Tri Motors in 1/72 or 1/48

Tweener

Does anyone know of any interesting 3 engine planes in 1/72 or 1/48 other than the SM79, 81, or 82 or JU52?

Thanks, Tweener

Edited by Tweener

The Ju52/3m in both scales or the Ford trimotor 1/72 or maybe a Pander Postjager vacform in 1/72!!

If you aren't afraid of some resin parts you could try a Conroy Turbe Three from Classic Plane of Germany

Or else a Lockheed Constellation😁

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Haha 3

The Northrop C-125 Raider is a very distinctive trimotor that was used in very limited numbers by the USAF. There are two preserved examples- one at the Air Force Museum and the other at the Pima Museum. IIRC, Combat Models has a 1/72 vacform kit. See the link for a history and photos. I have seen the one at the AFM and it is a BIG airplane!

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YC-125_Raider

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195982/northrop-yc-125b-raider/

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-125/c-125_walk.shtml

Edited by 72modeler
added missing text

From interwar period CANT Z.506 by Supermodel, Caproni Ca.133 by Aviation USK and according to Scalemates, also Xotic, all in 1/72. Junkers G.24 by Promaster or something similar (ex-VEB Plasticard, I believe) in 1/72. At least one of Stinson Trimotors had also been available as a kit a long time ago, but I have no idea which one and in which scale. Post war, as Jan said, there are Constellation and Starliner kits by Heller, and I think Mach 2 also made DC-7C kit. Joke aside, I remember an article about Connie which actually flew with one engine removed. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
info about G.24 added

Supermodel did the Alcione both in single- and twin fin version (Monoderiva and bideriva, respectively):

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/1/5/1/137151-11185-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/8/3/141383-11185-pristine.jpg

The latter has been reissued by Italeri.

It is possible to convert the SM.79 into its less successful successor, the SM.84. The main differences are the lack of the "hunched back" and the twin fins. There are also limited edition kits of this airplane, tho.

VEB made a very nice and detailed kit of the Junkers G.24 in land- and seaplane version. Reissued by Revell as well.

Seaplanes other than the CANT are the S.66 (the Delta 2 kit is as rare as rocking horse poo though!), Do.24 and Bv.138 "Flying Clog".

I think nobody mention yet: 

1. Caproni 101 (Fly),

pr-325-325-FLY72003.jpg

2. Dewoitine 338 (Broplan),

254356-14904-10-pristine.jpg

3. Savoia 75 - (Broplan) ,

414827-11104-99-pristine.jpg

4. Moreover, the SM 73 is not hard to do from Italeri or Supermodel Sm 81 since there is resin conversion kit by SEM

138350_0.jpg

5. Westland Wessex (Rug Rat Resins)

RR7207003.jpg

6. Bloch 120 (Dujin)

267709-12969-11-pristine.jpg

Perhaps some more also...

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Czeh company MASTER-X does resin conversion sets (a bit pricey) for venerable but excellent VEB Plasticart (Revell, Reifra, Master Modell etc.) G.23/24. 

It is for Junkers G.24/he (new fuselage sides, vertical tail surfaces, engines & coolers, undercarridge, vac enclosed cockpit and decals). Haven't tried it yet bit if it is a same quality as their excellent Junkers F.13 sets......... BTW it was also mentioned on this forum somewhere but i'm to lazy to search for it .

Their sets for this type are:

MX7226.01 Luftwaffe U5+ZA - captured machine in original greek military camouflage

MX7226.02 civilian "Ioannina" SX-ACD

MX7226.03 civilian "Dionysos" - marked as "coming soon"

Can be found on Ebay or here http://www.master-x.wz.cz/doplnky 1-72.html

Last one is a mistery for me as as only 4 G.24/he flew with greek airlines E.E.E.S. (sn. 962 SX-ACA "Athinai", sn. 963 SX-ACB "Tessaloniki", sn. 964 SX-ACD "Ioannina", sn. 965 SX-ACE "Patras"). All were mobilised for military transport service in november 1940 and camouflaged with R.A.F. Dark Green, Light Earth, Sky Blue surfaces. All 4 were captured by germans in april 1941.

E.E.E.S. = Ε.Ε.Ε.Σ. = ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΕΤΑΙΡΙΑ ΕΝΑΕΡΙΩΝ ΣΥΓΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΩΝ

More info on type can be found in this article:

http://adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/Junkers_G24.pdf

German Preview here (with detailed pics of parts):

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Master-X/Master-X_Junkers_G24he_Ioannina/Master-X_Junkers_G24he_Ioannina.html

IMG_6402-2.jpg

G.24%20Luftwaffe%20obal.jpg

G.24%20Ioannina%20obal.jpg

Edited by TISO

12 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

At least one of Stinson Trimotors had also been available as a kit a long time ago, but I have no idea which one and in which scale.

Scale is 1/81. It's a Model U.

https://dmairfield.com/airplanes/NC432M/2013_Spring_JAAHS.pdf

Kleeware issued it in 1957. Pat @ Collectakit was lucky enough to acquire 6 a couple of years back but they are all sold. I have one, TomProbert's dad has one, I don't know where the others are.

The Stinson would be an ITC mould I think, with Kleeware being the UK licensee. As such, Glencoe may have it as they appear to have acquired a lot of the ITC tools.

Has the Ca. 133 been mentioned? Kits of it would likely not be easy to get, though. The Ali d‘Italia on it may however be easily obtained from Bancarella.

As a civil type, Arc en Ciel.

It would be hard to find anymore, but Airfix did a Ford 4-AT trimotor in 72nd and Monogram had a Ford 5-AT in 1/75 or some other weird box scale.  Frog and Valom have both done Fokker trimotors with the Valom being of more recent vintage and easier to obtain.  I just wish there was a conversion kit to turn a Fokker trimotor into a USAAC C-2.  The canopy goes further forward than on the civil Fokker.  The wings were also longer, but I think the Frog and Valom kits both have the longer wings.  The RAF also had some Fokker Trimotors as well.

Later,

Dave

11 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

It would be hard to find anymore, but Airfix did a Ford 4-AT trimotor in 72nd and Monogram had a Ford 5-AT in 1/75 or some other weird box scale.  

The other way round I think, Airfix = 5AT. Back when I was actively looking for older kits (up to ca two years ago), they were fairly easy to obtain, especially the late 80s Special Edition. Monogram was 1/77 nominally IIRC, it was reissued not that long ago by Revell.

10 hours ago, TISO said:

All were mobilised for military transport service in november 1940 and camouflaged with R.A.F. Dark Green, Light Earth, Sky Blue surfaces. All 4 were captured by germans in april 1941.

Interesting that they were RAF colours!

10 hours ago, TISO said:

Czeh company MASTER-X does resin conversion sets (a bit pricey) for venerable but excellent VEB Plasticart (Revell, Reifra, Master Modell etc.) G.23/24. 

It is for Junkers G.24/he (new fuselage sides, vertical tail surfaces, engines & coolers, undercarridge, vac enclosed cockpit and decals). Haven't tried it yet bit if it is a same quality as their excellent Junkers F.13 sets......... BTW it was also mentioned on this forum somewhere but i'm to lazy to search for it .

It is here :)  (inside is also link to my scratch conversion build)

Cheers

J-W

There was a Ford Tri Motor in Canada;  RCAF  coded 'WZ' which I think was the last two of a reg, but it wore roundels not unlike D types though the colours might have been brighter

There's also X5000, a 5-AT.  Ex G-ACAE, impressed in April 1940, issued to 271 Sq and came to grief with them 19 Sept 1940: overshot, forced landing in bad weather, hit ditch, Ballyminerra, Co. Down.  There's a photo of her post crash that bobs up here and there.  IIRC in Dark Earth, Dark Green and Yellow with no codes.  A problem for modellers is that she seems to have had large wheel spats: I recall thinking that in 1/72 some Matchbox Ju 87 spats (which were overscale) might fit the bill.

Hello bentwaters81tfw

Thank you for information about Model U kit and the link to an interesting article. Reading it through jogged my memory a bit and I recalled that model in question was actually of low-wing type, so that would make it a Model A. After a brief web search information surfaced about Formaplane kit of Model A in 1/72 and also about Model T (high-wing trimotor) kit in the same scale, apparently done by J&L. Both kits seem to be typical vacuforms from many decades ago. My memory may play games at me but on those photos Model A model looked superb. I wish I would remember where I had seen them. Cheers

Jure

23 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The other way round I think, Airfix = 5AT. Back when I was actively looking for older kits (up to ca two years ago), they were fairly easy to obtain, especially the late 80s Special Edition. Monogram was 1/77 nominally IIRC, it was reissued not that long ago by Revell.

I just checked my Airfix Ford Trimotor in the stash and you are correct!  The 5-AT-B entered service as the Army C-4 and the Navy and Marines operated some as the RR (originally JR) family of aircraft.  The Valom kit of the Fokker trimoter does have the longer wings of the C-2, but as I mentioned earlier, the cockpit was moved further forward of the wing with a big glasshouse canopy and an inverse taper windshield.  The Ford 4-AT entered service with the Army as the C-3, with the Navy also obtaining a few.

Later,

Dave

17 hours ago, e8n2 said:

The Valom kit of the Fokker trimoter does have the longer wings of the C-2, but as I mentioned earlier, the cockpit was moved further forward of the wing with a big glasshouse canopy and an inverse taper windshield.  ,

Dave

The only thing the C-2 has in common with the Dutch F-VII airliner is the wing. The fuselage was an entirely new design to US Army requirements and was longer,wider and deeper; not just the different cockpit area.  Tail is bigger and different engine nacelles.  A parallel development was the US built F-10 airliner, which also used the F-VII wing design with everything else new. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

The only thing the C-2 has in common with the Dutch F-VII airliner is the wing. The fuselage was an entirely new design to US Army requirements and was longer,wider and deeper; not just the different cockpit area.  Tail is bigger and different engine nacelles.  A parallel development was the US built F-10 airliner, which also used the F-VII wing design with everything else new. 

I've read about the wider fuselage, but exactly how much wider I have no idea.  If I ever get around to trying to do the conversion, since it would be for me, NOT A CONTEST, I would just ignore the extra width.  Had not read about the extra depth to fuselage.  For my own edification, what books talk about the added depth to the fuselage on the C-2?  Not questioning your statement, just want to read it for myself to see how much of a difference there was.

Later,

Dave

2 hours ago, e8n2 said:

For my own edification, what books talk about the added depth to the fuselage on the C-2?  Not questioning your statement, just want to read it for myself to see how much of a difference there was.

Later,

Dave

Not sure what the precise difference is, but it's quite visible. The rear upper fuselage on the C-2 is practically a straight line from the trailing edge of the wing to the rudder post, whereas the F-VII drops down just aft of the wing for a few feet and then becomes a straight line to the tail, which is several mm difference in 1/72.  Not sure about the lower profile of the fuselage, but that may be different too.