

yes well anyway WEM 4 barrel pom pom done also painted up the decks on the ships boats not sure if they are right  :hmmm:

IMG-5647.jpg

IMG-5649.jpg

also been working on the base

IMG-5638.jpg

IMG-5650.jpg

will be trying for something like the box art a big splash at the bows while cutting through a rough sea

beefy

• Like 13

Looking good! I do like destroyers and think they suit a rough sea better than some of the bigger types (they tend to look more animated generally all things being equal) looks like your nearing the final stretch on this one now.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, robgizlu said:

(And look at that poor unloved BPBCo MGB behind:blahblahblah:)

That is not unloved it is just feared at the minute until my hair grows back  <_<

Anyway small update more about the base when the PVA and tissue had dried I applied a coat of silicone and covered in cling film then pressed the shape of the hull down left it for a few minutes then removed the hull and film

When that was dry I primed with Halfords rattle can then started on the sea colour with Humboldt enamels

IMG-5656.jpg

IMG-5657.jpg

IMG-5660.jpg

IMG-5661.jpg

Also put some smears of silicone onto a biscuit tin lid these will be used as part of the bow wave build up I hope :idea:

beefy 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bugle07 said:

Really liking the sea base, bow wave should be interesting, good luck!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff trying something a bit different from cotton wool or fibers will be trying out on a test subject first though incase it goes well south  :headbang:

beefy

Toilet paper and Vallejo still water can get some interesting results, think Mike at Starling Models posted a YouTube how to video about it a while ago.

• Like 1

Well Done Beefy! Seeing the fantastic detail you've included is most impressive my friend. Really makes me wish I could still work in 1/350 scale. 

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Small update bet you all thought I had forgot about this one with the LSM build

Ships boats and David's fitted and Sid has been busy with the rigging  :spider:

IMG-5754.jpg

IMG-5757.jpg

IMG-5662.jpg

Also been doing some experiments on the bow wave for that BIG Splash I want to try and simulate

beefy

• Like 6

Looking good Beefy, should look great when its all finished and i am very curious to see how that splash turns out, if it works may have to copy it some time as so far i've shied away from that level of "extrene" water!

• Like 1