Another Whirlwind.

TonyW

Heavy rain on Sunday prevented any outside work, so a days modelling suddenly presented itself. Deep Joy as Stanley Unwin might have said.

A trip to the loft unearthed a couple of new builds for the GB and here's the first of them. It's another Airfix Whirlwind, in its 1977 issue box. I would have preferred it to have been the earlier one, just to have the first version here rather than another second issue. It was there looking at me though and as luck would have it, I have a scheme in mind that I'm really happy to have a go at. Quite a bit got done yesterday, so this one will get finished at a fair old rate if I'm lucky.

Here's progress so far...

IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5491.jpg

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

I've cut of the pilots head and turned it to port a bit. He's suddenly come to life! I hope he will be seen in the closed up cockpit as that's where he's going.

Everything I need to finish this one is sitting on my bench, so progress will be fast. The kit decals are wildly off centre but I have replacements ready and waiting.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7

I stupidly sold one of these for virtually nothing a few years back and have kicked myself ever since. I really do like the look of this original issue kit and must try to source one in good time. We’ve had two green and browns ones already, how about one with a bit of grey in it Tony? 

Big thanks for adding another build to this GB. What else have you got hidden in that loft?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

The instruction sheet calls out grey and green cammo, but I'm afraid mine will be yet another sand and spinach jobby. References won't let me deviate Dave.

The loft has more kits than I want to admit to. I was looking for another kit altogether when this one and the F104 turned up. If the builds I have on the go at the moment all get done I'll be taking another look upstairs for sure. This GB is tailor made for me! 😁

Tony.

• Like 3

Locked on the Horns of a Dilemma... My chosen scheme has thrown up a slight problem.

Here's the way I'm heading... Another comic book cover copy.  I enjoyed the stress free Zero build earlier and quite like the idea of having a selection of these kind of builds on display. I'm tracking down likely looking comics as we speak.

IMG_5507.jpg

The problem is apparent once the comic has been read. The cover shows V-HE. However, the hero of the story flies J-HE. I've sorted out cover decals and I can also cover the J-HE version. Which one to pick though?

263 Sqn is featured throughout the story and events follow real life fairly closely. Our hero gets to wipe out half the Luftwaffe using J-HE but that kind of thing is normal for these comics. It all adds to the enjoyment of them.

I'm away from my bench for a day or so. No doubt I'll have decided one way or another when I get back.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

The problem is apparent once the comic has been read. The cover shows V-HE. However, the hero of the story flies J-HE. I've sorted out cover decals and I can also cover the J-HE version. Which one to pick though?

263 Sqn is featured throughout the story and events follow real life fairly closely. Our hero gets to wipe out half the Luftwaffe using J-HE but that kind of thing is normal for these comics. It all adds to the enjoyment of them.

I'm away from my bench for a day or so. No doubt I'll have decided one way or another when I get back.

Why not both versions Tony. One side finished as V-HE and the other as J-HE as per your comic book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

Great link to the comic - or should that be 'graphic novel' - discuss...

Wonder if you still get them?

i think i may have had a fair collection of them.......achtung tommy springs to mind......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Wonder if you still get them?

i think i may have had a fair collection of them.......achtung tommy springs to mind......

I got this off Amazon a few months ago...

51-auf884yL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

...at a whopping 656 pages it is brilliant fun.

• Like 1

I picked this up at a model/figures shop some years ago (Pippen Toys sadly no longer in Glasgow) and it is a fantastic read. The artwork is also brilliant. I subsequently got a similar True Grit version which was more land/sea based. The books come with a handy place-marker! Super build and chat as usual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Why not both versions Tony. One side finished as V-HE and the other as J-HE as per your comic book.

What a good idea! That's sorted the codes out then. Thanks for the red hot tip!

• Like 2

Quite a bit done on the Whirlybird, cammo nearly done including the probably inaccurate yellow leading edge.  I've added that as the build is straying dangerously close to a real finish! The idea was to build it comic book accurate. That plan got a hit when I realised the codes in the comic are for real, and there's loads of pictures of the real H_HE out there. The build is on the home straight now, so it gets finished in a semi accurate finish.

Here it is as of five minutes ago, alongside an earlier build of the firs issue kit.

IMG_5531.jpg

And as a bonus, here's the first issue T2 bag. Lovely stuff!

IMG_5509.jpg

More later.

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's looking great, Tony, yellow bands and tailfin flashes and all! It may be an optical illusion but there certainly seems to be striking dimensional differences between the first and second toolings of this kit. (Some day, I'll get round to building them both). Looking forward to seeing this one 'flying'. Regards, Mike.

With those small wheels and egg shaped engine nacelles, that first Airfix offering looks more like something Meng would be doing of late. That’s one badly misshapen model design there John and ‘thankfully’ looks nothing like the 2nd release, which is much more presentable. Thanks for posting, I think I’ll leave the first one well alone should I see one. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

This one's just about done now, a tiny bit of paint touch up needed, then it's photo time and off to the Gallery with it.

Here's a quicky shot until tomorrow , I'll take a few more in daylight in the morning.

Tony.

IMG_5586.jpg

• Like 5