1/48th Airfix Jaguar GR.3, 54 Sqn RAF.

Hiya Folks,

Another `oldie' that I don` t think I have shared with you here,....... this is the `/48th scale Airfix Jaguar GR.3,...... an aircraft which was sadly withdrawn too early and which would have been ideal for use in Afghanistan with its advanced avionics, helmet mounted sight etc,......... I worked with them myself as part of a FAC team and they were the best in the business alongside the Harrier boys! 

This model was brush painted,

Jag 4Jag 3Jag 2

Jag 1

And a 1/72nd Hasegawa kit in the wonderful old wrap around scheme, wearing 20 Sqn markings from RAF Germany;

jaguar 20-3

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 45

Great looking models, have always liked the Jaguar but can't help thinking it always seemed like a poor relation in comparison to the other fast jets in service of the day. 

• Like 1

Awesome! Great models of a wonderful jet, which as you say was retired far, far too soon. I remember numerous days in Norfolk and at Coltishall watching these thundering over the countryside or along the coast.

I'm certain the Jag and its pilots could still be making a credible and valuable contribution to our defence if our politicians weren't so ignorant and short-sighted.

Not sure how the 1/48 Airfix Jag compares to the Revell one, but I'm going to start the latter fairly soon I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Awesome! Great models of a wonderful jet, which as you say was retired far, far too soon. I remember numerous days in Norfolk and at Coltishall watching these thundering over the countryside or along the coast.

I'm certain the Jag and its pilots could still be making a credible and valuable contribution to our defence if our politicians weren't so ignorant and short-sighted.

Not sure how the 1/48 Airfix Jag compares to the Revell one, but I'm going to start the latter fairly soon I think.

unfortunately they all pretty much ran out of fatigue life :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Pretty sure it’s the same mold reboxed.

Excellent work as ever Tony, your brush work is flawless.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

great pair of jags, I do prefer the wrap around to grey but modern thinking and all that mumbo jumbo. I actually prefer the jag with everything down.  I wish there was a 1/32 kit......

Steve.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 2

Thank you to everybody for your very kind remarks and glad you like it. The Airfix kit is quite a handful, needing some filler in places,..... but it is not impossible by any means.

10 minutes ago, bar side said:

Nice build.  I could never get my Airfix gr3 to sit quite level.  Did you find the decals ok? The kit ones can be a bit out of register

Thanks.....  it did take a bit of jiggling! I know what you mean about the decals,...... I asked Airfix for a replacement set when I built this years ago and from the three sets that they sent to me I was able to manage OK.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks.....  it did take a bit of jiggling! I know what you mean about the decals,...... I asked Airfix for a replacement set when I built this years ago and from the three sets that they sent to me I was able to manage OK.

I didn’t try in the end so kudos for persevering! Did mine with an aftermarket special tail

0cPYoe7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bar side said:

I didn’t try in the end so kudos for persevering! Did mine with an aftermarket special tail

0cPYoe7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Very nice indeed,..... but I really wanted to do a 54 Sqn bird with the bars and insignia,...... although my favourite schemes are the RAF Germany wrap around grey/green.