Supermarine SPITFIRE / SEAFIRE / SPITEFUL / SEAFANG STGB Chat

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Count me in I have a 1\32 mkIIa in the stash just need an excuse to build it.

Good morning peterairfix

Welcome aboard and see you in a few weeks for the sgart of this GB ..

Patrice

On 2/19/2020 at 3:20 PM, Doccur said:

Hi Patrice,

I would like to join please. I have a tasty looking 1/48 Special Hobby Seafire Mk.II that is sitting in the stash. 
1705_rd.jpg

Cheers

Ash

I quite like the SH Seafire kit, good luck with this one.

To date I have built two and I am doing a MkIII for this GB and another for the end of the war GB later in the year..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I quite like the SH Seafire kit, good luck with this one.

To date I have built two and I am doing a MkIII for this GB and another for the end of the war GB later in the year..

It’s a good kit then? You never know what your going to get with special hobby I find... anything I should be wary of? 

10 hours ago, Doccur said:

It’s a good kit then? You never know what your going to get with special hobby I find... anything I should be wary of? 

I think the fuselage is about 2mm short but I don’t think it notices @Troy Smith is the expert on this. 

You will need yo make up some tabs to align the fuselage.  Don’t rely on the pins on the fuselage, and have plenty of filler available.  Apart from that, as far as I remember it’s enjoyable to build..  

You can go for a highly paint peeled Mk II...

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

You can go for a highly paint peeled Mk II...

I like the sound of that! Will need to find some reference photos. 

Ash

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

This is a PR Mk.XI.   I don't now of any kit but is a reasonable conversion from a Mk.IX kit particularly as it appears to be unpressurised.  You will need a PR canopy with side blisters and a retractable tailwheel.

Side blisters on a PR.XI, are you sure about that Graham? Certainly the unarmoured curved windscreen but felt sure the sliding hood was standard.

There is a conversion kit in 32nd scale by Alley Cat Models for the Tamiya Mk.VIII or IX @Erwin and one by Quickboost in 48th scale for the Hasegawa kit but don't think that included a new windscreen.

• Like 1

Did someone mention Spitfire Mk. XI? I plan to convert my Mk. X kit to one. If I fail I won't lose a lot financially (see the price tag from an air show vendor in June 2019!)

2020-03-07_08-50-52

The decal set cost me double the kit price (p&p included, of course). I'll replace the windshield with an unarmoured one and that'll do it for me. V-P

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Side blisters on a PR.XI, are you sure about that Graham? Certainly the unarmoured curved windscreen but felt sure the sliding hood was standard.

There is a conversion kit in 32nd scale by Alley Cat Models for the Tamiya Mk.VIII or IX @Erwin

I thought I saw it in the picture, but I had my right lens replaced yesterday (2nd cataract op) so clearly wasn't seeing straight.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 23:24, Grey Beema said:

Thankyou! 

I really fancy doing the aircraft on the box top MB218, HMS Unicorn. Can’t find any reference photos however! 

Ash

On 3/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Graham Boak said:

This is a PR Mk.XI.   I don't now of any kit 

There's a rough & very limited run Ventura PR.XI in 1/72.

Good morning peterairfix

Yes the 25% rules applies I think you should wait until the start of this GB to continue your build and open a thread to ppost photos of your work ..

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Hi Patrice,

As long as nobody buys it before April 11th I'd like to join in with this:

tn_IMG_20200119_110946

I put it up for sale as I thought I'd never build it but since nobody wants it, I'll build it to spite them :lol:

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's a shame(well not really) that the Spitfire,Stuka and He111 GB's have all arrived in the same year of the BoB 80th GB as they were three of the main

combatant's but I'm sure they will all be well represented in all four GB's.I've ordered an Airfix 1/72 Vb and Mk1 seventies toolings to continue my oldies

themed builds I fancy re-scribing the panel lines to see what can be done with them.

• Like 7

Just gathering weapons and ammo in preparation for this one...ordered Humbrol dark green rattle can and Tamiya AS-9 RAF dark green rattle can for a trial along with Tamiya XF 64 flat red brown and XF 71 flat cockpit green for my builds.

My two spits have arrived for this too and here is a wee refresher build I started....

49691181026_0f87f0343a_b.jpg

• Like 2