Tri Motors in 1/72 or 1/48

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The Heller kit is nominally 1/75 AFAIK, but hasn't been in production for over 40 years, I think.

Not much point in building Starfix as I do not think they have/had any original mould but only clones of others (sometimes rescaled) whose originals were better. 

The claim that early Aoshima kits have/had better plastic and engineering than a late 60s Airfix like the Ford is ... stiff ! But then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for old kits - I have a substantially complete collection of Airfix kits in all boxtypes (meaning just about every kit in each bag-/boxtype it was issued in) from 1956 to 1980 -, but Aoshima kits are notorious for having different scales in one kit for different components, and even the better ones do not really have a reputation for accuracy...

There's one I'd love to have - the Arc en Ciel! Gotta add that to my list!

I built the Starfix Mustang, and it wasn't terrible, and the Talon looked somewhat Talon-like.  I will be honest; I don't worry too much about absolute accuracy when it comes to planes. Cars, yes, I get a bit fussy. However, as long as I can tell what the plane is supposed to be, a bit of a difference from the norm in shape or size doesn't bug me. I just want a representation of that plane, and sometimes a crappy old kit is the only way to get it!  At least I can grind like a mofo on an Aoshima and it'll survive. I look sideways at the Trimotor and the thing will fall apart, and that's after it's built! :)