DIpping my toes back into Maritime - a 1/72 Vosper MTB

Bad luck on the shingles.  I’ve never had it (yet), but my bro had it last year so I know how unpleasant it is.  

Lovely work on the Vosper.   A subject about which I know next to nothing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bad luck on the shingles

Yes agree hope you have a speedy recovery not a nice thing to have so I,am told

beefy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bad luck on the shingles.  I’ve never had it (yet), but my bro had it last year so I know how unpleasant it is.  

Lovely work on the Vosper.   A subject about which I know next to nothing.

37 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Yes agree hope you have a speedy recovery not a nice thing to have so I,am told

Thanks both. 

Yes it is a bit unpleasant, and quite an annoying distraction at the moment!

I'm pleased with the way the Vosper is coming along, but it's all a steep learning curve for me as I knew very little about these Coastal Forces boats myself before I started. A great learning adventure though!

Terry

• Like 2

Nice work on the bolts Terry - detail really pays off.

Shingles is unpleasant though be warned - PHN, Post Herpetic (Shingles) neuralgia can be a real sting in the tail.  On going pain and altered sensation at the site of shingles for weeks or months after.  It's the double whammy !

Get well soon

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the good wishes guys, I'm plodding on!

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Glad to see the olde shingles isn't holding you back, now get on with those bandstand treads...

At the moment its not holding me back much Stuart, fingers crossed. As for the bandstand treads, who knows.............

Talking of bandstands, more work today on the new idea of using the kit part. After dropping the floor from the Coastal Crafts offering and fitting a slightly deeper one with lightening holes (the practice run 😁) I obviously had to do it properly with the kit one, so more progress on that:

Firstly, lightening holes properly marked and spaced this time, just before cleaning up:

20190806_114020

Cleaned up and other components under construction. The floor and Oerlikon support parts here, although the yellow post-it note cut out is just a template at this stage and that small base piece at the bottom is getting cleaned up and will be more neatly re-bolted, with correct numbers of bolts:

20190806_120238

New base taking shape and I'm much happier with this one:

20190806_143359

And components test fitted for size etc:

20190806_143559

Just need to re-do the bolts around the base. The MAFVA ones I used earlier seem OK, but may use some more prominent bolts which I know I have somewhere in resin ............... just need to work out where I put them!

So we had some of the grand children down for a few days last week and I needed some light relief from serious modelling. They had asked if I could make them a jet fighter each, so these two oldies were pulled from the dormant stash and put together in less than 2 hours. Canopies were added shortly after this shot, and the MIG-15 did get its cannons put on! They wanted to take them home and paint them ......... who am I to argue? I'd quite forgotten how pleasing it is just to knock a model up in a short space of time. I'm also finding that MIG-17 very appealing ............. maybe I should get the new Airfix offering and do one properly?

20190803_113053

That's two more built from the stash!

More soon I'm sure

Terry

• Like 10

On 8/6/2019 at 6:15 PM, Courageous said:

Bandstand and gun mount are looking much better.

Thanks Stuart.

I've done more work on that part, basically building detail upon the Airfix version of the bandstand. Dimensionally it seems spot on and has the correct number of stanchions for the boat I'm modelling. I think the Coastal Craft offering is very good but likely somewhat "generic" for a range of these Vosper boats of various types. I think it was modelled on a different fit than the Airfix boat had.

Should have some more pics of progress tomorrow.

Terry

• Like 1

I managed to get myself out of the house today in an effort to get the upper hand on the shingles, since I was feeling marginally better. We walked to Dancing Ledge and back, which doesn't take too long from here. For those that don't know the area, Dancing Ledge is some old cliffside quarries, that now simply look like spectacular cliffs. The view out to the South and West is amazing, and usually Portland Bill is very clear and visible. The weather was kind this morning, so it was a very uplifting walk. Back to the hobby room this pm, as the rain squalls came in from the south west........

First comparing and reminding you of the differences between the Oerlikon bandstands. Modified Airfix on the left, Coastal Craft on the right, both underside view.. You can see the main difference in the numbers of Stanchion attachment points. On the flip side the detail is noticeably different as I showed in an earlier post. The Airfix one now has my own home fabricated attachment points, into which I will probably put the Coastal Craft stanchions, as they are rather neat and have a loop hole at the top to take the curved upper handrail.

20190808_143742_resized

I then had to test fit the Coastal Craft etched supports (which look very good) against the Airfix version and there was a slight issue, driven by the fact that the Airfix bandstand seems spot on in diameter, and the Coastal Craft version is wider. Hence brass is too wide for Airfix:

Coastal Craft version, perfect fit:

20190808_143724_resized

Airfix version too long...

20190808_143657_resized

Easy fix.........

20190808_145658_resized

So some cutting and cleaning up of all the supports and we are left with these, all ready to attach. I've marked them all up as Coastal Craft give you two options. One set for a level bandstand (some Vospers had this), and the other set, for the tilted forward bandstand, which I think is to do with the platform being level, when the boat is at normal cruising speed i.e. bow slightly high and out of the water - Coastal Forces experts please correct me if you know the real reason?

Anyway, on my boat (and plans) the platform is tilted forward, as is the original Airfix kit. So marking my ones up before fitting is key, as you will see that they are of necessity in pairs for obvious reasons. They are stuck down to reversed masking tape as I don't want to get them mixed up!

20190808_160424_resized

The really short one (63) is adjacent to the entry point on the rear quarter and a nearby locker, so I think it has to be that way?

Next job is to fit the supports, test fit to deck and work out why it doesn't fit ........... predictive modelling!

More very soon.

Terry

• Like 8

On 8/6/2019 at 7:45 AM, Courageous said:

Glad to see the olde shingles isn't holding you back, now get on with those bandstand treads...

Yes, Stuart. The first time you mentioned the bandstand treads, I thought I might look at the possibility of fabricating them, but then when you brought them up a second time, well I could't let that go could I?

It got me pondering how much more realistic they would make the bandstand look, and as I was already going to so much extra effort on that item, I might as well go for it. I realised the biggest issue if I did tackle them would be that once started, there would be no going back because of the nature of the beast - i.e. I wouldn't want to be removing them!

After considering a few ways to tackle them, I decided they would need to be made from the finest stock strip or rod I had. In the end I went for some 10 thou micro rod which would partly lose it's cylindrical profile after the liquid poly used to attach them had worked its magic, and I thought that would look just right.

The first challenge was how to make so many, to a consistent, if not exact length. The length chosen was 1.5mm. I would need 105 in all, and allowing for some failures decided to cut 120. My method was quite simple and basic. I cut off around 12 working strips of rod each to about 20mm in length, then laid them adjacent to each other on the sticky side of a post it note, which had 10 sections worth of treads marked out as shown below. I forgot to take a picture of the rods in place, but they all sat running left to right overlapping the left and right edges of the template.

20190810_160311

A very sharp razor blade was then used to chop through all 12 rods at a time, along each cut line, taking care not to let any slip. The glue on the post it note meant that none were lost to the carpet monster ..... yet.

Working samples shown here, ready to be fitted.

20190810_160245

Making a start required a deep breath, a very steady hand and a willing spirit to place each one as accurately as possible, by eye. The process for each tread was challenging as I really only like using my right hand to position things precisely:

1. Pick up tread with tip of scalpel lightly pressed in so as not to cut through but enough to pick up, using my right hand.

2. Lay scalpel gently down to enable right hand to apply glue.

3. Take brush of ultra thin cement and dab into position on bandstand base, using right hand.

4. Carefully put back into cement jar.

5. Pick up scalpel loaded with treat and VERY carefully place into position, holding for a few seconds and then letting go.

Repeat above 105 times!

at this stage in the proceedings, I remember thinking, this is not so bad........

20190810_160256

By the time I had got to this stage, I remember thinking, why on earth did I do this....

20190810_175651

But as you can imagine, when I got to this stage, I was feeling pretty damn pleased with myself!

20190811_211108 20190811_211254 20190811_211520

And then a quick test with the Oerlikon plinth in place, just to see if everything looked right:

20190811_211402

Once that stage was out of the way I could then attach the brass etch supports, using the set that gave the forward tilt to the whole platform:

20190813_094230 20190813_094259

I'm pretty happy with all that now, and a quick test fit onto the deck of the Vosper showed that it will sit pretty well, with its forward tilt, after a bit of fettling of the supports and the deck itself.

20190813_094359

I did a quick tally and I reckon that once the Oerlikon is fitted, and all of its detail parts, the whole affair (bandstand plus gun), will consist of over 150 individual parts!

Next step is to sort the above so that it fits firmly to the deck (on final assembly), then start to look at some of the other deck fitting such as vents and other minor deck details, also there is further work to be done on the bridge structure.

Terry

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

second time, well I could't let that go could I?

You don't have to listen to what I say as most of it is gibberish, obviously it was food for thought.

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

length chosen was 1.5mm. I would need 105 in all,

Mental, they would lock you up for less.

48526947532_4103ded691_b.jpg

...and look what you've achieved, absolutely bl**dy fantastic.

The thing is, I've most probably shot myself in the foot 'cos I've got MTB's with bandstands...

Stuart

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

..and look what you've achieved, absolutely bl**dy fantastic.

Thanks Stuart.

Your original comments did give me food for thought, and to be honest once you had mentioned them, every time I looked at the picture, they just had to be there, as it's not as if they weren't obvious on the real thing.

I'm fast learning that these boats (MGB's) can really lead to you being drawn into detail, especially in this scale. When you do build your MGB's and get to bandstands, checking prototype references as much as you can is so the right thing to do, as I have found although they may have been "standard" fit, there seem to be many variations in details with these bandstands. With hindsight I wished I had filled in that cut out (for this particular boat) and cast another couples after I'd put the extra treads on but before the brass went on because I am sure I will build another some time in the future.

And yes, I'm sure I am as mad as a hatter, but then that's scale modelling for you!

Terry

• Like 3

You have really nailed that!  No sign at all of the small inconsistencies in length that often betray an enterprise like this; great stuff, and well worth the effort, I’d say.

[As a matter of interest, did the glue mitigate the cylindrical cross-section, as you hoped? I ask because something not entirely dissimilar is one of my options for replacing Ark’s prominent weld seams...]

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, longshanks said:

A very nice touch  :clap2:

Thanks Kev. I'm learning from you!

On 8/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, robgizlu said:

Bravo, Fortisssimmo!!!

Terry - that is suffering for your art - Looks great

Thanks Rob. Same as I said to Kev, both Coastal Forces masters!

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You have really nailed that!  No sign at all of the small inconsistencies in length that often betray an enterprise like this; great stuff, and well worth the effort, I’d say.

Thanks Crisp. Yes, after the event I'd say it was worth the effort!

Re your question on the cylindrical profile and if the glue mitigates a bit - I can't tell for sure at the moment as it's difficult to assess with the plastic in it's raw state. I did give them all a light sand over with a very fine sanding stick to try and put some flats on as well. I should be able to see better under a coat of primer. I'll post something when that's done. It's certainly an idea for weld seams in 1/1350.

31 minutes ago, Ripaman said:

Lovely scratch work Terry nice touch :like:

Thanks Richard, glad you like.

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Gob smackingly good work there Terry, definitely book marking this against a future build of my one, probably laying in some CC etch too. :)

Thanks Steve. The Coastal Craft sets are definitely good, but I think for any future Vosper I do, I may try these from Great Little Ships. Although designed for the Flower Class ships, they could easily work on these MGB's .....

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GLSA72008

The bandstands look superb, and I notice that the supports have the round lightening holes in them, as per one of my references. I'm not suggesting CC's supports are wrong, as I think these boats had a variety of styles over time, just might be worth checking the others out. I'll be ordering a set certainly.

Thanks again all.

More progress after a short interlude on an old Heller AMX-13 I'm building over in the targetAFV section.

Terry

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You're having a laugh aren't you!?:police:

Well if I do the sums, that would make a weld seam of around 3.5 inches across. I reckon if you scribed into the target area, and set the micro rod in that with plenty of liquid poly, I reckon that would make a convincing weld seam, of something less than 3.5 inches full size. That said, I have no idea how wide weld seams are on warships!

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Well if I do the sums,

Unfortunately Terry, your sums are correct for 1/350 but stated 1/1350 which equates to a weld seam of 13.25 inches and that's a bl**dy big weld even a warship!:police:

Stuart

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Unfortunately Terry, your sums are correct for 1/350 but stated 1/1350 which equates to a weld seam of 13.25 inches and that's a bl**dy big weld even a warship!:police:

Oops. Finger trouble followed by eye trouble!!

That would indeed be a very big weld seam!

Terry

• Haha 2