1/48 - Seversky P-35/A/J9 by Dora Wings - J9 & P-35 released

Homebee

On 2/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, flarpen said:

Quite right

There should not be any insignias on top of the wings for marking option 3-4.

I was was a bit questionable about the black and white wing markings for the first option, but I found good pictures on that airframe in the J 9 book, so that is correct.

Hoping not to confuse this thread but as a precursor to the Dora Wings kit I thought I might have a go at the Special Hobby 72nd scale one.. Can anyone confirm if option A colour scheme is correct (the box art one ? )as I thought that would be the one I'd do? ie, with the blue letters and large insignia on top of the wings.  I really must try to get hold of the MMP book at a reasonable price....Thanks.

Everything about the aircraft is described in this book: P-35A, AT-12 & P-66 in Swedish service as J 9, B 6 & J 10
Text in English

Contains the complete history, drawings, colour profiles
ISBN 9789163160721

spacer.png

Book review: https://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Books/Historical-Bio/mf-prod_p35etc-swed-svc/mf-prod_p35etc-swed-svc.htm

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keithjs said:

That’s great, thank you.! Where would I get hold of a copy as the link gives a 404 e

You could try the email address but it was published in 2008 so they probably haven't got any left. or just search the ISBN, but it probably won't be easy to find one at a sensible price - https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-35A-AT-12-P-66-Swedish-Service/dp/9163160722

On 2/16/2021 at 4:21 AM, Supersonic26 said:
On 2/16/2021 at 4:05 AM, Tbolt said:

I'm thinking schedule some three or four hours, grab a good brush and practice frustration management!

I’m thinking an initial light green coat then dark green chalk or oil pencil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I’m thinking an initial light green coat then dark green chalk or oil pencil.

Good idea. I think I'm going to try airbrushing it first and see what happens and use that as plan B.

The aircraft was painted in a yellowish zinc-chromatic primer (63-1016), which was then painted over with olive-green (~FS24079) in a mottled pattern. The underside was painted in light blue-grey colour (somewhat greenish FS26176). The top was sprayed with a mix of varnish (95%) and Duco olive-green (5%).

Edited by Matave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matave said:

The aircraft was painted in a yellowish zinc-chromatic primer (63-1016), which was then painted over with olive-green (~FS24079) in a mottled pattern. The underside was painted in light blue-grey colour (somewhat greenish FS26176). The top was sprayed with a mix of varnish (95%) and Duco olive-green (5%).

Thanks for the FS numbers, I was having a problem with the Duco and Wedevåg paint numbers. I'm guessing standard zinc chromate, FS 33481 would be fine? 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Seversky P-35/A/J9 by Dora Wings - 3D renders+box art+schemes+sprues+decals - J9 release March 2021
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Seversky P-35/A/J9 by Dora Wings - J9 released
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kopperhed said:

I want a Philippine defender. Lucky for me, those were pulled from the Swedish order. But in this scale, I don't think i have to worry about representing the instruments in Swedish.

Well, you could make one with a mix of Swedish and American markings as they where when first unpacked and used in the Philippines.
That certainly would be a bit different and eye catching.

1 hour ago, flarpen said:

Well, you could make one with a mix of Swedish and American markings as they where when first unpacked and used in the Philippines.

It would be very interesting to see.
You have a photo?

1 hour ago, dora said:

It would be very interesting to see.
You have a photo?

See here. Page only in Swedish though.

https://lae.blogg.se/2011/march/svenska-jaktplan-pa-filippinerna.html

https://lae.blogg.se/2015/march/svenska-jaktplan-pa-filippinerna-2.html

EDIT

There is also this journal film in color showing the unpacking and assembly of the first P-35A's

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675060825_United-States-airmen_Far-East-Army-Air-Force-Seversky-P-35_Headquarters-17th-Pursuit-Squadron

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, flarpen said:

Yes. The US Government confiscated the 60 EP-106 for Sweden.

Shame as the P-35As did nothing of note in the defense of the Philippines. 

Edited by Mike Esposito

5 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Yes. The US Government confiscated the 60 EP-106 for Sweden.

Shame as the P-35As did nothing of note in the defense of the Philippines. 

They where quite outdated and did not stand much of a chance against the japs. 

• Like 2