Navy aircraft

goose

After a visit to FAA museum I was wondering which if any manufacturers have general run kits in 1/72 scale with wing fold options in the kits?

Frog Shark and Sea Fury.  I've a feeling that one of the Pavla kits was posed on the box lid with wings folded, but unsure which.  Skua?  Perhaps Valom Firebrand -certainly a separate centre-section.   Airwaves Seafire conversion for Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb.  Airfix Hellcat?  Just guessing here, but maybe Trumpeter Gannet?

• Like 1

Not quite a kit manufacturer, but Wolfpack do folding wings for several subjects.  Hellcat, Skywarrior,  Seahawk come to mind; perusal of their website may give more.

Trumpeter Seafury also has wing fold, though I'm told it's not very accurate.

The Airfix 'Kate' also has a wingfold, not mentioned above.  In fact is seems to be their policy that if the wing folded, then the kit should be tooled likewise.  I'm still hoping for an Avenger with, of course, folding wings.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Just guessing here, but maybe Trumpeter Gannet?

No, nor Revell Gannet, but somebody (Alleycat?  Freightdog?) did aftermarket wingfold conversions for both.

And Airwaves did a quite impressive  wingfold conversion for the FROG Barracuda.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Not quite sure what you mean by 'solid'.  My dictionary gives too many German translations to be of use.

Or do you perhaps mean 'sold out'?

For the record the conversion was Brass Etch only.  Unlike the Barracuda, there are no resin parts: one has to cut along the separation lines which fortunately are fairly distinct.  The wing when folded would be a little 'insecure' were it not for a brace to the tailplane.  Well done the Fairey design office!

As it's only Brass Etch there's always the possibility (unlike when resin is used) that it might be re-issued sometime.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Not quite sure what you mean by 'solid'.  My dictionary gives too many German translations to be of use.

Or do you perhaps mean 'sold out'?

For the record the conversion was Brass Etch only.  

Sorry, that happens when posting on the phone - I missed that you referred to a conversion for the Vista kit's solid wing. To make it non-solid, obviously... A German saying say "wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil" (he who is able to read has a clear advantage)...

If the original master for a resin part still exist, I see no reason why another silicone mould could not be made, apart from perceived lack of demand.

Not quite sure about the Airfix, but I think both Frog and Airfix Avengers were without folded option - for AIrfix unlike many of their other USN types (as has been mentioned). Leaving the WW II area, at least one of the legacy A-7 kits had a "slide out bend up" mechnism, I think - Revell ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Leaving the WW II area, at least one of the legacy A-7 kits had a "slide out bend up" mechnism, I think - Revell ?

Don't know about Revell but the old Airfix A-7 had wings that could be assembled in either folded or open configuration.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Sorry, that happens when posting on the phone - I missed that you referred to a conversion for the Vista kit's solid wing. To make it non-solid, obviously... A German saying say "wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil" (he who is able to read has a clear advantage)...

If the original master for a resin part still exist, I see no reason why another silicone mould could not be made, apart from perceived lack of demand.

Not quite sure about the Airfix, but I think both Frog and Airfix Avengers were without folded option - for AIrfix unlike many of their other USN types (as has been mentioned). Leaving the WW II area, at least one of the legacy A-7 kits had a "slide out bend up" mechnism, I think - Revell ?

Both the (old) Airfix, Frog (and for that matter Academy too) Avengers were all without wingfold.  That the wing is somewhat larger (and with a more complicated 'arrangement') may have discouraged manufacturers.  The only option is the Kendall Model set, now unobtainable at any price.

I tried to convince Wolfpack at Telford, but my attempts failed due to my lack of Korean, and the concept is too difficult to explain to my two Korean acquaintances (both female) for a translation!  In any case a) Wolfpack seem to be concentrating on 'modern' subjects and b) The Hasegawa, the best, is not easy to come by and Wolfpack might want to support their own, Korean, Academy Avenger instead.

So I'm hoping that Airfix might re-tool their Avenger, this time with greater detail and folding wings.  It was conceded to me at Telford that it would be fully consistent with subjects that Airfix are now tooling.  Unfortunately there are many, many other subjects they could choose instead, so I don't hold out too much hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Don't know about Revell but the old Airfix A-7 had wings that could be assembled in either folded or open configuration.

I have this in stash