DIpping my toes back into Maritime - a 1/72 Vosper MTB

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The mystery parts are 71 and 72. They look superb, but I need to do some more research to work out where they need to go!

Hi Terry,

I had this same issue, as you.

On my BPB MTB build I glued part 72 at the bottom edge of the outer surface of the Oerlikon gun shield, using the following photo for reference.

38006709565_51f9c29b37_w.jpg

edit: I found the following photo of the finished gun assembly;

spacer.png

I never did find where part 71 is used.  It's still in my parts bin.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice work with the Micro chisel - be careful - they are sharp - I know to my cost!

Nice detailing

Rob

Thanks Rob. That sounds painful!

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

On my BPB MTB build I glued part 72 at the bottom edge of the outer surface of the Oerlikon gun shield, using the following photo for reference.

38006709565_51f9c29b37_w.jpg

That makes sense John, thanks!

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm: Before I turned the page and saw Johns reply, I was going to say 72 was the belt that goes around the gunners shoulders :shrug:

71 I'll pass on for now......

Good to see progress at last 😉

Kev

Thanks Kev. So now we know 72 is probably not the gunners shoulder belt, but wait .......... given none of us know what 71 is for, maybe that is to hold his trousers up?

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very true.

Welcome back to your build.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, it's good to be back .......... again ........... and again............

Terry

• Haha 4

So last evening started reasonably well with construction of the etch oerlikon gun shield and supports...

IMG20200630174606

Those who know the Coastal Craft set for this might spot that the lower cross member on the rear of the shield, should in fact be higher up. The other cross member (on the front) should be in this position. Also, my measurements were out, and the two shields needed to be closer together! That error got fixed and we ended up with a half respectable set of components, all glued together:

IMG20200630210503 IMG20200701162337

Then a quick test of the actual guns on the cradle:

IMG20200630210318 IMG20200630210418

Not bad I guess ............ but I wasn't happy. The resin parts in this set were not as precise in terms of moulding and finesse as I would have liked. In particular the cradle had been set onto the elevation arm in a not very straight way. Partly my fault, and partly due to the resin parts not lending themselves to good geometric alignment. I decided to dismantle the cradle itself (the resin parts I had already constructed and have a re-think. I have excellent plans for this gun mount in my references, so decided to scratch build the actual cradle. The brass parts are absolutely fine, so all we need to do is take them apart .......... er challenging!

In removing the resin cradle from the resin pivot arm, the shield and the other part of the cradle got damaged:

IMG20200701163855 IMG20200701163900

Staying calm, my next task was to remove the shield from the resin and straighten up the arms. Happy to say this worked.

IMG20200701165849

I'm now left with this which shows the gub support cradle which I have decided to scratch build, along with the support arms which fit to the pedestal and the gun shield.

IMG20200701164752

Looking at the drawing I have from the excellent Coastal Forces book, I should have scratch built the whole cradle and support arms in the first place, to achieve something much closer in accuracy and detail to the prototype. I have after all put much work into the oerlikon platform itself, and this whole assembly is a very prominent part of this build, so I want it to look good.

More soon on progress on the scratch built items.

Terry

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

...the lower cross member on the rear of the shield, should in fact be higher up. The other cross member (on the front) should be in this position. ...

Hi Terry,

I'm curious about the rear lower cross member being 'higher up' than the front cross member.  This isn't shown in any of the photos I have, e.g. my photo included in my post, above & your photo included on the previous page.  Just wondering where you found the info on the 'higher up' position.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Hi Terry,

I'm curious about the rear lower cross member being 'higher up' than the front cross member.  This isn't shown in any of the photos I have, e.g. my photo included in my post, above & your photo included on the previous page.  Just wondering where you found the info on the 'higher up' position.

Thanks,

John

The placement was as per the Coastal Craft set, and it seems another small error, as indeed according to the plans I have, it is at the bottom, similar to the front. It makes sense for both to be alinged I think.

IMG20200701201351

And I had already corrected the model!

IMG20200701201226

These things are sent to try us!

Terry

• Like 8

Hi Terry just wondering if this might help it was taken aboard the Jerry O,Brien in San Francisco few years back I know it is just the single mount but some similar fittings

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good job all round Terry - I think you've got to the right place and I've made all the same mistakes as you!

They are very fiddly to do (not that we can get any more of them :weep:)

However - here's an alternative for single cannon (sadly not double yet) https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-navy-weapons/products/1-72-royal-navy-20mm-oerlikon-mki-gun-0º-elevation

My great frustration with the CC guns was that the barrels were never straight - yo might have that to come :whistle:

Rob

• Thanks 1

That gun mounting is definitely a case two steps forward, one back but you'll get there in the end, albeit slowly.:snail:

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

These things are sent to try us!

...for sure but we're modellers not assemblers, just get on with it :coolio:

Stuart

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Good job all round Terry - I think you've got to the right place and I've made all the same mistakes as you!

They are very fiddly to do (not that we can get any more of them :weep:)

However - here's an alternative for single cannon (sadly not double yet) https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-navy-weapons/products/1-72-royal-navy-20mm-oerlikon-mki-gun-0º-elevation

My great frustration with the CC guns was that the barrels were never straight - yo might have that to come :whistle:

Rob

Thanks Rob. That micromaster single cannon looks superb. I notice they do a twin version in 1/96, so I have sent them a message to ask if they plan to ever do the twin in 1/72 ................ Their other stuff is very enticing I must say. I think there will be a few things winging their way to me in the not too distant future.

I agree about the CC barrels. Looking at both mine, they don't look great, so I have just ordered a set of these from the big H...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GM-72-007?result-token=N2YIW

Designed for the Crusader AA tank, but I reckon they are good for the job!

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

We live and learn....

good perseverance on show

👍

Kev

Thanks Kev. I'm learning that Coastal Forces models require much perseverance, especially in this scale. Loving it though, despite taking me a while!

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

That gun mounting is definitely a case two steps forward, one back but you'll get there in the end, albeit slowly.:snail:

...for sure but we're modellers not assemblers, just get on with it :coolio:

Stuart

As you can see above, another slight change on the gun mount, but I'm keen to get it as accurate as possible. After all the effort I put into the bandstand and treads, I can't have a naff looking gun mounting plonked on top!

OK, OK, I'm getting on with it now.............

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:41 AM, longshanks said:

A friend has reminded me of the 1/72 20mm oerlikon available from David J Parkins at Great little Ships

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18198&cat=303&page=3

Kev

I saw that Kev, thanks. I also approached Simon at Micromaster, to see if they would down scale the 1/96 twin mount, and sure enough he did, so that remains an option as well. While I was on the Micromaster site, I have to confess I purchased a number of items for future (and current) builds!

Meanwhile work has begun on scratch building my own replacement using the Master Models brass barrels from the big H. Progress on that so far:

The cradle, minus the additional stuff to hold the two oerlikons as I want to see what the Master Models parts look like for measurements etc

20200706_170301

Work on the arm to hold the cradle

20200705_111541 20200705_111933

The rod I'm holding will be cut right down close to the two cross pieces, then some webs will need fashioning, and the whole lot then sits on top of the existing mount. Arms will be made for each end of the cross piece. You get the idea......

IMG20200701201351

Other things I've started to modify to better match the prototype are the front windows below the open bridge. Photo's and drawings have convinced me the kit parts are too close together.

20200704_140517

Kit part:

20200704_140439

I decided to modify the outside  pair by "moving them" outwards. I did that by adding small strips of square rod down the inside of each outside window, and removing the corresponding amount, on the outer edges of each.

20200704_150553

Clearly the kit transparencies are now not going to fit, but I didn't intend to use those anyway! So three new windows will need to be produced. More on that later.

I needed to get the flag locker closer to the plans. A few bits of strip used for that:

20200705_104224 20200705_104217

And I decided that the step up to the bridge from the rear was not at all convincing so have started to re-build that again in line with plans.

Kit part:

20200704_142455

New step constructed along with more in scale areas either side. Some tool boxes will go under the one to the left of the step:

20200705_214519 20200705_214641

There is some work to do on top of the flag locker, which houses a compass, some clips to hold a torch (I think) and a housing in which an Aldis lamp sits. This is an extract of the plan showing how busy things are on top of the flag locker. Top of picture is forward, bottom aft........

20200704_140609

Said Aldis housing has been started to be fashioned thus:

IMG20200705143918

Finally for today, two storage boxes to be attached on the upright faces either side of the bridge which semi protects the area behind the bridge itself:

20200706_170231

None of the additional detail is exactly perfect, but the aim is to represent as much extra detail as possible, to generally add to the realism of the boat. 

More to follow soon

Terry

• Like 9

Good to see you going to town and do a cracking job :thumbsup:

I small suggestion.....

The wheelhouse windows you remodeled in the pic appear to be rectangular, where as yours seem square. Just a thought

Stay safe 

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, longshanks said:

The wheelhouse windows you remodeled in the pic appear to be rectangular, where as yours seem square. Just a thought

Yes I thought that as well. I may need to squeeze things from top to bottom, just a tad I think. It also might get resolved by the way I'm planning the windows - rectangles of clear then plastic with thin plastic strip borders. The whole lot will be stuck on the exterior, giving the raised effect seen in the picture. Something like that. Need to think it through.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

... rectangles of clear then plastic with thin plastic strip borders. The whole lot will be stuck on the exterior, giving the raised effect seen in the picture.

That's basically what I've done on my Brave Borderer build, except I cut the window borders from one piece of plastic.  Your idea should work, as well.  It'll just take a little fiddling to place the tiny strips around the windows.

50084264566_4eea58a906_n.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, JohnWS said:

That's basically what I've done on my Brave Borderer build, except I cut the window borders from one piece of plastic.  Your idea should work, as well.  It'll just take a little fiddling to place the tiny strips around the windows.

Thanks John. I've been working on that idea of yours using some thin strip, this attempt was a sort of test. I built all three together, to get the dimensions as close to each other as possible........

IMG20200718004719

Then I cut each one out and cleaned it up:

IMG20200719113727

I think this might work. A bit more cleaning up needed though.

Next I did some more work on the Oerlikon support. I'm having a go at scratch building one myself. This part was fashioned from tube and scrap card for the webs.

IMG20200711183212 IMG20200711183202

Support arms and spacer shown as well:

IMG20200710141843

Assembled onto the CC pedestal. I've also made a base from scratch, which will need my ultra small hexagonal bolts, courtesy of the MAFVA shop!

IMG20200719144545

The twin guns themselves need replacement, as the barrels CC were not straight:

IMG20200719145754

I plan to remove both barrel sections from the breach area and use these beauties which arrived this week:

IMG20200719145116 IMG20200719145141 IMG20200719145201

As you can see they are miniature masterpieces and should fit neatly onto the existing breach block. More on that later.

Incidentally, the Master Models accessories are so compelling, I took the opportunity to acquire a few more bits for other/future projects as you can see.........

IMG20200719145919

Finally I've also done a bit more work around the rear of the bridge, on the flag locker top (Compass, equipment clip and Aldis lamp holder)

IMG20200715143919

A couple of views of the rear of the bridge itself, also showing the remodelled under parts and step up. Major sub assemblies here are still not glued, due to awaiting paint.

IMG20200719141648 IMG20200719141637

Next area of focus will be to get the Oerlikons completed, and the front part of the bridge and windows.

I also had a delivery of paint from Sovereign Hobbies, although a couple of key colours are still awaiting stock, but at least now I can get on with painting the inside of the bridge area, before bringing it together finally.

More soon

Terry

• Like 12