This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dave Batt

BBC Drama headline (didn't believe it!)

It pains me a lot to be defending it, but the “stuff that was always falling off” was the the biological weapon that transformed the surface of Earth into something more Martian. They were Areoforming our planet, as I now know it’s called...

That was a theme that they lost track of... that the “Invasion” wasn’t the War Machines, and the “victory” was a defeat. I’m waiting for the adaptation of The Kraken Wakes, where global warming and sea level rise is the work of the Old Gods...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It pains me a lot to be defending it, but the “stuff that was always falling off” was the the biological weapon that transformed the surface of Earth into something more Martian. They were Areoforming our planet, as I now know it’s called...

That was a theme that they lost track of... that the “Invasion” wasn’t the War Machines, and the “victory” was a defeat. I’m waiting for the adaptation of The Kraken Wakes, where global warming and sea level rise is the work of the Old Gods...

best,

M.

I suppose there could be scope for a sequel, in that the first invasion wasn't an invasion as such, it was just an exploratory probe with the intention of Areoforming (new word to me!) the Earth and the proper invasion with the real Martians will follow in the future.

Ore maybe not :shrug:

I could have coped with the story from the point of view of Snfllgt, the tentacled blob who had the onerous task of spearheading his/her/their peoples' efforts to leave a dying planet and had the task of protecting them from the pale-skinned bipeds who seemed to be so fretful over relinquishing chunks of their green and pleasant land, but I really did want more than just a vague nod to Wells' plot and imagination.

Edited by Dave Batt
Deep thought . . .

Three hours of my life wasted. Most of what I was going to say has been covered already so, I won't bother repeating. Basically a disastrous mess. 

Take my advice. Read the book. Based on this and, their recent "adaptation" of Dracula , I'm going to be very wary of any future attempts by the BBC to "adapt" any other classic novels.

Allan

Utterly awful.

Shared the same name as Well's work that was about it.

Make the lead character female and have a dig at the colonial days of the Empire, no political agenda here. Haven't they learned from the travesty that a certain time traveller has become?

Pretty bad when the Yanks have done it better twice.

19 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

TBH you can't really compare the original 50's version because it's a classic the same as Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still....

I recently watched the first episode and rate it as so-so. I can see the drift from the original story starting and some of the special effects are just cinematic horse hockey! 

You don't even get to see the Martians! I wanted slug-like creatures larger than a bear! And the fighting machines don't do it for me. 

Chris

On 2/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, NAVY870 said:

Utterly awful.

Shared the same name as Well's work that was about it.

Make the lead character female and have a dig at the colonial days of the Empire, no political agenda here. Haven't they learned from the travesty that a certain time traveller has become?

"Better" is a moot point! (no offence by the way😊).

Actually, I enjoyed the 1954 version despite the largely wooden acting and the dire scripting!

The scene where the Martian War Machines finally glide up out of the pit and head toward the waiting soldiers is one of my favourite film scenes

The less said about the Tom Cruise mess the better!

It saddens me they TV producers seem to feel obliged to introduce an almost PC agenda to just about everything. It certainly went no small way to ruining this silly production. There was just so much wrong with this, I don't know where to begin!

I hope that someday, someone WILL produce a film/TV version true to the original novel and, keep it set in the time frame in which the book was set.

I think this would only emphasise the true hopelessness of the battle between Earth and the terrifying power of their highly advanced antagonists.

Allan.

Ps - in 2017, The History Channel produced an excellent  (and obviously fictional) account of The Great Martian War 1913-1917. Set a mere 2 decades after The War of The Worlds,, I think this was possibly the most realistic portrayal about how such a conflict might have unfolded.

Edited by Albeback52

And now for something completely the same? Fox starts it’s own adaptation on 5th March. Apparently, it takes the title, but little else. It’s a joint U.K./French production and is set in the modern era.

Its got to be better.

Please?

Trevor

On 2/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, Max Headroom said:

And now for something completely the same? Fox starts it’s own adaptation on 5th March. Apparently, it takes the title, but little else. It’s a joint U.K./French production and is set in the modern era.

Its got to be better.

Please?

Trevor

It could scarcely be worse ! I just dont see the necessity to set in contemporary times. Also ,it's an 8 part tv series , described as a "loose adaptation" of the H G Wells novel which fills me with dread.

If you Google : Fox. War of the Worlds, you will find a synopsis of all 8 episodes

Allan

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

If you Google : Fox. War of the Worlds, you will find a synopsis of all 8 episodes

Which also contains the ominous phase "the creative team had begun work on a second season" so I presume series one ends with unanswered questions.

8 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

It could scarcely be worse ! I just dont see the necessity to set in contemporary times. Also ,it's an 8 part tv series , described as a "loose adaptation" of the H G Wells novel which fills me with dread.

Allan

Isn't the term " loose adaptation " code for television diarrhea?

Chris

58 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Isn't the term " loose adaptation " code for television diarrhea?

Chris

Hopefully not.

Many James Bond films share only the book title. I’ll freely admit that I’ve read neither and am only going on ‘received wisdom’.

Trevor