Gulf war Buccaneer

Simon382

Good evening. I've started the Airfix 1/48 Bucc and intend to model an example from the first Gulf war. My question is regarding the ordanace hanging from the wings. When parked they are normally folded. Does it do so with any ordanance still attached? I've been scouring the internet but so far have been unable to find any relevant pictures/info. Any help would be very gratefully as I need all the help I can get with this one!

Thanks for the info Jabba. Not what I wanted to hear though as the join between wing sections is best described as b****y awful and that's being generous with the Airfix incarnation. As for the link, fantastic. I have a Tornado and Jag in the stash, all destined to be Gulf war particpants, and the site is just full of useful info so many thanks.

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

There is nothing to say that you can't fold the wings though. I have on my one, but that was mainly as a space saver.

I agree with Jabba: it's your model, so if you want to fold the wings ... fold 'em!  

• Like 1

The wings could be folded with stores attached, I seem to recall seeing them folded with Sea Eagles on the outboard pylons.

• Like 1

Buccs might have been capable of holding stores with the wings folded but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a feature used by the RAF as the necessity for them to be squeezed into small spaces wasn't really a requirement. There are some photos on the web showing RAF Buccs with their wings folded but I don't think these aircraft are 'operational', rather than retired examples on display.

As ever, happy to be proved wrong.

Paul.

• Like 1

I did find a picture in "Wing of Fame" vol 14 which shows one of the pink Buccs being towed into the Gulf Air hangar at Muharraq from the Stbd side. It still has the ECM pod fitted on the folded part of the wing, plus the wing tank is also still fitted. The picture does not show the Port side, so I am not sure if anything is fitted, but as it is being towed towards a hangar I do not think that anything will be fitted due to regulations. If it was on the Flightline, the sidewinder may have been fitted with the wings in this position. Hope that this is of some help.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1