HMS Eskimo

Starting another build now I have a clear slipway after Abercrombie is done.

HMS Eskimo a tribal class destroyer built on the Tyne now this kit has a few issues  :doh: so i will attempt to correct them.

I will be using the WEM Tribal PE set and also the ships boat set from WEM and the North Star 4 barrel pom-pom

but first I have to re-shape the shear on the Bow and re-locate the hawser pipes for the anchors  :headbang:

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

As you can see the bow shear on the kit is flat this needs to be raised by 3mm back to about the breakwater

It should look like this as with the Atlantic Models HMS Scorpion kit but why do all this work

So I can build up my skills with the PE and all the other stuff I do not want to make a mess of an expensive resin kit so this is another practice build and the plastic kit was only £20

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

So will start to pack out the rise in the shear with various size plastic rods then fill in the gaps and hawser holes

Wish me luck

beefy

• Like 7

Nice one Keith.

Here's a still from a colour cine film taken from HMS Nelson during OP Pedestal in 1942.

e40a9a43-ee3e-457e-9b05-db20a61085e9.jpg

Note how non-green and pale the Western Approaches light blue is, and avoid the ridiculous semi-luminescent abominations often seen on models :D

• Like 4

Cheers Jamie

Nice one to help with the reference

oh and I forgot to mention about the totally ridiculous colour chart from Trumpeter they have it as light and dark greys not white and light blue as Jamie's photos shows

By the way Jamie I got the Western Approaches set from Duncan and Steve on Saturday at Scale Scotland

Thought you might pop in to make sure I got the colours right  :book:

beefy

• Haha 1

Hi beefy.

WWII Tribals are beautiful ships.  Looking forward to following your build.

The last surviving Tribal destroyer - HMCS Haida - is berthed in Hamilton, Ontario, restored as she was in 1963 - http://www.hmcshaida.com/ship/photos/ship.aspx.   

I've toured her a couple of times & taken a few photos.  Let me know if you have a question about a specific part of the ship, & I'll see if I can find a photo.

29369132567_e115d76a30_b.jpg

29369781787_209f07b719_b.jpg

John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

No Fog on your Tyne  :whistle:

Not hanging about are you, look forward to  seeing this built up

Kev

Thanks Kev trying to catch up after the summer lazy days but that looks to be all over now  🌦️

59 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Hi beefy.

WWII Tribals are beautiful ships.  Looking forward to following your build.

The last surviving Tribal destroyer - HMCS Haida - is berthed in Hamilton, Ontario, restored as she was in 1963 - http://www.hmcshaida.com/ship/photos/ship.aspx.   

I've toured her a couple of times & taken a few photos.  Let me know if you have a question about a specific part of the ship, & I'll see if I can find a photo.

29369132567_e115d76a30_b.jpg

29369781787_209f07b719_b.jpg

John

Hi John i just wish we had something like this preserved in our area

tribal's are like the pure bred racehorse of the destroyers and I think Hiada was built by the same yard as Eskimo

Keith

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Nice work! I did the 1/700 Eskimo but I couldn't be bothered to fix the bow! I'm now doing Flyhawk's 1/700 HMS Legion, which is another Tyne built ship (Hebburn I think).

thanks

Mike

Yes Mike legion was built up here Hawthorn Leslie yard so many back then and now nothing  <_<

Keith

1 minute ago, beefy66 said:

Yes Mike legion was built up here Hawthorn Leslie yard so many back then and now nothing  <_<

Keith

Yes along with a few other ships! My Dad used to work in Hebburn for a few years but nothing to do with ships!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

... i just wish we had something like this preserved in our area ...

So the story goes, Haida almost made it to the scrap yard.  She was saved by 5 men who felt the ship’s legacy should be preserved.  They mortgaged their houses & bought her for $20,000 Cdn. in 1964.   She's owned by the Canadian government now, & completed a refit in 2016.  She was recently commissioned as the RCN's first ceremonial flagship.  Looks like she'll be around for a long time. :clap2:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

My Imperial was another Hawthorn Leslie ship :)

Eye you canna beat a good Geordie built ship  :whistle:

29 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Looks like she'll be around for a long time. 

Well maybe I will get to see her up close on my next trip over the pond

Keith

• Like 2

Filling in work started will let these bit set over night

IMG_5526.jpg

And my reference material for now but will be looking at the weekend at the East Riding show

IMG_5527.jpg

And my new paints to try out

IMG_5529.jpg

Keith

• Like 7

Mind if I jump on for the ride Keith? Tribals have been a huge favourite ever since I read my Dad's copy of The Navy is Here. I'd like to do either Cossack as she was then or maybe Maori as she was later so keen to get some tips off this build.

Steve.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Mind if I jump on for the ride Keith? Tribals have been a huge favourite ever since I read my Dad's copy of The Navy is Here. I'd like to do either Cossack as she was then or maybe Maori as she was later so keen to get some tips off this build.

Steve.

Steve, your post jogged my memory.  Back in the early '70's, I purchased a reference book entitled - Warships in Profile Volume 1, that might be of interest.  The book has a large 24 page section about HMS Cossack, including a number of good size B&W photos of Cossack & other Tribals, and a two page spread with a colour drawing of the Cossack's stbd profile.  There's also a B&W photo & colour drawing of Eskimo showing her two tone 1941-42 Western Approaches paint scheme for Keith.  The section ends with a table listing each Tribal destroyer, the builder, & fate.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks John, sounds like one to track down, that's a bit spendy just now but there may be others out there or I may just have to save up a bit. :( Not that there is any fun in that. :D

Steve.

I noticed those prices. :o  I paid $22.95 Cdn. in 1972.  ...  And no, I didn't remember the price.  It's written on the inner flap. :lol:

John

• Haha 1

I've just had what I hope was a light bulb moment in thinking that Warships in Profile was a collection of individual Warship Profiles in which case they are available on the Boxart den website. 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Warships/02-HMS-Cossack

That might have to do for now, I'll look out for a hard copy sometimes .

Steve.

• Like 1

That's it - the complete section on Cossack from the book!  The Cossack is the 2nd profile in the book, hence Warship 2.

Good find!  Look at the money you've saved. :thumbsup:

Here are links to Eskimo's paint scheme for Keith.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Warships/02-HMS-Cossack/HMS-Cossack-2-15-960

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Warships/02-HMS-Cossack/HMS-Cossack-2-19-960

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 2

Steve welcome aboard I need all the help I can get to 

John great links they will come in very helpful 

the profile of Eskimo also answers another of the issues with this kit the aft funnel needs to be cut down 

most Tribals had this done buy 41 to give better stability more work to do 

beefy 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JohnWS said:

The last surviving Tribal destroyer - HMCS Haida - is berthed in Hamilton, Ontario,

This is an interesting build. I love Tribals (including next gen type 81's). I am visiting Toronto in a couple of weeks and plan to get down to Haida for a good look!

Terry

• Like 2

Started work on the funnel while the putty sets on the bow  :doh:

cut 3mm from the top which as it happens there is a clear line to follow from but the funnel tops are solid so need drilling out and shaping

IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_5531.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

beefy

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Sterling stuff - Beefy - that was a fast transition!!

This looks good - I'll be interested to see how the Sovereign paints work out

Rob

Thanks Rob i have already started using the Sovereign paints on another subject a modern Russian destroyer but it is on hold while I concentrate on Eskimo but they go on very smooth.

20 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's a nice clean cut. Simple but satisfying! :D

Yes simple is the way I like it but it never works out that way  :headbang:

and last thing for tonight funnel tops fitted and aft platform

IMG_5535.jpg

Keith

• Like 6