Swiftsure class SSN

I'm working on converting Airfix's 1/350 Trafalgar to a Swiftsure class.  I thought I had read somewhere that all the Swiftsures used the shrouded pump jet propulsor, does anyone know if that is correct?  If not, do we know which boat used which propulsion method?

• Like 2

Flankerman did a swiftsure conversion a while ago, its worth searching his thread out.

Most of the Swiftsure class were fitted with the pump jet, with the only exception be HMS Swiftsure, the lead boat.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 4:02 AM, whitestar12chris said:

Flankerman did a swiftsure conversion a while ago, its worth searching his thread out.

Most of the Swiftsure class were fitted with the pump jet, with the only exception be HMS Swiftsure, the lead boat.

All the best Chris

Oh I found it!  Flankerman provides more inspiration than he realizes!  I also came across this page, which elaborates the same modifications:

http://www.bridscalemodelclub.org.uk/ClubForum/index.php?topic=561.0

I contacted the guy who shot these images for higher resolution versions:

http://www.alide.com.br/Artigo/HMS Spartan/HMS Spartan.htm

So you can see where I'm going with this...viola, some CAD, some 3D printing...

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment Woodstock74 ......

Having 'converted' the Airfix Trafalgar - inspired by 'Pen-Pushers' build (first link from Woodstock74) into HMS Splendid,  I then found that website showing HMS Spartan with a 'top secret' DDS fitted (second link)... so, inspired by that I did a second conversion - and tried to reproduce the tatty appearance with missing tiles, rust streaks etc...

350-HMS%20Spartan_13.jpg

Semi-successful.

Following your build with interest.... :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 4

One thing I've been meaning to ask regarding the Airfix Trafalgar; does anyone think the "step" at the leading edge of the bow is too pronounced?  You can see it in full effect in Flankerman's image above.  I came across an image of either the Swiftsure or Trafalgar during construction showing the bow (I'd post it but running out the door for work and naturally I can't quickly find it again on Google; will try and remember to post tonight) and the "chisel" effect is very pronounced (the sharpness of the Swiftsure/Trafalgar class bow), but I don't see much "step".  Naturally none of this may make any sense without accompanying images...Anyway, I did some putty work on my Swiftsure bow to tame the step.  Will post more tonight.

Think I still have a little bit more work to do:

20180830_172224.jpg

Speaking of the Airfix Trafalgar kit, it's become almost impossible to come by at a reasonable price here in the US.  I can only assume it's now out of production?  Wish I had grabbed more when they were $10/per.

You're correct about the Airfix Trafalgar being OOP, and yes they go for silly money. I managed to get two last year; one I've built as the class OOB and the other is going to be converted to a Swiftsure Class.

Stuart 

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

You're correct about the Airfix Trafalgar being OOP, and yes they go for silly money. I managed to get two last year; one I've built as the class OOB and the other is going to be converted to a Swiftsure Class.

Stuart 

Yes, I just grabbed a second one though it was much better priced than the first one.  Between the one I have and the one on the way I've spent about $50, including shipping.  One was $22, the other $15.  So I lament the days when they were $9-10!  Have no idea what I'm going to do with the second one at the moment (I already have one built up as a Trafalgar class), I'm just cornering the US market for Airfix Trafalgars!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...