XP-82 Twin Mustang

72modeler

I have attached a link to photos and a brief article on the restoration and pending first flight of the XP-82 by Tom Reilly. If you go to their website, you can see a detailed, step-by-step  history, recovery, and restoration of this very rare NAA fighter. The workmanship and labor expended on this project is incredible! At the same time, an F-82E, which is Allison-powered (unlike the XP-82 which is Merlin-powered) is being restored to flight in Minnesota. They will be the only two airworthy Twin Mustangs, as the Confederate Air Force P-82B was damaged many years ago in a landing accident, and the USAF took the airplane back and it is on static display at the AFM along with P-82B Betty Joe, the long distance record holder. Before you get too worked up, neither the 1/72 Monogram or Special Hobby kit can be built as a Merlin-powered P-82, as they are both F-82E's. Airwaves used to make a resin conversion cowling  for the Monogram kit to make a P-82B/C/D, of which I have a pair, but they are  OOP. I  can't wait to see this one back in the air, as I remember seeing the CAF's airplane fly in Harlingen many years ago. Enjoy!

Mike

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The hope was that Tom and co would fly in time to take her to Oshkosh, however the number of hours needing to be flown off persuaded them to take their time.

There are a lot of people around the world who have been following Tom's very generous updates for a long time. We're all excited but patient!