Br52 steam loco

K4T307

Regarding your "gun on top" question... I walked along on the top of it, and I was almost scared as it is such thin and wobbly sheet metal, I had assumed that it won't support more than 300-500kg.😂

The train guys confirmed this, as the shocks at 50+km/h and the added weight on the roof would tear the metal apart.

Prost.

As stated on fb, good stuff u r showing here.💪🏻

Edited by Blaubar
  • Like 2

Wow, superb, i wish we could get  a scotsman, or mallard in this scale, I've a feeling either would sell like the proverbial hot cake, really top job steve

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hewy said:

Wow, superb, i wish we could get  a scotsman, or mallard in this scale, I've a feeling either would sell like the proverbial hot cake, really top job steve

Make it a Duchess, and I'll definitely buy one. Great work with the weathering Steve. It looks like it has been worked to death.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve been joking on my Facebook page

“Hans n Herrmann were lazy Gits, waiting to get shot, however they had information that their Oberleutnant was a a jewish sympathiser, their loco was war weary and battered, getting every rotten job going because Max the Oberleutnant wanted them dead” 

😀😂

its helped me explain why its unusually grubby! 😂

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Make it a Duchess, and I'll definitely buy one. Great work with the weathering Steve. It looks like it has been worked to death.

John.

Would that be streamlined or not, I would have at least one of each.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely looking In your photo @bullbasket 

I certainly prefer the older looking less streamlined version. 

So for the moment ive put the loco to the side whilst I sort out the temporary track. I say temporary because eventually I will (I will I will I will ) build a dio.

i started off with a black undercoat. Then various washes. I did the timber work in oils throwing in some lighter or yellower browns as bass coats to try replicate replacement wood or variations in weather. 

I need to add some loose ballast. But ultimately th image is let down by the way trumpeter build up this part of the kit. 

The rails clip to the sleepers after they have been pushed through the base plate. It leaves some sunken or badly fitting. But as I say it’s tempoary for now.. or the next couple of years. 

Ive still more work to do to it.. but awaiting parts. 

31105270977_5f9cec68b6_b.jpg

45994465432_2682f1d4aa_b.jpg

• Like 1

That's a very impressive model - well done.

Might I point out one small mistake? On the right hand side of the loco, looking from the cab towards the front. The valve gear is not quite right.

The crank on the centre axle looks to be 180 degrees out. It needs to come off the crank pin back towards the axle, not pointing out towards the wheel tread. I hope you can see what I mean in the photos of 6229. It looks as thought it is correct on the left side of your loco. The end of the return crank is just a bit offset from the axle and it is this slight movement as the wheel goes round that makes the valve gear work.   John

• Thanks 1

Hi @J Sherratt 

thank you. The instructions for trumpeter as to where to place these parts are awful at best! They don’t even have the 1/4 turn difference per side 

45150169905_e3c3670cf0_z.jpg

would blue or red be the correct placement? 

I placed these parts 3 times just trying to work on a logical mechanical approach and simply what looked “right” 

apprecaite the input I’m happy to correct it! 🙂  

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The track looks really good Steve. I'm glad to see that you have made the ballast look dirty. Nothing worse than clean, spotless ballast.

John.

Totally agree. Nothing is clean on the railways! Especially as toilets if fitted simply emptied on to the track! 

1 hour ago, J Sherratt said:

Hi Steve

I found some useful photos here on this link:

http://www.primeportal.net/transports/hans-hermann_buhling/rahmen/

I hope you will find the first few photos helpful, I think the photos will show better than I can describe. Cheers, John

Thank you john they were great. 

Although what helped me the most was tracking down some footage from YouTube to really get my head around things, 

i used this video to correct myself, 

Amd going by that video I've been able to see where it should be. 

@Blaubar  popped some great photos and screenshots from books up on our facebook page that helped too.... although his descriptions of schwingenstange made me laugh 😂 

Now or to try and fix this without too much damage 🤞🤞🤞🤞

On 25/11/2018 at 18:12, Steve_farrier said:

I certainly prefer the older looking less streamlined version. 

I have to tell you the streamlined version was the original way they were built, the streamlining was removed after WW2 because of the maintenance penalty. The loco probably would have been scrapped but Butlins bought a couple for the kids to play on at their holiday camps. It was saved from being scrapped again and in the early 2000's money was raised to revert back to its original condition. 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2018 at 16:10, Bullbasket said:

Agreed, beautiful. But much more handsome and purposeful looking like this.

cdd67ad1-5cea-4cf9-97eb-6aac14fbefa9.jpg

Hi Bullbasket, the sign on the front is the appeal to raise money to re-streamline the Duchess back to how she was built in 1938.

It will be nice to see a streamlined "Coronation" once again. Obviously, she was one of the streamlined builds as can be sen by the clipped top to the smoke box. The post war ones didn't have this feature. I've ridden on a few "Royal Scot'" and "Midday Scot's", pulled by one of this class. Duchess of Montrose springs to mind. Stanier's finest.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve).

John.

Agreed, sorry Steve, Good looking kriegsloko by the way. I took the photo at the NRM at York, I think the plan was to get the old girl running as a streamliner, pulling specials, however the power company sponsoring the rebuild backed out as costs rose, as you say they first changed the boiler back to a semi, then raised funds from enthusiasts for the streamlining. whether she will be able to be steamed again is another question.( I have quite a few streamlined and without in OO gauge)

Bob