Jet Provost WHIF

tangerine_sedge

A quick visit to my stash highlighted the volume of jet provosts I bought in the last Aldi sale, and seeing that I have built this kit fast and OOB before I thought it would make a good candidate for a decals only whif.  A quick perusal of my decals stash offered up Argentinian, Spanish, French and Irish options, but the US navy option stood out from the crowd.  So, onto the alternative history...

In the early sixties, the US Navy were shopping around for a land based trainer for their pilot training programme.  The success of the Jet Provost in the UK triggered them to trial 3 aircraft which they liked due to its parallel seating and cost, but unfortunately the Aircraft was not taken up due to lobbying from the US aircraft industry.

This aircraft is the first trial aircraft based in Southern California in its distinctive silver and dayglo colour scheme.

Model is Airfix Provost T4, decals are badly printed Airfix F4 phantom....

20180826_093727.jpg

Edited by tangerine_sedge
Add image
  • Like 3

Starting to look like a JP now.  Its gone together really easily but could do with a little filler on the seams.  I need to add the intakes, the antennas and fit the canopy, then its time to start masking!  Hopefully get that done during the grand prix.

I'll be using rattle spray cans, which I normally spray outside, but the weather may put a stop to that!

20180826_124935.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to get the silver coat on last night, which by my reckoning, took less than 5 minutes by rattle can including shaking ;) Time for a quick shower (for me), mask for the dayglo and spray away....  then a wander down to the local Aldi for breakfast goodies :)

All masked up.  The first time I've used cling film, and probably the last, I'm not confident that I've covered everything, and it stuck to me rather than the model...

20180827_091734.jpg

All sprayed, leave this for 30 minutes to dry a little then off it comes!

20180827_092216.jpg

Are you back from Aldi yet ? Wait a minute, it doesn't open till 10.00hrs.

21 minutes until the wrap is good to come off......

You know I will be disappointed if the reveal is not sorted by the time Frasier finishes.

I'm calling this one complete!

20180827_152407.jpgfree picture hosting

20180827_152450.jpg

20180827_152427.jpg

20180827_152506.jpg

I really enjoyed this build, although it does have its errors; seams needed filler and sanding, decals are a little over-sized and out of register, masks around the cockpit pulled up the pva glue holding down the glass, black ant-glare on nose needs tidying, airframe might have been better in white rather than silver...

On the plus-side its got a dayglo paint job :) which is matt Humbrol Orange Fluorescent (205) from a spray tin.

20180827_153616.jpg

I can see more what-if dayglo trainers in my future :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

decals are a little over-sized

Can decals be oversized in a WHIF??

It looks great. Silver and dayglo (NOT dangle thanks apple) schemes are very nice to look at (and a pain to do).

Looks like you got the same batch of F-4 decals as me, with the white crescents.

Regards,

Adrian