Br52 steam loco

Well I’ve decided to start on this monster build! It’s huge! The track base provides won’t even fit in my double door display cabinet!

the kit itself is getting tired I think, there’s some miss aligned parts and flash that need removing on most pieces. (Not horrific but still requires attention) cylinders that have great big seams running through them etc.

I bought this kit off a member here (though I forget his name) it comes with 2x photo etched kits to upgrade the details. 

Heres where i am at at the moment 

42354524900_f2981856b9_b.jpg44162848331_95f42488cc_b.jpg44162844561_9bfb7dc8b3_b.jpg

Before starting I highlit everything for where the photoetch replacements/additions need to go. Takes some time but we’ll worth the effort! 

44114751722_39e182975e_b.jpg43444840764_8d2da29995_b.jpg

how I now organise my process. 

43444840114_a1d3032dfe_b.jpg43444839894_d9cac2b7f9_b.jpg44114748632_9785e6c0c7_b.jpg44114744732_29b122a5e9_b.jpg44114751032_fc677400bc_b.jpg30376382638_3872967819_b.jpg

The air cylinders started off well... until I realised I muddled them up... one is shorter in height and length and sit in the opposite positions to where I fixed them to start with, I had to break the PE to get them to fit in the correct place after that 

short legs and long legs needed changing over and position on the loco was switched 😞 [ note to self...pay more attention idiot!] 😂😂

• Like 8

Looks a nice bundle Steve, following with interest. :popcorn: A tip that was passed onto me, was getting the chassis ( not sure if this is the correct term?) aligned correctly then everything else fill fit together nicely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looks a nice bundle Steve, following with interest. :popcorn: A tip that was passed onto me, was getting the chassis ( not sure if this is the correct term?) aligned correctly then everything else fill fit together nicely.

Definitely, when I glued her up I clamped and taped her square 🙂 

this is a topic that I love yet know little about, so I set up a Facebook group for trumpeter train builds. It’s helping a lot! 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/483076225394624 

whilst not many builds going on in the page it became an ash place for me to collate reference materials. 

Howver my build wont go as detailed as @Blaubars! 

• Like 1

Built this kit earlier this year, albeit without the PE upgrades. Damn impressive kit when finished, be careful with the blocks which the boiler sits on at the front of the locomotive, I found them to be a bit too close together when fitted. As has been mentioned, if the underframe is finished it will go together fine. I would also recommend painting the valve gear before assembly. Love your workbench by the way, might have to do something like that with my cabinet doors!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soviet-Salad said:

Love your workbench by the way, might have to do something like that with my cabinet doors!

Thanks very much I got bored with plain wood. Made a simple stencil 🙂 

How did your kit turn out? Got any photos? I’m undecided what colours to paint mine yet. But I’ve also got some interesting additions coming! 😳🤪

@Ozzy glad to have you on board the Facebook page. 🙂 it’s a slow page but it’s handy 🙂 

@FrancisGL it’ll go in to a diorama at some point lol. Though it’ll have to be the size of my kitchen table 😂 

• Like 1

So far this weekend I’ve got a fair bit done. 

Had to stop temporarily with the engine as I’m awaiting yet ANOTHER! PE kit. This time for in the cab. Hopefully be here next week... along with some other pieces. Including a Panhard panzerspehwagen 

44287202211_539bddbbdc_b.jpg

THE green black mess is just filler and permenent marker points for locating the nuts 🥜. It’ll clean up fine painting. 

44287202881_355c7a3620_b.jpg

the kit comes with an option to add a Faux wood frame around the top. (Plastic!) the PE extras call for the support legs to be chopped off and PE ones added. Turns out wooden coffee sticks are 1/16 narrower than the plastic counterparts. However the ability to have natural wood led me to accept the shortcoming. 

44287201921_74e8c3d451_b.jpg

with the addition of extra PE around the rear of the tender it comes to light that the ladders are now too wide to fit. There’s a cupboard door to it’s left and the weather strip blocks it getting any closer. 

I resulted in making my own ladders from PE offcuts and brass tube (from my KT cleaning barrels I didn’t use) 

29351033367_e39a00e8be_b.jpg

ladders on locos tend to get battered about so I’m happy with the slightly knarled look 🙂 

As I said above I run a Facebook page for the trumpeter loco builds and am finding it a quick and easy place to seek advice or store images. There were some varying differences between these Kreigslok when built in the factory. Probably due to individual factory abilities/supplies and field fittings. 

Enjoying the build immensely atm 

more tomorrow i hope 🙂 🤞 

• Like 6

Slow and steady is what you need for a build like this Steve, by the time you finish yours I might have got around to getting one myself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pommie commie said:

Believe it or not, some of these are operational today at the Bukinje Mine in Bosnia. Several videos on YouTube

There’s a good par on FB that is full of working museum locos and these regularly appear 🙂 https://m.facebook.com/groups/511184642291274

mill search the Bosnia ones though. 

I’ve a lovely photo book at home regarding Chinese steam engines, that will be good for weathering 🙂

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Are you planning to add any waggons? It's gonna be big piece of kit itself.

Yeah I have various plans. Currently have 3 wagons to go with her, a flak cannon to go on the back of the tender .. trumpeter one I think it looks daunting! Certainly more detailed than the old Tamiya units. 

I will also have some tank transport flatbeds, one bought, the rest will be cast from resin by myself as they are just so expensive to purchase 

all told... another 3 years work planned I guess 😂😂😂🥜🥜🥜

The platformwagen kit is very nice, the wood effort top can be replaced by coffee sticks as they are the same width. Sabre models to a smaller platforwagon which fits Trumperter tracks.

• Like 1

About 12 hours work today! And only 3/4 if the way through the PE on the coal face of the boiler done. 

Also a sneak peak of some of my extras going in 

44467890832_87919633e4_b.jpg

Untitled

Click on the bottom image and it should show you the video! 🤞 

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 6