HMS Eskimo

Well back to the bow after cutting filling and a lot of sanding i think i,am getting there nearly  <_<

IMG_5536.jpg

one thing I nearly forgot when you raise the deck you also have to extend the bow luckily I did this without really thinking about it until it came to trimming of the plastic rod and the re-shape to extend the bow  :doh:

IMG_5537.jpg

Still a small bit of filling to do around the deck edge to square it up  :hmmm:

Keith

• Like 8

Well I was at the Driffield show on Sunday and I had already put a pre- order in with Peter hall to pick up at the show some stuff for Eskimo

I realised that the lower vents for the aft funnel where wrong yes another thing wrong with these kits  :hmmm:

Any how ordered the cut down funnel with the correct vents and the correct ships boats

Peter also said I would need a few other things so he brought them along for me

IMG_5591.jpg

and starting to fit them out you can see the difference in the size of the kit guns to big for the scale really

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

Oh and this was the real reason for the order from Peter

IMG_5590.jpg

Maybe when I have had enough practice with the trumpeter kits I will have the balls to try this one  😵

IMG_5567.jpg

Keith

• Like 9

Ooh very nice! Peter's a really nice guy and oh so helpful.

I predict you'll find his kit there a dawdle to put together. The Imperial was absurdly easy and only took me a few months because I changed the ship class!

I'm going to start my S-class destroyer kit next which won't need any new funnels made. I think one of these kits could be built to a good standard in a few weeks if I (or you) kept up an effort and did a bit regularly. Honestly, they're really simple to build. You'll love it!

• Like 2

Look away for two seconds and this appears! Good work on the bow correction, looks spot on now.

I knew Trumpy had got a good few bits wrong with this kit (most things?)but those turrets are completely the wrong shape, before you even get into the scale difference.

With all the goodies added this will be a great practice for Janus. Good luck!

Geoff 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bugle07 said:
3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

... Peter's a really nice guy and oh so helpful. ...

Yes, he was very helpful supplying parts for my Elco build, as well.

2 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

... Good work on the bow correction, looks spot on now. ...

Perfect!

The new guns look much better, too.

42691483370_30dbe91817_b.jpg

John

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Perfect!

The new guns look much better, too.

42691483370_30dbe91817_b.jpg

John

Yes, looking really good. And I believe that is HMCS Haida John, which I am hoping to have the pleasure to visit very soon as I'm off to Toronto shortly to visit my son! Hope to get plenty of pictures.

Terry

• Like 2

On 9/6/2018 at 8:52 AM, robgizlu said:

Fine progress Beefy - those guns look Sooo much better

Rob

On 9/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, longshanks said:

Doing a grand job there Matey

Plastic kit turned into a multimedia kit, I reckon you're well on the way to Janus

Kev

Thanks Gent's

Small update been playing around with the Colourcoats paints on an old paint Mule to get the airbrush settings and mix with the thinners think I have it  🤔

primed the hull red and then started on the white and then the Blue n painting and masking made up the search light platform and one of the small boats

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

Will add the boot top line and add the bridge and funnels after a few touch ins

beefy

• Like 11

1 hour ago, KAYELL said:

Great progress

I am keeping my eyes on the build processes learning from an expert.

ER no expert mate I just copy what others are doing  :whistle:

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Beefy - what colour have you sprayed there?  ?B55 - what pressure settings are you finding working?

And it looks damned fine BTW

Rob

Hi Rob yes B55 with a very small drop of the white in to give it a more fade look ready for the weathering part

I, am working the airbrush at about 2 BAR and a mix of 60 paint 40 thinner it works well pleased with the ones I have used so far

beefy

• Like 2

Hi Keith! 🙂

Ooo HMS Eskimo! I'll be watching with interest!

Got this one in the stash & it's a toss up between this (as HMS Punjabi) and HMS Daring (T45) as to what gets laid down on the slipway next!

I see you've gone the whole hulk on the AM! Great stuff and very neat job on the bow!

Now, I see Pete's also given you replacements for the 4.7"s  Are you/Is he saying Trumpy got these wrong too? 🙄

Also, what's with the funnel business? 🤔

I've got all the other corrective pieces from WEM and Northstar (boats, props, 4", 50 cal MG's, pom-pom) plus the WEM PE sheet, but it looks like it doesn't end there!

PS. Is there a good reference source on these class of destroyer someone can recommend?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, mick said:

great work

Thank you Mick

On 9/12/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bugle07 said:

Very nice, quick work as well. Flying along!

Geoff 

Thanks geoff

On 9/12/2018 at 12:52 PM, BeeKay said:

Love it with the paint on mate, they seem to be working a treat!

Brian

Thanks mate they are better to work with than I had thought

On 9/13/2018 at 5:42 AM, RussellE said:

Hi Keith! 🙂

Ooo HMS Eskimo! I'll be watching with interest!

Got this one in the stash & it's a toss up between this (as HMS Punjabi) and HMS Daring (T45) as to what gets laid down on the slipway next!

I see you've gone the whole hulk on the AM! Great stuff and very neat job on the bow!

Now, I see Pete's also given you replacements for the 4.7"s  Are you/Is he saying Trumpy got these wrong too? 🙄

Also, what's with the funnel business? 🤔

I've got all the other corrective pieces from WEM and Northstar (boats, props, 4", 50 cal MG's, pom-pom) plus the WEM PE sheet, but it looks like it doesn't end there!

PS. Is there a good reference source on these class of destroyer someone can recommend?

Hi RussellE

Great to hear from you again as for the 4.7" yes trumpeter have these wrong you can see from the photo below they are over scale and should have a more rounded look for the time scale of fit I,am looking for Eskimo was rebuilt after losing her bow at the second battle of Narvik so she was updated for the fit of the time during 1940 I, am looking at her during her time as in the Artic Convoys

IMG_5605.jpg

Most of my reference comes from these books, internet and Peter Hall who is very help full when it comes to information while chatting at the shows he attends

IMG_5527.jpg

As for the Funnel business most Tribals during re-fits after 40-41 had the Aft funnel cut down to give better stability and to reduce the risk of the added AA hitting it

More work done main parts fitted deck touched in and the amo lockers added they need painting in to match the main structures

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

beefy

• Like 11

On 9/15/2018 at 5:04 AM, beefy66 said:

Hi RussellE

Great to hear from you again as for the 4.7" yes trumpeter have these wrong you can see from the photo below they are over scale and should have a more rounded look for the time scale of fit I,am looking for Eskimo was rebuilt after losing her bow at the second battle of Narvik so she was updated for the fit of the time during 1940 I, am looking at her during her time as in the Artic Convoys

Most of my reference comes from these books, internet and Peter Hall who is very help full when it comes to information while chatting at the shows he attends

As for the Funnel business most Tribals during re-fits after 40-41 had the Aft funnel cut down to give better stability and to reduce the risk of the added AA hitting it

More work done main parts fitted deck touched in and the amo lockers added they need painting in to match the main structures

beefy

Hi Keith!

Great to see you still lurking around the salty side of things too!

How're you going with the twin Bismarck/Tirpitz build and the KGV? Haven't seen any updates on them in a while?

That's a shame about the 4.7"s being oversize too... Would you happen to know if there's an AM replacement readily available or is this a Pete "special"?

Punjabi was lost in a collision with the KGV quite early in her career before receiving most of the refits the surviving Tribals did, but from what I read she did receive the 4" replacement on X turret. Would any of your references mention if she had the rear turret cut down to accommodate that?

Russ

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RussellE said:

Hi Keith!

Great to see you still lurking around the salty side of things too!

How're you going with the twin Bismarck/Tirpitz build and the KGV? Haven't seen any updates on them in a while?

That's a shame about the 4.7"s being oversize too... Would you happen to know if there's an AM replacement readily available or is this a Pete "special"?

Punjabi was lost in a collision with the KGV quite early in her career before receiving most of the refits the surviving Tribals did, but from what I read she did receive the 4" replacement on X turret. Would any of your references mention if she had the rear turret cut down to accommodate that?

Russ

Hi Russell doing more than lurking finished 2 builds this year   :yahoo:

As for the KGV well she is still boxed but maybe soon  :hmmm:

Bismark and Tirpitz  😵 think you may have me mixed up with KPNuts

As for the 4.7" it was a Peter special but he is expanding his range of accessories on his web site for different scales I, am sure he would be able to sort you some out if you e-mailed him

I will try and look through some of my reference books to see if I can find out about PUNJABI

Meanwhile added some home made details to the torpedo tubes and prepping more of the small deck fittings for paint

IMG_5607.jpg

beefy

• Like 6

5 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Russell doing more than lurking finished 2 builds this year   :yahoo:

As for the KGV well she is still boxed but maybe soon  :hmmm:

Bismark and Tirpitz  😵 think you may have me mixed up with KPNuts

As for the 4.7" it was a Peter special but he is expanding his range of accessories on his web site for different scales I, am sure he would be able to sort you some out if you e-mailed him

I will try and look through some of my reference books to see if I can find out about PUNJABI

Meanwhile added some home made details to the torpedo tubes and prepping more of the small deck fittings for paint

beefy

heheee, silly me getting my builds mixed up! Of course it's Berndm building Bismarck/Tirpitz side by side! Doh! Forehead slap!

Amazing to think Trumpy got something as critical as the 4.7"s overscale.

Thanks for looking that up for me. From the pictures I can find on Punjabi I think she missed out on the funnel shortening.

Great progress btw! Bring it on! 🙂

• Like 1

Small update few bits added search light tower and forward mast and yard arms

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

Had a mishap with the starboard pennant number split on me and does not look right will remove and make up a new one from the Atlantic decal set I have

beefy

• Like 5