This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dave Batt

BBC Drama headline (didn't believe it!)

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

If its not on over Chrimbo i reakon it will be Easter next year. Chances are they'll still be busy doing the CGI jiggery pokery bits. Looks like the time period has been moved from Victorian to Edwardian too by the looks of the soldiers uniforms.... 

Regards.

Steve

Although the argument about the red tunics (a la Zulu) compared with the khaki is sound, I think it would be beyond the series' abilities to get the history across to the audience within the script.  Bit like Stukas attacking the radar stations instead of Bf110s, and He111 bombing the RAF stations rather than Stukas, and so on in The Battle of Britain.

Edited by Dave Batt
Deep thought . . .

40 minutes ago, Dave Batt said:

Although the argument about the red tunics (a la Zulu) compared with the khaki is sound, I think it would be beyond the series' abilities to get the history across to the audience within the script.  Bit like Stukas attacking the radar stations instead of Bf110s, and He111 bombing the RAF stations rather than Stukas, and so on in The Battle of Britain.

I also think it is a price thing.  Victorian uniforms and equipment would have been much more expensive to present, WW1 a lot cheaper especially given all the anniversary dramas that have been made over the last four years.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

How so? It would be at least another 70 odd years before the PC.

Bloomin Martians, coming over here, stealing our jobs, jumping to the front of the council house queue, claiming benefits for the ficticious wife and kids living back on Mars.

"The Martians came in peace - it wasn't guns or bombs that destroyed the Martians, it wasn't even the microscopic germs - it was the Brexiteers."  Taken from the BBC version.

Cheers,

Nigel

20 minutes ago, nheather said:

Bloomin Martians, coming over here, stealing our jobs, jumping to the front of the council house queue, claiming benefits for the ficticious wife and kids living back on Mars.

"The Martians came in peace - it wasn't guns or bombs that destroyed the Martians, it wasn't even the microscopic germs - it was the Brexiteers."  Taken from the BBC version.

Cheers,

Nigel

Can't be taken from the BBC version. They'd be drifting into facts.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, Nocoolname said:

Steam Punk and Jeff Wayne could really make this otherwise it’s in danger of becoming Downtown Abbey with Martians. 

Though now I think of it, that too could be awesome. I’ll call Julian Fellows...

What are you going to call him?  I can offer several suggestions :)

Come on lads... let's not bring the B word in here.  I avoid the news cos it's all nonsense and am heartily sick of the sound of that word already.  How we managed to bring politics into discussion of a drama series is beyond me, but there does seem to be a certain group of people that want to bring it into everything, just like they're obsessing with the current president in the US.  This is a hobby site.  If you want to talk politics in any way shape or form, find a site that is suitable.  I don't care which side of the fence you're on, just shush! :dull:

War of the Worlds along with the Invisible man and The Time Machine have kept me good company  over the years in the form of the written word, however the George Pal versions of WoW and the Time Machine are still high on my movie adaptations. Ok, the fighting machines in the Tom Cruise version were more authentic to the book but the manta rays rising from the meteorite impact pit in the Pal version is still awesome.

Enough prattling...

Providing the BBC keep to the source material and don't alter the characters or stray far from the age it was originally set then the plot will carry the serial. It would be great to see an molested authentic version at long last. No subliminal un required sub plots/messaging please. The SFX could be awesome, or could be shockingly bad. Perhaps postponing " Dr Who" will allow the SFX budget to do the book justice.

As for steam punk? It can be as deliciously integrated as required.

Edited by RACETRACK