Trumpeter King Tiger Porsche Turret

Hi Mark

This will be a little slower as I still haven't heard anything on the ATAK zimmerit I ordered on July 24th.

I can do the interior and the inside of the turret but nothing much on the exterior until it shows up.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Hi Mark

I ordered the ATAK ZM-1602 from Roll Models in July and just got a notice that they can't get it so they cancelled the order.  That sort of ticks me off as I waited to actually

find and order the ATAK zimmerit before I bought this King Tiger. Now I guess I'll have to try rolling my own from putty. At least there is a 1/16 scale

zimmerit tool in this kit, looks like the Tamiya 1/35 scale rake I used on that Panther.

Getting anything from ebay is out as I got stuck for $500 on my Paypal account a few years back and had a hard time getting a refund so I avoid it like

the plague. Apparently someone in Indonesia used my account to buy a new television or something and Paypal were real dicks about it but my bank came through

and gave me a refund.  So I don't even look at ebay. ATAK the company in Europe only use Paypal, they don't accept credit cards so I can't buy direct from

them but I'd sure like to. There doesn't seem to be any North American distributors of ATAK 1/16 zimmerit that I can find either.

Frustrated,

Lloyd

Mark

I re-ordered the ATAK zimmerit from Forgebear Tanks in the U.K.  It was actually cheaper than trying to get it from Roll

Models.  The thing that burns me is that I waited over a month to find out they couldn't get it.  Now we will see how long it

takes from the UK and how much they soak me for freight. 

I tried some putty and one of those Trumpeter zimmerit tools on the front lower hull and gave that up as a bad job. It's tough

in 1/35 but a lot worse in 1/16 so either the ATAK comes in a reasonable time or this baby doesn't get zimmerit. Of course

I could build another KT with the Henschel turret and forget the zimmerit.  Not going to happen as there are some mods

on the hull for the Porsche turret and I've already done them.

I guess there won't be any speed records broken on this build.

Lloyd

I feel you with the order troubles.  It really ticks me off (polite version!) when stores advertise things they don't have or need to order in.  I've been caught out a few times and I don't use those stores any more.  They just can't be trusted.

Being in the UK I don't venture to the US for stuff very often: the shipping usually makes it uneconomic.  Accepting that transatlantic shipping will always be costly for single items, there are some stores in Europe I can recommend for the accuracy of their displayed stock levels and their delivery efficiency.  None have ever let me down over many years and they are now my go-to short list.  I find that prices in the UK tend to be inflated for European-made products compared to buying from Europe.  You'd be surprised how cheaply you can get the likes of MiniArt, Masterbox and Zvezda directly from Ukraine.  And also the range of products you just don't see in the UK.

They are:

Jadar Hobby in Warsaw (NB - Poland no longer permits sales-tax-free retail exports)

Modellbau Konig in Germany

Der Sockelshop in Germany

Hobby.dn.ua in Kiev

BNA Modelworld in Australia (yes, I know this isn't in Europe..........)

In the UK, Creative Models, Hannants, Model Hobbies, FoG and eModels are all reliable - if not always cheapest.

I rarely buy single items from anywhere, especially overseas, preferring to build larger orders which makes the shipping far more economical.  As you're in the US, you should get tax-free prices from EU  sellers (except from Poland), which might make the shipping more worthwhile.  In fact I'm about to place orders with all of Jadar, Konig, Sockelshop and Hobby.dn worth several hundred ££.

On your refund point above, under UK law (may be different in US States, of course) it would not have been PayPal's responsibility to refund you anyway for fraudulent card use.  It would have been up to your card issuer - or no-one - as your number had obviously been fraudulently compromised: almost certainly not through PayPal.  Sadly, data breaches involving card numbers are all too common.  PayPal is essentially just a payment clearing house and has no way of fraud-checking payment cards and accounts because the banks won't give them the information.  They are responsible for their own credit card, of course.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Mark

I ordered the ATAK ZM-1602 from Roll Models in July and just got a notice that they can't get it so they cancelled the order.  That sort of ticks me off as I waited to actually

find and order the ATAK zimmerit before I bought this King Tiger. Now I guess I'll have to try rolling my own from putty. At least there is a 1/16 scale

zimmerit tool in this kit, looks like the Tamiya 1/35 scale rake I used on that Panther.

Getting anything from ebay is out as I got stuck for $500 on my Paypal account a few years back and had a hard time getting a refund so I avoid it like

the plague. Apparently someone in Indonesia used my account to buy a new television or something and Paypal were real dicks about it but my bank came through

and gave me a refund.  So I don't even look at ebay. ATAK the company in Europe only use Paypal, they don't accept credit cards so I can't buy direct from

them but I'd sure like to. There doesn't seem to be any North American distributors of ATAK 1/16 zimmerit that I can find either.

Frustrated,

Lloyd

I understand your troubles with ebay, although it hasn't happened to me (yet) I have only ordered my 1/16 king tiger parts from a couple people. One in particular, hes got a high rating tons of goods, and is reasonably priced.  I was able to find your ATAK porsche turret zimmerit from him for 56$ USD. I would highly recommend him, I have never had any troubles with him, and my packages arrive within 2 weeks. His username is  sk1968sk check him out. 

Mark

Thanks Das

I very rarely if ever go to Europe for anything as I've got stung a couple of times on freight and been charged duty for model parts.

That's a little rich as there's no duty on anything from the US to Canada so why from Europe? Anyways sometimes the freight and duty

add up to more than the items I ordered so I just don't bother.

Most times I get things locally to help keep the local shop afloat but the odd time I go to the USA and suck it up for the 25% plus exchange

and the usual UPS or Fedex ripoff. Ticks me off though when I go to a place that I've used before and they say they have the product so

I wait a month just to find out they don't  have it and apparently can't get it. That same company has done that to me twice now in the last

couple of years so they are off my goto list forever.

Thanks for the list of favorite vendors, I'll have to try some of them. I have been thinking of ordering AFV Modeler's corrected ammo

racks for this 1/16 King Tiger but at 40 UK pounds plus freight that's too rich. The exchange right now between Cdn and UK is over 40%.

Take care,

Lloyd

Quick note; if you do plan on buying AFV Modeler's corrected ammo racks, be prepared to have to do some work to get them looking decent. Mine arrived all warped and pretty much unusable right out of the box, it took me extensive chopping, gluing,  melting, and kit bashing to get the racks to look as they are now. Im pretty sure I have some old pics stored somewhere on my phone of what they used to look like before the work I did.  But who knows  I could've just received a poorly made batch. 

Mark 

Here it is this aft with most of the interior complete. Still need to tackle those infamous shell racks and the cooling fan assemblies.

The radio gear is just sitting, needs lots of seam filling and of course the engine is still pretty bare.

zy0WaXg.jpg4H3V208.jpgIBznvsR.jpggAOdeq3.jpgfZqvStN.jpgblHSKA6.jpgMlAmi9J.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Hi Mark

It's harder to work on the Porsche as there's not as much room. Maybe that was another reason why they went to the Henschel

besides eliminating the shot trap under the main gun, they just wanted more room. And I think the Henschel looks better, the Porsche

is pretty ugly.

Got the cooling fans and rads done and a bunch of hoses and even finished off the engine except for paint. I built the two shell

racks on each side at the front, the 4 shell racks in front of the small bulkhead and they fit fine. The 11 shell racks behind them

are the ones causing turret fit problems in KT #1 so I may just cut them down to something like 7-8 shell racks. The AFV Modeller

resin racks are almost Cdn$80 so that's not an option, I'll have to live with the kit racks. I also think I will just put a few shells in

the turret racks or maybe just leave them out as they were directed to do later on during the war.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Spent the whole afternoon working on the kit shell racks and there are now a full complement of 44 shells, the turret fits in place properly

and the turret even turns a complete 360. The shells aren't cleaned up, painted or have all their decals yet but they make good jigs to shape

the racks, all loose for now though, hope I can get them back out of the racks.

Here it is this evening.  Radio gear in place too but engine still not painted.

i21aDyF.jpg4N0yySX.jpgPVXfgNY.jpgf4hyP17.jpgADldvbz.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Hi Mark

Yes, both this kit and the other KT I built before are both missing about 6 base plates for the ammo. I got around that on the other kit by

putting the shells without base plates on the bottom row in the racks with the butt shoved up against the engine compartment bulkhead,

You can't see that they are missing.

Trumpeter sure is consistent, I guess all kits are the same.  Supply 60 shells but only 54 bases seems like the way they go.

I think I'll apply a judicious amount of CA on all of the joints on those shell racks before I try to take the shells out for cleanup and painting. They

were so much fun modifying I don't want them falling apart now.

Tomorrow is Labour Day so no mail but I'm hoping my zimm order shows up Tues or Wed as I'd like to shift to the exterior now.

Take care,

Lloyd

I was thinking about trying out resin casting with one of the shells that has a brass backing, because why not?? And its always frustrating when you glue a fragile piece and then shortly break it lose, makes me wonder why I still continue scalemodels. and I too am expecting a package this wednesday(tomorrow) but it dosent have to deal with scalemodels, but still deals with WW2 history. 

Mark

Got the engine painted and in position with all of the silly Trumpeter vinyl hoses.  About 20 odd hoses and

you can only see about 8 but they are all there.  So the engine compartment is complete, finally.

On to the shells, not a fun job.

Still no zimmerit today.  I was looking at the Henschel turret that comes with the kit and thinking it was so easy

to apply the ATAK resin zimmerit sheets to it. But the Porsche turret has this big bulge on the left side around the

commander's cupola and it has what I think are pistol ports on each side of the turret. Trumpeter just molded

those in place, didn't make the actual ports or supply the plugs like on the rear hatch.  Soooo  applying the zimmerit

on this turret might be a tricky job.  I think there will be some dry fitting before breaking out the epoxy this time. They

do supply the rear hatch and hinges, the front mg blister and the piece that slides down over the gun barrel and

up against the mantlet all in resin with zimmerit molded which is good. Trying to apply it those areas is not fun

as I found out on that 1/35 Panther A.

Take care,

Lloyd 

• Like 1

Thanks Stix

Everything has come to a grinding halt until that resin zimmerit shows up. I can't go any further on the exterior and

painting and applying decals to shells is getting rather boring. There is the tracks yet but there's also a lack of enthusiasm this AM.

This kit comes with the option of the Henschel or Porsche turrets and since I'm building it as the Porsche variant I thought

I would throw the other turret together just for something different. A lot of the interior turret parts are common between the

two but I should be able to do a fair representation of the exterior and the gun on the Henschel turret. Then what to

do with it is a question as I'm not a diorama builder but a thought is to mount it on some kind of concrete  mounting

so it could represent a pillbox.  Question is why would this tank have an obsolete Porsche turret if there is a spare Henschel available?

The stash is empty again but the LHS has a 1/16 Trumpeter T-72, a 1/16 M1A1,  a 1/16 M16 Multi gun  Motor Carriage and a 1/16  MRAP so

if I get the urge to start another large scale project while waiting on things in the post.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12