North American Mustang IV - RAF 112 Squadron, Italy 1945 #FINISHED# ~

This is my starter kit purchase from our generous sponsor and the plan is to build it as the in box scheme. The parts have been washed and left to dry in preparation for starting over the weekend. Here are the photos of the box and sprues..

44220266401_7779a637d2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42412480210_b825671f8c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43314909885_8b16b76457_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44220265241_efd544b07e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a push on this build today and have almost finished the cockpit painting. The plan is to build this out of the box, so I have used the decal provided for the instrument panel and even though I have a Quickboost replacement, I have used the kit seat and will add some belts to improve the look once I have finished painting the seat back.

29683300777_9b30f12cf7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29683300367_e900462c8e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29683300037_f3e450d747_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have also opened up the spent cartridge chutes on the underside of the wings.  

29683301737_b0e8549bb6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll glue the fuselage halves up later then leave it overnight before tidying the joins and adding the wings tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I am going to be hard pressed to get my builds finished on time but I will keep plodding on and see how far I get. In the end it may come down to making a choice of completing one of them. This one has had the camouflage applied and I am now working my way through the small details before I clear coat and start adding decals.

43032225770_2f0309dea6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

After a mammoth decaling session yesterday and some further work adding the details this morning this was how things stood around lunchtime.

43955809645_0a4656611e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43955808025_e0dbf1a643_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29929845327_0f7c254bb5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

It was about this time that I decided there would be little chance of me completing both models, so I decided to focus my efforts on finishing this one. Work continued throughout the afternoon and I finished it a short while ago.

29929842457_d6d6fbba54_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43955799295_4f765eecf7_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll sort out the gallery photos in a little while.

• Like 6

Good job, a nice finish and Mr Spaniel didn't chew on any of it prior to the gallery shot. Just  a thought if you have access to some image editing software try and up the contrast- easiest way if you use Photoshop or gimp is to select what is  obviously the white background and set that as the "highlight". Alternately its a fine and accurate representation of an overcast English winter...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Good job, a nice finish and Mr Spaniel didn't chew on any of it prior to the gallery shot. Just  a thought if you have access to some image editing software try and up the contrast- easiest way if you use Photoshop or gimp is to select what is  obviously the white background and set that as the "highlight". Alternately its a fine and accurate representation of an overcast English winter...

Cheers

Anil

Thanks Anil, and no Molly didn't chew any bits - though at 15 months she does have a habit of sniffing and nosing things, on this occasion she left things alone. Thanks also for the editing tips, the dark look to the photos is not helped by the blue tint of the self cleaning glass on the conservatory roof and the time of day that I took the photos, you're right they do look wintry.

Cheers

John

Hey John, I took the liberty of illustrating my thoughts, here's a before and after: The after is a simple level change in Photoshop, a quick colour re -balance to get rid of the blue tint and slight sharpening pass, about 30 seconds...

29929840247_34fce41dd2_b.jpg

44152959984_753bcefb43_b.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, azureglo said:

Hey John, I took the liberty of illustrating my thoughts, here's a before and after: The after is a simple level change in Photoshop, a quick colour re -balance to get rid of the blue tint and slight sharpening pass, about 30 seconds...

I don't mind at all Anil, that illustrates the difference that editing would make perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I should really have made some adjustments to balance on the camera before I took the photos but forgot to do it this time. 

• Like 1