Rareplane 1/72 Grumman Goose

kev67

Hi, just a quick update, the Goose is now at the stage where I have blocked out all the windows, doors etc and masked the cockpit glazing, which was a pain because of the curves of the windscreen, but got there in the end, it is now ready for its first primer coat using Tamiya surface primer from the rattle can, this will show any imperfections and also I can scribe some panel lines, the primer can then be rubbed down and a final primer coat applied.

Once I am happy with everything the floats will be added, and then I can start to add some paint

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

• Like 10

Have been trying on and off to build the rareplanes shrike with little luck. At the rate I am going it will end up as much, if not more putty than plastic. And because it isnt scribed, it will look nothing short of goofy even if I do manage to scrape it together. Guess thats part of the process! Ill be following this one closely.

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 4:45 AM, Tweener said:

Have been trying on and off to build the rareplanes shrike with little luck. At the rate I am going it will end up as much, if not more putty than plastic. And because it isnt scribed, it will look nothing short of goofy even if I do manage to scrape it together. Guess thats part of the process! Ill be following this one closely.

I would not worry to much about scribing though, there is a lot of rivet and panel line detail on the Goose, but I have mostly sanded it back. there are a few Shrikes on this website 

https://rareplanes.jimdo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to show, although I have added the floats and tided some areas up that the primer revealed and rubbed the whole model down, I decided against scribing and will just add pencil lines to indicate panel lines in the end, hopefully soon I will give it one last coat of primer, and then start painting

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

Yes it will be the RAF camo version, I have never done a camouflaged model before, all straight lines, so it should be a learning curve for me

If it helps, this is how I have done a couple this year. Blue tak or equivalent with masking tape/fluid as required:

20180127_11462120180127_12203320180127_191916

Looks terrible as you do it, but the results seem ok:

20180308_003941

• Like 5

Coming along nicely. Is this the one I saw and chatted with you at Modelfest recently?? If so I can vouch for the wonderful job so far to other members here who have not seen it in the flesh.

6 hours ago, kev67 said:

I decided against scribing and will just add pencil lines to indicate panel lines in the end,

Arrgh! Light bulb moment, why didn't I think of that,?! I've been agonizing over re-scribing a Heller Bf109B/C and in 1/72. Some 2 H pencils would be perfect and you can make as many mistakes as you want and fix  'em, Geezer Kev, I owe thee a fair few glasses of Chardonnay...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kev67 said:

Yes it will be the RAF camo version, I have never done a camouflaged model before, all straight lines, so it should be a learning curve for me

Learning curve?

I see what you did there 😉

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, kev67 said:

Hi Paul, I did bring it along to the Farnborough show a couple of weeks ago

Thought it was. We compared it with my Sword kit build in dark blue USN markings.