This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

nuuumannn

Bovington Tank Museum

My first visit to Bovington. The conservation hall was closed as it was the day before Tank Fest, which I had to miss owing to other commitments.

43364904885_2490870d27_o.jpgChieftain

43364907335_20b0a70391_o.jpgTiger II Elefant

43364909685_25c36cd779_o.jpgTetrarch

44222361152_e29ca3d32f_o.jpgCovenantor

44270784621_52d129d93e_o.jpgFear Naught

44222369602_25b5aeb088_o.jpgLittle Willie

There is a gallery of interesting far fetched designs for armoured vehicles, such as these.

44222365192_4b6bd8d39f_o.jpgLandschiffe

43364917955_f67e997384_o.jpgSpartan

43553445184_d1a1457b18_o.jpgAtomtank

44222366372_09c88b3c52_o.jpgWheel tank

More images here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147661871@N04/albums/72157697423021702/with/44222366372/

Thanks for posting that. I'm not into tanks as such, but I'm fascinated by concept/prototype tanks, very early tanks and the bizarre ones. Your post set me off on a Googlising tour which kept me amused for an hour or so. I thought this one was particularly interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Wagen

A crew of 27!

Great photos, Bovington is on my "bucket" list, one day.

Cheers

Dennis

@nuuumannn Thanks for putting those up, takes me back to a happy afternoon spent there 35 years ago & the frustration of not making it 4 years ago. It appears to have changed a lot since the first visit. :)

Steve.

Great photos. I went for first time in a very long while a few months ago. An excellent museum to visit but I too missed out on the restoration hall. Plan to go again very soon.

I believe it was a paper concept for a nuclear-powered tank from the days when the US thought that anything and everything could be nuclear-powered.  

The streamlined shape was supposed to be both buoyant for flotation and more resistant to nuclear blast.

I live in Yeovil and as such I have the FAA museum 10 minutes away.  The Tank Museum 49 minutes away and the helicopter Museum less than an hour away

Come and live in Yeovil if you like modelling.  Good reason for coming back is the Tiger expo is now on for another year.

You can use the museum ticket all year around except special days.  I hope you enjoyed your visit and wont be too long before you are back in Gods own country.

Rodders

Managed to slip away from a family weekend away in Weymouth last year for a couple of hours, although wandering around on me own was strange as I’m usually able to impart knowledge ( bore to tears) to Mrs karma 

it’s a great place to visit and hope to go again with a build in mind for research and to see the restoration centre as I missed it this time

have got quite a few pics of random tanks still to sort through that may be useful for detailing, especially if I decide to try doing a DD Sherman from a standard kit