Hawker Hurricane

Beard

I've been heavily involved in Group Builds lately bit as my last two builds in the Mediterranean GB are approaching the finish line, I thought I'd join this one because, like a lot of us older gentlemen, my first kits were Airfix ones bought at Woolworths. Also, @Ventora3300

suggested I might like to join.

Anyway, a dig through the stash revealed a suitable candidate.

20180822_173704

I think this is the second boxing of the 1978 kit (the first had 'new' in the bottom right-hand corner).

Here's what's in the box:

20180822_173732

It's lacking detail in the wheelwells and cockpit (i.e. there isn't any) but I'm lead to believe that it's generally accurate.

I'll be building it OOB, except where my limited skills allow me.to add some details.

One thing that will be required is aftermarket transfers... the kit ones don't look to good:

20180822_173743

Luckily, I have this Hannants sheet:

20180822_173714

Which has the kit's aircraft on it.

I have to finish 3 Spitfires, a Hurricane IIc and a Blenheim before starting this one so there'll not be any cutting and painting of plastic until this coming Monday.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I wish people would stop putting temptation in my path.....🤣 (another one I fancy for the future).

Looks like the original kit was from 1957?  Must say it doesn't look too shabby considering it's a lot older than me (and I most certainly do look shabby ;) ).....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Good man, Beard. You are very welcome and in good company here. Hope you enjoy your build as much as we all shall! Cheers and thanks. Mike.

Thank you for inviting me.

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, a Hurri! I'll follow along if I may :) 

Of course.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I wish people would stop putting temptation in my path.....🤣 (another one I fancy for the future).

Looks like the original kit was from 1957?  Must say it doesn't look too shabby considering it's a lot older than me (and I most certainly do look shabby ;) ).....

The 1957 one was, I believe, the MkII/ IV which had rockets, bombs and, 40mm guns. This one was a completely new tooling, I don't think it has anything in common with the 1957 one.

• Like 3

A sprue shot before I start cutting, gluing and painting:

20180828_202709

I guess this means it's okay for this Group Build:

20180828_202746

I've since started cutting, gluing and painting so more photographs will follow.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Some painting has been done.

2018-08-29_03-54-47

The aluminium parts were given a base coat of Humbrol 33 then painted with Tamiya Flat Aluminium, the Interior Grey-green is Colourcoats.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

The airframe is complete. I decided to tart the otherwise empty cockpit with some tape seatbelts and a control column from an Airfix Spitfire.

2018-08-29_08-05-56

It's since had a first coat of Humbrol Dark Earth.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Just rockets! FJ-C was one of my first models.

Rockets and big guns for me.

7 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Your camouflage looks great. Looking  forward to seeing some decals.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

21 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Good work so far. Just adding a few details really makes a difference.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor.

Started putting a gloss coat on, prior to the transfers, and masked off the exhausts ready for an undercoat of Humbrol 33.

2018-09-04_08-36-42

I'll get most of the transfers on tomorrow, finish the exhajust and get the canopy (which has had a dip in Future) installed.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

this is shaping up extremely well. Interesting to notice that a 1978 Hurricane kit has a doghouse at the back of the cockpit, when a far more recent Revell kit lacks the blasted thing altogether!

A lot to be said for these old kits!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jean said:

Interesting to notice that a 1978 Hurricane kit has a doghouse at the back of the cockpit, when a far more recent Revell kit lacks the blasted thing altogether!

A lot to be said for these old kits!

Also, I believe that the wing chord is correct on this kit.

• Like 1

Good observation gents. I'm starting to think that although quite a few of these kits lack the fine detail that we are now used to, the overall shape accuracy is probably better then some later toolings. Now I know that we've been blessed with some absolute howlers (read 1968 Fairey Battle) however if the story of this mould is true then Airfix were handed the wrong plans up front and proceeded from there.

This Hurricane is looking really good @Beard and I just might dig out my later edition of this kit that I bought my daughter a few years back to see how she'd go with modelling. The little one is now 12 and has certainly acquired the artistic talents of her father, unlike my poor 17 year old son who unfortunately inherited Mums two left hands!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I just might dig out my later edition of this kit that I bought my daughter a few years back to see how she'd go with modelling.

I'd keep it for myself and jazz it up with the cockpit, wheelwells and undercarriage from the current Airfix rag-wing - I have some bits from a scrapped rag-wing and they will fit.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 1