Supermarine SPITFIRE / SEAFIRE / SPITEFUL / SEAFANG STGB Chat

Thanks Patrice and of course Enzo,

That will take some of the pressure off and let my wife finish decorating my study/workroom, which has been slowing me down somewhat!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Another week is excellent as it'll help me finish my final Seafire. Here's my tally so far. 

resized_54fc0775-0103-4913-8195-1789e55e

Seafire F46 finished, MkIb finished, MkIII finished, Spitfire MkVb just about done, MkXVII almost done and F45 airframe completed and painting started. 

And here they are in chronological order of service entry. 

resized_4433192a-48dc-4bcc-8cea-39083095

• Like 6

On 03/07/2020 at 15:44, PeterB said:

Anybody happen to know if all FR XIV were low back with bubble canopy as that seems to be the case with all the pics I have found so far. I was thinking of doing a 430 Squadron (City of Sudbury) machine and I know they swopped the Mustang Mk I for XIV in November 1944, and given their "job description" it seems that the source that says they had FR is likely to be correct. Also, in one of Robertson's books I read that the RCAF dropped the use of Squadron code letters at around the end of 1943 I think, but 430 was technically RAF, so would they have carried the G9 code in 44/45 - again there is a shortage of pics.

And finally, were all XIVe machines fitted with clipped wings? The planes I am looking at all seem to have RM800-900 serials.

Pete

Good evening Pete

I think that You might be interested by this photo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_(Griffon-powered_variants)#/media/File:Spitfire_F.R_MK_XIV.jpg

And this link

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RAF_owned_RD100.html

Best Regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 825 said:

Another week is excellent as it'll help me finish my final Seafire. Here's my tally so far. 

resized_54fc0775-0103-4913-8195-1789e55e

Seafire F46 finished, MkIb finished, MkIII finished, Spitfire MkVb just about done, MkXVII almost done and F45 airframe completed and painting started. 

And here they are in chronological order of service entry. 

resized_4433192a-48dc-4bcc-8cea-39083095

An extra week, another 6 and you have your squadron. 😉

• Like 2

Thanks Patrice,

According to Shacklady and Morgan the RM series were not FR XIV but about 2/3 were XIVe, the rest plain XIV. However it does seem that they were in many cases converted to FR spec, whilst retaining the high back. Very useful!

Pete

13 hours ago, Beazer said:

Do we have all day Sunday to finish our model up or does it end at midnight on the Saturday, coming down to the wire here.

Good evening Beazer

The Gallery ''Topic will be automatically locked July 20, 2020 at 00:59''

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070462-spitfire-stgb-gallery/#comments

I really hope that you and all the participants of this Gb will have enough time tp finish their build ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Beazer

The Gallery ''Topic will be automatically locked July 20, 2020 at 00:59''

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070462-spitfire-stgb-gallery/#comments

I really hope that you and all the participants of this Gb will have enough time tp finish their build ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Thank you very muchly.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hello
I am pleased to announce that Enzo has decided to extend this GB by one week and to postpone the end date to July 19 , many thanks for allowing all those who still have builds in progress to finish them and post them in the gallery ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Been gone all weekend and figured their is no way I was going to paint and weather by the 12th.  Now I may have a chance if I can get some motivation! :thumbsup:

Oh good :) That means no rush-job on the last one. 

I will however withdraw this one, and finish that in the regular WIP.

Should I contact one of the mods for that?

So is it bad that, other than the initial post of what I am doing for the group build, I haven't posted any updates?  I did take some interior pics but never was totally happy with them so I deleted them.  Guess I could cover only the painting process as I just started that.

22 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

So is it bad that, other than the initial post of what I am doing for the group build, I haven't posted any updates?  I did take some interior pics but never was totally happy with them so I deleted them.  Guess I could cover only the painting process as I just started that.

Post them anyway. The BM community is wonderfully supportive. We're all learning. A Spitfire GB on Britmodeller is  daunting for us all however the level of enthusiasm for all builds is phenomenal. 

30 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Post them anyway. The BM community is wonderfully supportive. We're all learning. A Spitfire GB on Britmodeller is  daunting for us all however the level of enthusiasm for all builds is phenomenal. 

I should of been more specific.........never totally happy with them photographically speaking. 

In the process of painting the fuselage.  I'll take some pics here soon before decals go on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my four are in the gallery - on the very last day of the GB as per usual! :lol: 

Many thanks to the hosts for yet another thoroughly enjoyable GB. 

Oh...   and this GB had a refugee from the Shelf Of Shame, who came along for the ride.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Good morning

I would like to thank and congratulate all the participants ..This was a wonderful GB and I hope to see you very soon for the next Spitfire / Seafire STGB ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 7

9 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Thanks hosts

Yes, thank you hosts for your enthusiasm and support. Must of been a big job with so many builds coming together. I was able to complete and post 3 and enjoyed every minute.

Now, trying to have  a Spitfire break.  Not for long, Eduard 1/48 Mk I dual combo on order. Hopefully sneak in in time for the BoB GB.

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Eduard 1/48 Mk I dual combo on order. Hopefully sneak in in time for the BoB GB

Me too.

I suspect that if they get on with distributing these there could be quite a few!

• Like 2

Me too... Only a couple of weeks or so and it should be here assuming everything goes to plan with distribution. It should be something special... I saw they were doing a Merlin for it too... Now THAT could be interesting...

And thank you from me, too.

I have only just joined Britmodeller and this group build was so enjoyable.  I 'met' a whole host of really helpful and supportive modellers and any improvement I have made over the course of the last couple of months was purely down to the support, encouragement and help I received from so many here on this group build... it was a fabulous welcome to the world of Britmodeller... I cant thank you all enough.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 5

Thanks Patrice and Enzo. Thoroughly enjoyed this build. Really love Spitfires and Seafires. 

resized_39928ee8-80a3-4ddf-afdc-d5a1a7aa

From right to left Seafire MkIb, Seafire LIII, Spitfire MkV, Seafire MkXVII, Seafire F45 and Seafire FR46. Just as well we ran out of time. Thanks again guys. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, 825 said:

From right to left Seafire MkIb, Seafire LIII, Spitfire MkV, Seafire MkXVII, Seafire F45 and Seafire FR46.

Bravo!!!

17 hours ago, 825 said:

From right to left Seafire MkIb, Seafire LIII, Spitfire MkV, Seafire MkXVII, Seafire F45 and Seafire FR46. Just as well we ran out of time. Thanks again guys

Great line up! There’s a nice variation in Seafire schemes it seems.