Br52 steam loco

On 02/10/2018 at 12:52, Blaubar said:

Steve,

you're on a roll, your building Speed with this kit is extremely impressive. 

The cabin might need some shiny touches, it seems a bit too dull?!?? At least the steam locos which I was able to take a ride on in the cabin, were quite shiny. But as I am 30... this is all post-war stuff/paint...

either way, stunning work and paint job.

I’ve a few bits to “brass up” so should brighten it up. I’ve test my fireman in today 

I’ve always struggled with figures. Skin tones imparticular, yes and lips are hard to not make them look toylike. But I’ve watched a few YouTube videos recently and have found the encouragement to continue. 

I think he needs another Matt coat. 

31212059938_80133b7580_b.jpg

43272136490_a0e5a6fa2f_b.jpg43272138800_f1e1baf7b9_b.jpg45037054582_ea705e0e8c_b.jpg

• Like 6

On 05/10/2018 at 07:56, Kris B said:

If you just fit the orange light in the burning chamber it can looks like real. 

@Kris B did you see the small video I uploaded of the fire box? 🙂 I’ve got a smouldering fire 🔥 led setup behind it. I’ll make a new video now with all the paint and extras in 🙂 

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I felt the cab looked too empty with just Mr Beard, too unatura, the cat (sooty lol) comes from a miniart german tank crew ammo carrying box... supplied with 2 identical cats. The details ok on them.. the face is nice but the body is almost smooth so getting the texture of fur is challenging. 

Hopefully manage some more tonight. 

Thank you all 🙂 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2018 at 08:42, Steve_farrier said:

@Kris B did you see the small video I uploaded of the fire box? 🙂 I’ve got a smouldering fire 🔥 led setup behind it. I’ll make a new video now with all the paint and extras in 🙂 

No, can't find it. I've just noticed it on one of the photos.

• Like 1

Well this weekend I managed to get lots done! 

I had to get some undercoat on the chassis because I got to a point where I couldn’t continue the build without making it difficult to paint later. 

45111869832_924611e9ef_b.jpg30222442317_4a92238de0_b.jpg30222447137_f8a85c92e2_b.jpg

The black makes it difficult to show the details on camera but it’s come out nice. 

When you get the boiler and chasis married there are issues!! The middle supports just don’t reach! The distance is huge! Too big to force or trim others down! I’m going to have to splice in some plasticard! 😞 

31286969128_654e003d35_b.jpg

the ptfe tale helps keep tension on without risking pulling paint off like tape! 

31286952628_968d4a6d57_b.jpg

There’s 4 points like this on the boiler. 

After a while you get to a point in the build where you need to turn everything upside down to do things under the chassis that Connect to the boiler... I had a few issues with things getting broken off just because of the weight of the loco. 

So I spent a little while this evening making myself up a jig to hold it safely and securely upside down 

45164431571_28b3ef75bd_b.jpg

45164434161_9043a467c1_b.jpg

• Like 7

When you've followed the instructions to the letter, It's annoying to find that they have made a cockup in the production of the kit parts. Good luck with the splicing.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. 

Theres been a bit of a gap... not because I’ve been lax on building... but because there’s jist lots of black primer photos... mostly showing such small details that it’s hard to show them here. 

45444475241_4cf20a034b_b.jpg

Hopefully you can see the mold seam lines above have been scraped off. Almost every piece in the kit needs doing 😞 

44719905444_7fd5228846_b.jpg

this was how I filled the gaps under the boiler mounts. I cut very thin wedge slithers of balsa type wood (the soft wood from a  Camembert cheese case)!! 

31569232058_aeafff66b3_b.jpg

it seema to have worked pretty well. Once painted you’ll hardly see them unless looking for it! 

45474960321_c73c93ca11_b.jpg

44719907954_f0b066fe55_b.jpg

43657444160_84dd2a25ef_b.jpg

These steps were included in the Eduard extras I bought. Whilst technically wrong (post war) they were just too nice not to add! 

I’m still enjoying this subject imensly. 

On the Facebook page we have managed to amass a huge amount of reference photos and technical data for the BR52. Mostly courtesy of @Blaubar and his friends. 

Im still undecided as to  what colour/scheme  to paint. All over Grey seems to be the most genuine paint scheme, yet the box art comes with 2 suggestions. Black/red (civilian I think) 

and grey/yellow but have yet to find any evidence for this away from the box art. 

Camouflaging a steam engine would be a bit of a waste especially as the smoke trail behind the engine could stretch for a half dozen wagon lengths. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steve_farrier said:

Camouflaging a steam engine would be a bit of a waste especially as the smoke trail behind the engine could stretch for a half dozen wagon lengths. 

Not to mention that said vehicle is limited to travelling along miles and miles of shiny metal track laid out on equally long but wider 'roads' of pale coloured ballast.

Having said that, there was probably a good case for doing the old naval trick of painting or even constructing a fake engine at the rear end of the train (with smoke) and painting the actual engine to look more like a guard's van!

Stunning and beautiful work Steve.

Badder

• Like 4

On 21/10/2018 at 18:15, Steve_farrier said:

this was how I filled the gaps under the boiler mounts. I cut very thin wedge slithers of balsa type wood (the soft wood from a  Camembert cheese case)!! 

Necessity is the mother of invention. Nice work with those steps. They look excellent.

John. 

• Thanks 1

Steve, looking good. You got to get credit for your cheesy 😉solution, fabulous.

You know I don't like those stairs 😂

How are the vinyl sand pipes sticking to the model? Is CA glue working? Many people do have problems with it... came across many issues on German forums... as you know, no problem for me as it will take me years to get there😂, but still sth of interest.

keep it up

/Stef

• Like 1

Those vinyl pieces were a pain in the bottom! 

They are fractionally too short so they end up tight. I had to cut the mounting lugs off them. Then I case one side in a small Amount  of air dry clay under the valves to hide the fact they wouldn’t join! 

Glue was another issue.. thankfully Gorilla glue seems to work quite well. I did get very close to constructing it all from wire.. something I’d encourage everyone else to do! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31767015768_6d3a527936_b.jpg

starting to look more like a loco now than a black lump! 

Some seriously fiddly pieces that I’ll go in to detail with the next post after I’ve taken more photos. 

I need to do a test run with some paints I’ve bought so I can gauge them for colour accuracy. 

45639353461_e9643e46c7_b.jpg

in the above you can see where the vinyl sand valves have been added to with some off white air dry clay. They were fractionally too short so had to improvise. It shouldn’t be greatly noticeable to the majority. 

44725355115_9decd7048b_b.jpg30698565677_8b6413b1b6_b.jpg

before and after PE extras! A real shame to paint it! What doesn’t show up is I dented the doors in places just so it doesn’t look so new! 

Not too many pieces left on the sprues now!!! 😀😀😀😀

more parts arrived today in the form of clear resin liquid to make my own lenses up. Also some new SMDs 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Btw, I need to steal your rig technology😂 Any blueprints or drawings available, haha?

Lol who do you think you are!? 😂😂 

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

Just caught up,  looking great steve, its a big old unit isn't it. 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn it’s huge lol

45023602604_55e6a404e8_b.jpg

this weekend just gone I started on some wet blended base coats. 3 different greys... all from rattle cans 

45023602974_3337530845_b.jpg

I did have one alight issue!! 

I forgot to mask both sides of one of the windows... annoyingly the most obvious window too!! 

I started to clear the paint off with cotton buds and paint remover... however this failed as it started to melt the clear plastic! Thankfully the paint remover softened the glue on the photoetch window frame meaning I could replace with new film! 

45023600914_b3519c2366_b.jpg

45698336062_654b957dc4_b.jpg

Here the replacement glass has been installed. And the interior light switched on 🙂 

still some grey flakes of paint on the floor in the photo but they got blasted out with air!