This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dave Batt

BBC Drama headline (didn't believe it!)

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Great Budworth in Cheshire apparently.

Trevor

The BBC filmed Cranford in Laycock, Wiltshire thinking no one would notice the place looked nothing like the Cheshire town it should have been - where in Cheshire do you get churches built of chalk and flint? Great Budworth should have been better for Cranford and Laycock a better (but still not correct) location for Woking.

Really enjoyed the first episode... not the slightest bit bothered by the colour of the uniforms, the type of machine gun, the railway company livery on the train or the type of stone the church is made of. Liked the lead performances, and given the “slight ness” of the original book, I’m not surprised the adaptation has expanded the scope a bit. The shock factor of seeing the tragedy of war against a technologically dominant opponent played out across  Edwardian London and the Home Counties is pretty powerful, IMHO...

What with the excellent His Dark Materials on now, and the Moffat/Gatiss Dracula just around the corner, I reckon BBC Drama is on a roll at the moment!

best,

M.

not the slightest bit bothered by the colour of the uniforms, the type of machine gun, the railway company livery on the train or the type of stone the church is made of.

Careful there, this is a modelling Forum and such nit-picking is obligatory.  😉😁 

4 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Really enjoyed the first episode... not the slightest bit bothered by the colour of the uniforms, the type of machine gun, the railway company livery on the train or the type of stone the church is made of. Liked the lead performances, and given the “slight ness” of the original book, I’m not surprised the adaptation has expanded the scope a bit. The shock factor of seeing the tragedy of war against a technologically dominant opponent played out across  Edwardian London and the Home Counties is pretty powerful, IMHO...

What with the excellent His Dark Materials on now, and the Moffat/Gatiss Dracula just around the corner, I reckon BBC Drama is on a roll at the moment!

best,

M.

My biggest gripe with it's it's not even close to the book,given the millions they rake in it should've been better,,,

As for the new Dracula that's another one they'll mess up...The beeb did Dracula in '77 with Louis Jourdan and it was perfect so why bother remaking it....Unlike WotW it's faithful to the book...

Edited by Vince1159

18 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

.The beeb did Dracula in '77 with Louis Jourdan and it was perfect so why bother remaking it.

And it was done brilliantly by Louis Murnau in 1922 and Bela Lugosi in 1931... so I don’t understand why the BBC bothered remaking it 40+ years ago, either...

As for WotW being “unfaithful to the book”, have you read it lately? It’s pretty thin, minimally characterised, weirdly structured and not a particularly thrilling story... I’d rather watch a good adaptation, in much the same way as I’d rather watch the LotR trilogy than read the books again... the adaptation improves on the flawed structure and storytelling of the original...

YMMV, obviously...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

And it was done brilliantly by Louis Murnau in 1922 and Bela Lugosi in 1931... so I don’t understand why the BBC bothered remaking it 40+ years ago, either...

As for WotW being “unfaithful to the book”, have you read it lately? It’s pretty thin, minimally characterised, weirdly structured and not a particularly thrilling story... I’d rather watch a good adaptation, in much the same way as I’d rather watch the LotR trilogy than read the books again... the adaptation improves on the flawed structure and storytelling of the original...

YMMV, obviously...

best,

M.

It was done brilliantly in 1922 but under the name Nosforatu because he didn't have the licence and the stories surrounding Max Schrek (also remade in '78 with Klaus Kinski and a great film called 'Shadow of the Vampire' which told the story of making the film Nosforatu) made it,and in '79 with Frank Langella in a more romantic version but isn't it starting to flog a dead horse remaking stuff you've already done because you have run out of ideas....

Edited by Vince1159

I just saw a bit of WOTW on gogglebox. I was amazed that almost no one knew what it was about. But then again, now a days, maybe it's to be expected.

I don't think I'll bother with the rest. I've got Mr Burton speaking to me on Mp3 whenever I want, I'm more than happy with that. Who needs pictures when it's that good?

20 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I just saw a bit of WOTW on gogglebox. I was amazed that almost no one knew what it was about. But then again, now a days, maybe it's to be expected.

I don't think I'll bother with the rest. I've got Mr Burton speaking to me on Mp3 whenever I want, I'm more than happy with that. Who needs pictures when it's that good?

I thought that when i watched the first episode,,why couldn't they have used his narration on it,would've made a big difference....

Edit: Just had a look on IMDB and it's had a right slating on there as well....

Edited by Vince1159

IMO its not what I expected - and I just realised that's a good thing. It dares to be a bit different and expand upon the orginal, an atmosphere piece rather than Downton Abbey with death rays. I'll give it a go.

I watched this with an open mind (shock,horror,I even enjoyed the Tom Cruise version!!!) and thought the adapted story line was quite good in the first episode.Then last nights episode,IMHO was utter garbage.I do wish these drama making companies would stop flitting about with time scales in the story lines,its very confusing(or is that just me?) without any indication on the screen as to when it actually is supposed to be.Last night it kept flitting from the (then) present,to the past,to the future.Very disappointing.

As to these companies doing remakes of some of the classics,is this similar to model companies churning out endless kits of Spitfires,Me-109's,Fw-190's etc????

After the first episode I considered that the Jury was still out.  It's not realistic to do a straight replay of the book for we all know whodunnit, but some of the most dramatic elements did seem to have been abandoned.

After the second part though the jury is emphatically shuffling their papers.  Just what the heck was that??  Thunderchild seemed to have been reduced to a few flickers on the horizon.

I'll be watching the third part just to finish off (I hate waste, I'll even force myself to finish my greens) but it will have to be good to offset the dreary hour last night.

4 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

After the second part though the jury is emphatically shuffling their papers.  Just what the heck was that??  Thunderchild seemed to have been reduced to a few flickers on the horizon.

A set piece battle between invaders and the fleet was reduced to mere backdrop as sad-faced man swam towards upset-faced woman. I should really know their names by now (it`s all been about them after all) but I am so lacking any kind of empathy for either character that I have found myself rooting for the Martians.

ULLA!!!!!! 

:dalek:

First episode was good. This week’s.....not so much.

Trevor

On 11/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, 4scourge7 said:

I have found myself rooting for the Martians.

That's the same feeling i have when i watch The Creature from the Black Lagoon,happily swimming around for how many years then humans turn up in a clapped out boat and try to kill him....

Edited by Vince1159

Utter tosh - that’s an hour of my life I’m not getting back

Agreed. An absolute disaster in every way.

Yes, War of the Worlds is a short book and so would need 'adaption', but it's a great story filled with drama. For the love of God why 'adapt' into a different story in which almost nothing happens? The dullest, most pointless thing I've watched in a long, long time.

IMDB is ripping it to shreds, and rightly so.

Like pretend Doctor Who, pretend War of the Worlds has actually conspired to deliberately build to such a crescendo of humdrummery, and self-absorbed piety as to render the unwary viewer apoplectic with rage at having part-financed this mound of tosh. 

Mrs Lasermonkey and I both found it rather dull. The first episode showed promise, but after that, it was rather too much gazing wistfully into space and not much else.

I have to confess, I haven't read WOTW since I was fourteen, and that was rather a long time ago. I always thought the musical version was cheesy, and not in a good way. Then again, given  a choice, I'd rather have smallpox than listen to a musical. 

I don't have have a problem with bringing something new to a story, and I quite enjoyed the much maligned TC remake, but in this case, I had some hope that something of the book may have been brought to life. Maybe the book was duller than I remembered? I should probably re-read it.

10 hours ago, StephenMG said:

Yes, War of the Worlds is a short book and so would need 'adaption',

That's a good point,i read it again a couple of years ago and enjoyed so why on earth did they decide to make a three hour mini series when an hour and a half would've been fine....

Seemed to me that the only place the production team did NOT look was that weird short novel of presumably the same name written by some guy called H. G. Wells.  They could have kept in the desperately woke elements but still have brought in the dramatic set pieces (opening of the cylinder, the appearance of the Martians [as large as a bear, skin glistening like wet leather, mass of tentacles, etc], the battle with Thunder Child) but I perhaps cynically think that these were dropped on the basis that they would have been "pandering to the male".  (Bit like that First Man film.)  I mean, where was any sign that "the Martians" had any tool building ability necessary for a technological civilisation needed to develop interplanetary travel; three legs ending in spikes would not help in handling the equivalent of a spanner.  "Draining the blood from their living victims and injecting it into their own veins" is a lot more horrifying than some bestial alien leaping on a human like a starving moggie.

Absolute FAIL.

Helpfully, the BBC has posted a scene from last night`s embarrassment on youtube titled:

"Horror! As a Hungry alien disgusting consumes a person | The War of the Worlds - BBC"

Presumably written by the same genius who helped pen last night`s tribute to utter garbage.

Why are many of the people writing critical comments on youtube more erudite than the people we pay at the BBC to produce drivel like War of the Worlds? 

I liked it. Bit bleak but a nod to the original and a human parable with an unfolding narrative that as a writer, I enjoyed.

I saw the first episode and thought, nah! I'll stick with Jeff Wayne's version. Much more enjoyable. And the music's better.

John.

My overall opinion was that it was a waste of my time watching it, and I couldn't recommend it to anymore :shrug: After episode one, it went rapidly downhill and people started doing stupid things like standing around waiting to be killed for that martyry goodness, Ralph Spall doesn't seem to do well reacting to CGI that's added later, and all he seems to do is stare toward the camera with his eyebrows raised, which inscribes a large wifi logo on his forehead.  SPOILERS HEREON IN: When they're trapped in the courtyard with the Allens (why are they always called Allen?), did it not occur to them that courtyards also usually have doors and windows on the outer faces, so there should have been very little to stop them from leaving those dying but still lethal aliens behind.

Alien design.  It's all very well having swords for legs on hard surfaces, but they'd be utterly stuffed if you took them up onto the moors and they sank tummy-deep in the soft earth.  On the subject of legs, unless they also had some hidden secondary armlets, how did they ever design and build any highly advanced technology?  Or are those exo-suits?  They looked biological to me :hmmm:

The walkers/tripods looked good, but why was there always stuff falling off them?  Subcontracted the build to China? :shrug:   We don't actually see the tripods coming out of the "meteorite" holes (unless I looked away at the wrong moment), but what is the point of those black spinning orbs that ablate away and seem to make random people burst into flames while the main protagonists stand there dumbstruck for long seconds safely behind their plot armour.  They also don't seem to cover what killed them with any sdetailed exposition, it's just mentioned in passing by (I think?) Robert Carlyle (sp?).  We never saw whatever gruesomeness lay behind his cloth jowl either, and from certain angles it made him look like a saggy-faced old lady.

I'm going to have a go at the other recent series, which appears to be at least partly in French, but I'll wait until I'm feeling a bit more lively so I can concentrate on the subtitles.  My French is waaaaaay too rusty to cope without 'em, and if I'm honest it probably always was :(