1/72 Vlamgat Mirage F1AZ

progress made yesterday. Green is on and I am happy with results. Photos are from night on artificial light so colors are bit different. Last photo is from this morning. Some parts as nose or air intake leading edge is already masked and prepared for airbrush.

IMG-20181104-203953.jpg

IMG-20181104-204011.jpg

IMG-20181105-074615.jpg

• Like 6

Brown is little bit lighter, just a bit, that's true, but from my experiences with Tamiya acrylics, it will get darker after clear coat and wash. Guys on SAAF Forum says that color seems to be spot on so hopefully it will looks good once finished 🤔 and I can still use some filters if it's not gonna be okey 

That's looking great, Patrik.  

I've just managed to find these pics, which were taken (I'm pretty sure) at the 1985 Swartkop airshow.  This was the first time that I had seen the SAAF Mirage F1 in the camouflage scheme that you are modelling:

Swartkop F1 10002

The debonair young chap in the fetching '80s apparel and wearing the rather elegant SAAF Museum baseball cap in 'contrasting' yellow is a very much younger version of myself.  In the photo I am clutching a poster of a SAAF Shackleton, which I still have stored in a box somewhere! I'm afraid the camo scheme doesn't really show up very well in this pic, but my father wasn't concerned about such things.

Members of the public could sit in the cockpit for a small fee:

Swartkop F1 20002

Those yellow baseball caps were very popular!

Jon

• Like 1

Good point - that explains why the green/tan doesn't seem to show up too well on the airshow pics! Air defence vs ground attack - makes sense for the difference in the schemes. I had been used to seeing both AZs and CZs in the same tan/green/light grey camouflage. Anyway, finding the snaps brought back some memories. Apologies for skewing the thread, Patrik!

Jon

I am really glad for any response at this thread. At all Jon, you're lucky that you have a photos like these 👍 and I add interesting photos to my collection and future build of CZ thanks to you 🙂

I also welcome any constructive criticism because I think it makes better modelers from everyone. 

BTW: another progress should be tomorrow 

• 2 weeks later...

I get home during weekend and picked my custom decal sheet for Mirage. So I can finally continue on this little beast 🤨
So here are few decal sheets 😂

IMG-20181119-215152.jpg

And here is progress I made today on stencils

IMG-20181119-215130.jpg

• Like 6

Really looking the part!

I must confess to waiting for Special Hobby's F.1A rather than buying a seperate conversion... I already have the Albatros Dark Mirage decals ready.

Cheers,

Andre