French Tiger 2013 - The yellow Rafale

Second in my 'clearing the decks build log' (the first of which went back on the shelf) is this 1/48 Rafale in probably my favourite Rafale special scheme, which has been sitting on my shelf of doom for around a year.

It's the Hobbyboss kit along with Syhart decals. The kit itself is pretty decent though I did have minor trouble aligning the landing gear and refuelling probe, the former due to somewhat crude moulding and the latter because it's default position is a little off and needed some correction. The Syhart decals however were beautiful. Really thin and lay flat very easily but you have to be quick because they stick very quickly on a glossy surface. Aligning them all was a bit nervy! The top side artwork was made up of 12 decals but once that was completed it was pretty plain sailing, though I did manage to misalign one of the tail artworks parts ho hum.

I painted the model with Mr. Hobby Aqueous and lightly weathered it with an oil pinwash.

The experts will notice the Mica missiles are the incorrect versions - they should be IR's but I didn't have any.. Also, the airframe modifications needed to correctly portray this aircraft have not been done. I've never been one for absolute accuracy!

Anyway, the pictures - I hope you enjoy them. Note the canopy is not permanently attached :)

xFOaMO.jpg

xFO5r8.jpg

xFOjkm.jpg

xFOSQq.jpg

xFOcNd.jpg

xFOqoD.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 25

Love it, have to hand it to the French, they produce some stunning aircraft shape wise, they somhow just "look right". A bit like your finished Rafale

Edited by Lovely Pig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lovely Pig said:

Love it, have to hand it to the French, they produce some stunning aircraft shape wise, they somhow just "look right". A bit like your finished Rafale

Oh yes, agreed 100%, Mirages especially. Having said that, I think the  Rafale looks great from most angles but its side on profile looks a bit odd to me. I think it's the strangely shaped canopy. Cannot deny that it works performance-wise.. One of my favourite airshow performers!

Turned out great!

The Revell one would have been that tad better, but was not available then..... all newer boxings include the MICA IR seekers .... you might consider doing another one either way!!!

Syhart decals are fantastic, yes!! A bit quiet lately, but I hope for last year Rafale M white tiger scheme!!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Turned out great!

The Revell one would have been that tad better, but was not available then..... all newer boxings include the MICA IR seekers .... you might consider doing another one either way!!!

Syhart decals are fantastic, yes!! A bit quiet lately, but I hope for last year Rafale M white tiger scheme!!

I will be doing a few more now that Revell are releasing a C. Plenty of eye-catching liveries planned.

You're right about Syhart being a bit quiet lately - I keep checking for 2017's demo scheme but notjing yet unfortunately.. 

Thanks for the comment.