This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dave Batt

BBC Drama headline (didn't believe it!)

Like the look of this and have been looking forward to seeing it for quite some time now. Is it me or does the cylinder look like a Christmas pudding? Hopefully not too long before its finaly broadcast, Hallowe'en perhaps? 

Regards,

Steve

On 9/29/2019 at 11:19 AM, fatfingers said:

Hopefully not too long before its finaly broadcast, Hallowe'en perhaps? 

Regards,

Steve

My theory ....

It will show on BBC1 on Sunday at 9pm.

World on Fire started in that slot last Sunday and is seven episodes long.

So I’d guess 17th November at the earliest.  Or they could run it in the lead up to Christmas.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 9/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, Mike said:

You could say that, yes. :yes: It seems you can't make a modern TV show without someone pushing some kind of agenda, and frankly it gets very tiresome after a while :dull:

Get used to it 'cos that's British telly from now on.

14 hours ago, spaddad said:

Get used to it 'cos that's British telly from now on.

Not half, and the US is suffering too.  A few episodes of the new Twilight Zone series have been so blatantly pushing an agenda that if it continues I won't be watching any more. :puke:

Oh, that new version of The Twilight Zone blows dead bears! We watched 2 episodes and stopped. There's not much regular TV that we watch anymore. We do watch some odd and weird stuff but it's from some of the newer channels that are now available.

Chris

How do chaps,

Well just watched first part of this on t'inter tube. From the NZ tv broadcast i believe. Hmmm. No spoilers but its a bit different to what i was expecting and hoping for. Didn't think it was too bad tho.

Regards,

Steve

Just noticed that it has been publicised in one of the TV magazines, the Sun's weekly supplement.  Apparently due in November.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, nheather said:

Only minor criticism is British army being equipped with gatling guns rather than the vickers - I can almost imagine that is deliberate as the gatling  looks more interesting (and oddly, more modern) to the general public.

Cheers,

Nigel

It would really have to be a Maxim gun, as the Vickers wasn't adopted by the British Army until 1912; having said that, a Vickers is a redesigned and improved Maxim, so they could probably get away with it.  Certainly better than a Gatling gun!

Edited by 593jones

Funding for this, and the other dross they put out, but it would have been nice if they had made the follow up series 2 and 3 of Tripods.

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

It would really have to be a Maxim gun, as the Vickers wasn't adopted by the British Army until 1912; having said that, a Vickers is a redesigned and improved Maxim, so they could probably get away with it.  Certainly better than a Gatling gun!

Depends on when the TV series is actually set.  It is slightly later than the book which was turn of the century so just Victorian.  The TV series looks like it set 10 or 15 years later - so the Vickers is viable.

Actually, just read that the BBC series is set in Edwardian England which places it 1901 to 1910 - so I stand corrected - should be a Maxim.

Mind you I'm now wondering whether it could have been a Gatling gun - when did the British Army stop using them?

Cheers,

Nigel

If I recall correctly, the original story was set in 1904.

Chris

4 hours ago, nheather said:

Mind you I'm now wondering whether it could have been a Gatling gun - when did the British Army stop using them?

Cheers,

Nigel

Aye up Nigel,

It is indeed a Gatling type gun. Not sure when we stopped using them though.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Aye up Chris,

In the programme reference is made to some fishing trawlers being shot up by Russian warships. One was sunk and several others damaged. This happened in 1904 off the east coat of England when trawlers from Hull were mistaken for Japanese torpedo boats! The Russian Baltic fleet was on its way to fight in the Russian/Japanese war which would make the year correct.

Regards,

Steve

5 hours ago, nheather said:

Cheers,

Nigel

I think they were last used in action in the Sudan in the 1880's and the Maxim adopted pretty soon after that. 

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

In the programme reference is made to some fishing trawlers being shot up by Russian warships. One was sunk and several others damaged. This happened in 1904 off the east coat of England when trawlers from Hull were mistaken for Japanese torpedo boats! The Russian Baltic fleet was on its way to fight in the Russian/Japanese war which would make the year correct.

Regards,

Steve

Must have been pretty powerful vodka on the Russian ships if they thought there were Japanese torpedo boats in the North Sea!  Pretty much sums up the czarist forces, though  :)

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Not going to drag up all the research I did before.  The book doesn’t spell out the date.  But it does refer to a real astronomical occurrences and then a period of time later the martians arrive.  And it refers to a new century beginning.

So it was enough for me to deduce that the book was set in 1900.

Plus it is often described as taking place in Victorian England which would mean no later than Jan 1901.

Also from Wiki

He (Wells) also drew upon a common fear which had emerged in the years approaching the turn of the century, known at the time as fin de siècle or 'end of the age', which anticipated apocalypse at midnight on the last day of 1899.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

Must have been pretty powerful vodka on the Russian ships if they thought there were Japanese torpedo boats in the North Sea!  Pretty much sums up the czarist forces, though  :)

They even managed to shoot up some of their own ships at the same time!!

Steve

1 hour ago, nheather said:

Not going to drag up all the research I did before.  The book doesn’t spell out the date.  But it does refer to astronomical occurrences and then a period of time later the martians arrive.  And it refers to a new century beginning.

So it was enough for me to deduce that the book was set in 1900.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't remember when/where I came across that date. It was at least 30 years and I now have issues remembering last week.

Chris

Air date finally confirmed for November 17th at 9pm on BBC1

Regards,

Steve

On 11/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, fatfingers said:

Air date finally confirmed for November 17th at 9pm on BBC1

Regards,

Steve

See post #52 - do I win a prize 😊

Cheers,

Nigel