1/48 Revell Jaguar GR.1A

Briefly back on the Jag. Does anyone know when RAF Jags started getting these chaff/flare dispensers fitted? 

Would it be accurate on a late 80's one, or was it only after the Gulf War?

IMG39271537606629.jpg

Nice work on the fences, looking very good to me.

As regards the chaff/flare dispensers under the back end, I can't give you a definitive answer, but when looking for my own build (which looks to be about the same stage as yours) they were definitely fitted by the late 80's. The earliest I've come across is a photo is '83 (Jaguar GR1 XZ109  at Leeuwarden in September 1983 on Airliners.net) which was plenty early enough for me. I found plenty of photos after that where they appeared not to be fitted. So I guess you can't go too far wrong either way.

One thing that I'm really not clear on is whether they carried the Phimat chaff dispenser as well as those on the underside at the same time. In the picture I've linked, it looks like they probably did as there's a ALQ101 ECM pod on the port wing and I am then assuming the Phimat is on the starboard wing.

Sorry as I'm not sure I've helped at all there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Filler that's great info! Definitely going with the chaff buckets fitted then. From what I remember watching them from Colt, most of the 41 sqn ones had the Phimat and ECM pod, one each side like you say.

I'd like to make it without the big camera pod really, kind of ruins the sleek lines of the Jag, but 41 almost always seemed to carry them.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the camera pod. I must admit, it's probably a bit boring but I tend to prefer the 'airshow look' of being very light, as this is how more often than not I remember seeing them. So I often leave off most of the dangly bits. I also much prefer a closed canopy too as preserving the line of the jet feels important to me, but I understand why many leave them open after putting so much effort into detailed and accurate cockpits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Filler said:

One thing that I'm really not clear on is whether they carried the Phimat chaff dispenser as well as those on the underside at the same time. In the picture I've linked, it looks like they probably did as there's a ALQ101 ECM pod on the port wing and I am then assuming the Phimat is on the starboard wing.

Once the mod was carried out and the AN/ALE40 dispensers were fitted they usually stayed on. The Phimat/ECM pods or AIM 9G Sidewinders on the outboards were only fitted when required for pilot training/exercises/ops. For normal day to day flying the outboards would be empty or have a CBLS fitted.

That photo of XZ109, it will have a Phimat pod on the opposite pylon. The ECM pods were only ever paired with a Phimat pod, whereas if you see a Phimat pod the opposite side could be an ECM pod or a Sidewinder (if you get my meaning)!

To understand the use of each of the countermeasures equipment. The Phimat pod was just a chaff dispenser, and the AN/ALE 40 dispensers were loaded with IR flares.

• Like 2

So while my gf is visiting her parents, I got the chance to finish off the airframe then get the dark sea grey sprayed on. Took advantage of the brief afternoon sunshine to spray her outside. Excuse the 'lawn', it hasn't been delivered yet!

IMG39641538325623.jpg

IMG39661538325619.jpg

IMG39651538325622.jpg

IMG39671538325622.jpg

Hopefully it'll look ok despite me just realising now that it's satin not matt! 🤦‍♂️ It's not too shiny once dry though, it'll just look like a clean Jag, straight back from St Athan after a service! 

• Like 2

Looking good. We really are at the same point with this kit. I’ve been putting the grey on myself this afternoon. Not going as well as yours, as for reasons I haven’t figured yet I’ve tried to freehand paint the thing. I’ve not used the brush for years and it shows. Plus, grey camo on grey primer.... well.

Am I correct in thinking you’ve left the LMRTS bit off the nose and will fit it after painting?

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm so bad at brush painting I spray whenever I can! I'll have to handpaint the green though so that's where it usually goes a bit Pete Tong. 

Yes, kind of - I just fitted the top part of the laser nose as there's window in the lower part, so thought it'd be easier to handpaint round that later once all the spraying and stuff is done.

Still not decided on the stores yet, except it's definitely having the underwing fuel tanks. It's a shame the kit didn't include those practice bomb carriers for the outer pylons, 41 seemed to fit them most of the time I think.

Green now brush painted (Tamiya XF-81). The undercarriage doors and airbrakes are blu-tacked in place just while I painted the main colours. I'm quite pleased with how she looks, although she's a little bit shiny. 

IMG39761538415180.jpg

Anyone know if the inboard pylons were all over green, grey or mixed?

• Like 1

Nice work again. The colours are spot on and the camo pattern looks bob on too. I concur with Phone Phixer regarding the pylons, always one colour and the same, either grey or green. I have also noticed that the tanks are almost always camo, with green at the front and back with a grey middle third, but I have seen a couple of photos where they're all green. Pylons and tanks are often tricky to see in photos though as they're so often in very dark shade under the wings.

Have you decided whether you're going to add the camera pod yet? I know what you meant about clean lines, but I guess it's something that makes a 41 squadron Jag a 41 squadron Jag.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. The inner plyons are already sprayed grey so I'll stick with that. 

I know what you mean about them looking dark, it's hard to tell, same with the fuel tanks - I've seen all green and green/grey. I think I'll spray the middles grey as most seem to be camo, especially on earlier Jags.

I do like the colours, but still a bit concerned she's too shiny, is there a matt all over spray coat, or does that only work in reverse for glossing matt coats?

This kit has totally converted me from 1/72 to 1/48 though, apart from for big stuff like V-bombers and Nimrods. 1/48 is much better for fighters!

I think I'll have to use the recce pod unless I can find a few photos of 41's Jags without it (other than at airshows). If I do use it I'll probably go the whole hog and add the ECM and Phimat gizmos on the outers too, a fully loaded Jag looks pretty mean. 

I've added the black bars on the leading edges, I assume on the real thing these are de-icers?

Decided to go with the recce pod, and painted that plus the tanks in green/grey camo. Need to choose the right colour for the gun ports next, it looks from most photos like they're a kind of metallic red. I haven't got any paint that colour so I'll try a mix. Maybe Humbrol 56 with Humbrol 19 will work.

IMG39951538514306.jpg

IMG39941538514305.jpg

IMG39971538514638.jpg

IMG39961538514305.jpg

It was a bit fiddly painting the black leading edge strips, but they're just about acceptable now I think. A few little aerials added and the anti-glare panel painted. I'd like to display the Jaguar with the canopy open, but Revell provide no hinge or anything to do this, I'll have to botch something together from the spares bag.

IMG40011538588394.jpg

IMG40021538588393.jpg

• Like 1

Has anyone made a 1/48 Jag with the undercarriage retracted?

I got mine from ebay and one of the oleo struts is missing ...

IMG40031538602525.jpg

Is there anyone with a spare who'd be so kind as to donate one please?

That's a nuisance. Sorry I can't help with the missing part, but as a last resort, is it something you can scratch from some spare sprue or even some Evergreen rod?

The black panels do go a long way to transforming the look don't they? It's odd when it's relatively so little paint but the impact is significant. Nice colour match on the gun port too. It's going to look great when the decals are on.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, yes I'll probably use a bit of old Vulcan fuel pipe, it's a similar shape, shouldn't be too noticeable.

You're right, I never noticed the black strips before, but they do make a difference, it's hard getting them the same size though, one always seemed a bit thicker than other! Just about close enough now. Good enough for me anyway. 

The gun port was just a guess really, humbrol 56 and 19 mixed together. In photos of real Jags some look redder than others, maybe they've been polished.