Hawker Siddeley Trident 1/144 1C to 1E conversion Northeast Airlines (UK) RESTORATION

Hawker Siddeley Trident 1/144 1C to 1E conversion Northeast Airlines (UK) RESTORATION

Kit: Airfix

Scale: 1/144

Decals: Classic Airlines (by Nick Webb)

Windows: Authentic Airliners

Work in progress thread can be found here 

bT7FhNu.jpg

HeUbSPU.jpg

KG2pLx5.jpg

wbjmUIq.jpg

ClDiIfC.jpg

AclLpsn.jpg

Av2WxQm.jpg

PeRNMtY.jpg

7k88ub0.jpg

nsA5Jz8.jpg

s9jfqFl.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Very good and neat , your work is so neat . Well done !

Forget about Sunderland …..

He played for Arsenal and scored the winner in the 1979 FA Cup Final .  Try looking for and supporting a whole team !  😊

• Like 1

A terrific looking Trident.  A beautifully applied paint finish.   It has 1970s written all over it in that scheme.  I have a bit of a 'thing' for British airlines and airliners from this period so this appeals very much to me.  It looks great in 'flight' and like others have said it's amazing how small the Trident looks when compared to other types.  Part of the aircraft's downfall I suppose.  I will read your WIP with interest as I have the same kit in the BEA red square livery but the white fuselage has turned a horrible yellow over time.  I am particularly interested in those window decals which look most convincing.

• Like 1

Really nice.

The Trident had such a strange shape to the cockpit windows that they really can only be replicated with a decal. The Airfix transparencies are worse than useless and are best used to just plug the hole.

• Like 1

Not sure how I managed to miss the WIP but I've caught up with it now and you've certainly done a lovely job.:clap2:

It's great to see such attention to detail, particularly the wing root fairings which many modellers overlook.  Just one small point - Tridents were notoriously filthy and yours is immaculate :D

Dave G

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 9:06 PM, Darby said:

Rather nice. Surprising how small it is compared to other machines. Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy a big cup of tea in one of these;😉

safc.jpg

controversial mate! many thanks, funny enough if you didn't know already there is a trident based at sunderland air museum in north east colours - G-ARPO i think, albeit just the fuselage and tail!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, Skodadriver said:

Not sure how I managed to miss the WIP but I've caught up with it now and you've certainly done a lovely job.:clap2:

It's great to see such attention to detail, particularly the wing root fairings which many modellers overlook.  Just one small point - Tridents were notoriously filthy and yours is immaculate :D

Dave G

thanks dave, your absolutely right! unfortunately one thing i haven't mastered yet is weathering so its always a factory fresh look. maybe 10 years on the shelf will bring some realism!

On 8/24/2018 at 10:29 AM, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific looking Trident.  A beautifully applied paint finish.   It has 1970s written all over it in that scheme.  I have a bit of a 'thing' for British airlines and airliners from this period so this appeals very much to me.  It looks great in 'flight' and like others have said it's amazing how small the Trident looks when compared to other types.  Part of the aircraft's downfall I suppose.  I will read your WIP with interest as I have the same kit in the BEA red square livery but the white fuselage has turned a horrible yellow over time.  I am particularly interested in those window decals which look most convincing.

thanks for your kind comments. I picked up a copy of aeroplane monthly recently and found a great picture from farnborough airshow in the late 60s I think. It had (in the same shot) a trident, VC10, bac1-11 and even a Short Belfast. I'm sure at least one of the airliners was in the BEA colours. It got me thinking about doing a future project or maybe a diorama replicating the same picture as surely it was a proud time for british avaition.

the model looks miniscule compared to everything else I've got, even a 737 I've got seems to dwarf it especially in terms of fuselage diameter. I'm sure their was a version of the trident with 7-abreast seating in the front section of the cabin....its hard to imagine 6-abreast seating

according to wikipedia the 737s fuselage diameter was 148 inches (over 12 feet) and the trident 135 inches (over 11 feet). it doesn't seem like much but maybe its because i sanded the hell out of the fuselage!

I believe the trident was unable to compete with the 727? and/or was thought to be underpowered???

it would be nice to see your BEA model. the 3d windows are from authentic airliners and are universal and are not specifically for the trident. 

Phil

On 8/24/2018 at 11:48 AM, Silver Fox said:

So many memories came flooding back after seeing this. I did my first big plane spotting trip up to Newcastle airport from Leeds just to see one of these.

Thanks for posting and what a great model.

the great days of the rooftop terrace! as a kid the 747 wardair was the highlight. shame that the airport closed it and seems to have barricaded all the windows with food outlets. strange. 

1 hour ago, phil1 said:

controversial mate! many thanks, funny enough if you didn't know already there is a trident based at sunderland air museum in north east colours - G-ARPO i think, albeit just the fuselage and tail!

I haven't been up that way for over 30yrs. If I remember rightly wasn't there a Vulcan as well? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phil1 said:

thanks for your kind comments. I picked up a copy of aeroplane monthly recently and found a great picture from farnborough airshow in the late 60s I think. It had (in the same shot) a trident, VC10, bac1-11 and even a Short Belfast. I'm sure at least one of the airliners was in the BEA colours. It got me thinking about doing a future project or maybe a diorama replicating the same picture as surely it was a proud time for british avaition.

the model looks miniscule compared to everything else I've got, even a 737 I've got seems to dwarf it especially in terms of fuselage diameter. I'm sure their was a version of the trident with 7-abreast seating in the front section of the cabin....its hard to imagine 6-abreast seating

according to wikipedia the 737s fuselage diameter was 148 inches (over 12 feet) and the trident 135 inches (over 11 feet). it doesn't seem like much but maybe its because i sanded the hell out of the fuselage!

I believe the trident was unable to compete with the 727? and/or was thought to be underpowered???

it would be nice to see your BEA model. the 3d windows are from authentic airliners and are universal and are not specifically for the trident. 

Phil

Sounds like a great idea.  I saw that picture too.  We don't have much to show at Farnborough these days, sadly.  All 'systems' and Airbus wings.  I need to dig my Trident out as I think I'm going to restore it due to the white discolouration.  I have BEA's later Speedjack decals in the stash so it will sit nicely with my Vanguard in the same scheme. 

• Like 1