This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dave Batt

BBC Drama headline (didn't believe it!)

It pains me a lot to be defending it, but the “stuff that was always falling off” was the the biological weapon that transformed the surface of Earth into something more Martian. They were Areoforming our planet, as I now know it’s called...

That was a theme that they lost track of... that the “Invasion” wasn’t the War Machines, and the “victory” was a defeat. I’m waiting for the adaptation of The Kraken Wakes, where global warming and sea level rise is the work of the Old Gods...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It pains me a lot to be defending it, but the “stuff that was always falling off” was the the biological weapon that transformed the surface of Earth into something more Martian. They were Areoforming our planet, as I now know it’s called...

That was a theme that they lost track of... that the “Invasion” wasn’t the War Machines, and the “victory” was a defeat. I’m waiting for the adaptation of The Kraken Wakes, where global warming and sea level rise is the work of the Old Gods...

best,

M.

I suppose there could be scope for a sequel, in that the first invasion wasn't an invasion as such, it was just an exploratory probe with the intention of Areoforming (new word to me!) the Earth and the proper invasion with the real Martians will follow in the future.

Ore maybe not :shrug:

I could have coped with the story from the point of view of Snfllgt, the tentacled blob who had the onerous task of spearheading his/her/their peoples' efforts to leave a dying planet and had the task of protecting them from the pale-skinned bipeds who seemed to be so fretful over relinquishing chunks of their green and pleasant land, but I really did want more than just a vague nod to Wells' plot and imagination.

Edited by Dave Batt
Deep thought . . .

Three hours of my life wasted. Most of what I was going to say has been covered already so, I won't bother repeating. Basically a disastrous mess. 

Take my advice. Read the book. Based on this and, their recent "adaptation" of Dracula , I'm going to be very wary of any future attempts by the BBC to "adapt" any other classic novels.

Allan

Utterly awful.

Shared the same name as Well's work that was about it.

Make the lead character female and have a dig at the colonial days of the Empire, no political agenda here. Haven't they learned from the travesty that a certain time traveller has become?

Pretty bad when the Yanks have done it better twice.

19 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Pretty bad when the Yanks have done it better twice.

TBH you can't really compare the original 50's version because it's a classic the same as Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still....

I recently watched the first episode and rate it as so-so. I can see the drift from the original story starting and some of the special effects are just cinematic horse hockey! 

You don't even get to see the Martians! I wanted slug-like creatures larger than a bear! And the fighting machines don't do it for me. 

Chris