Trumpeter King Tiger Porsche Turret

Received the ATAK zimmerit yesterday so here's the thing with some fancy coating.

Not too hard to install but the Porsche turret with all of it's exotic curves is a little harder to apply the resin and have it bend where it's supposed

to. There's some CA glue on that as the epoxy doesn't dry fast enough.

I put some styrene spacers on the side skirt mounting pads as they don't protrude far enough to hold the skirts with the resin zimmerit sheet applied. Then

I had such a devil of a time trying to get the left side skirt to stick to the resin zimmerit I decided there will be no fender or side skirt on the right

side. Don't know why but epoxy and even CA did't want to hold that skirt in place and I don't have clamps big enough.  I removed the spacers from the

right side mounting pads and I'll say that skirt assembly got lost.  I'll also ding up the zimmerit a little more on that side.

That's a patented sprue gun elevation bracket holding up the barrel until I finish the turret interior and can mount the gun permanently.

eICgMFA.jpgOjfVPzF.jpgDi8Zl86.jpgYlG28Zb.jpgRH6nHT6.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Thanks Soeren

Yes, I tried doing zimmerit with putty on this model but 1/16 do it yourself isn't easy to do in this scale. ATAK is the best as I've used

it on another 1/16 King Tiger and it worked great.

It has a coat of black primer tonight and may get some white pre-shading tomorrow before the 3 color camo.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Badder

This was an early King Tiger so it's going to be fairly dirty. It's got some zimmerit falling off already so I'll add

to that theme.

I was going to leave the fender and side skirt off of the right side but it doesn't look right to my eye without the side skirts so I just lost a section

and will leave it like that.

Hope you are doing well, haven't heard from you in quite a while.

Lloyd

I do not know that you planning any wash. If yes be careful with zimmerit. In smaller scale if there is dark wash inside the Zimmerit it does not look good. 

I'll keep my eye on the Tiger. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark

Things are getting a bit cramped with nine of the 1/16 scale models and the Panther G coming yet too.

The Panther must be almost as big as the King Tiger so it won't fit inside my display cabinet either.

The Porsche (Krupp) style turret was ok to assemble but it is a little smaller inside than the Henschel. The rear hatch is smaller and the

mantlet is different but the actual  mounting brackets for the main gun are further apart so it makes the gun easier to mount.

The shape of the turret with the bulge on the left under the cupola makes it harder to install the ATAK zimmerit but that's

pretty minor.  It has just as much detail as the Henschel but it has a "swoopy"  sort of look rather than the typical German

angular shape and I'm not really a fan of that look. The turret is the only real difference between the two tanks but the two

turrets are not switchable between hulls. I tried just for fun and the hulls are just a little different where the turret mounts so

they won't fit properly. I don't know if it was ever done in real life but with a cutting torch the Henschel turret could be

made to fit the hull that had the Porsche turret but the Henschel hull wouldn't support the Porsche turret properly.

Typical, instead of concentrating on one or two AFVs and building thousands they had to have about 100 different kinds of

vehicles running around with the logistics nightmare that caused. Can you imagine the results of say 60,000 Panther tanks rather

than the 4-5,000 that were built. Forget about the King Tigers and Jagdtigers and all of that useless stuff and build something 

practical, cheaper and better than most opponents.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12