Supermarine SPITFIRE / SEAFIRE / SPITEFUL / SEAFANG STGB Chat

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Ha, I don’t have a problem...

Yes, direct from Eduard, they had a 20% off VE Day promo and it’s certainly a bit cheaper getting overtrees along with the discount. Just to make the most of decals from special or multi combo options. 

Thanks - I’ll have to take a look on the Eduard site and pick some up next time there’s a sale 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hello friends of the Spitfire/Seafire/Spiteful/Seafang wherevere you are in the world

We are almost in the middle of this GB and I want to tell you that I am really very happy with the success of this GB there are already in the Gallery a lot of superb builds Well done !!

There are still 7 weeks before July 12th and the end of this Gb which leaves a lot of time for those who have already started building a kit to finish it (even if your motivation has decreased a little ..)  and for those who wish to take part in this Gb to join us and have fun with us ..

I hope everyone is well in this difficult period of pandemic ..

Be careful and take care of yourself and your loved ones ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

It’s a great GB @TEMPESTMK5 Patrice!!! Thank you for hosting! Halfway through plenty of variety and seems a few have been hooked on the type now with multiple builds 

@Valkyrie thank you very much for your comment

Thank you to all the current and future participants ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Just had a knock at the door...thankfully Mrs Valkyrie was baking in the kitchen and is none the wiser! I think I am an Eduard spitfire 

49925894691_708ffe14cf_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Steve 1602 said:

I predict more Spitfires in my near future!

Steve, Looking at that sheet, do you intend to build another 11 or over 40? Ray

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Steve, Looking at that sheet, do you intend to build another 11 or over 40? Ray

Haha 😆 Ray, that would be quite the project!

I was thinking of a pair of Vb’s as I have two Airfix kits upstairs. However, I don’t want anything in the day fighter scheme having just built the Mk XVIs

Possibly George Beurling and T-L (apparently not a grey/ blue Malta aircraft)

28F66DF7-3CC1-4C7E-8044-1E47224B2909

Plus Eric Lock and FY-E

193B3A71-A3F5-477D-AAD6-DFABDA98857B

There are a lot of choices amongst the Vb though...!

6ECEA4DC-0584-46CD-A6EC-7CF94B7C526F

Also noticed that Caldwell’s Vc is on the sheet - are you already sorted for decals on your build?

Steve

Edited by Steve 1602
  • Like 1

Ok @Steve 1602 I might taken a look....got a feeling it’s gonna result in a knock at the door In 4-5 days 

Oh dear...I do fancy a desert spitfire....Luftwaffe Afrika is my main interest...oh naw 

Just now, Valkyrie said:

Ok @Steve 1602 I might taken a look....got a feeling it’s gonna result in a knock at the door In 4-5 days 

Oh dear...I do fancy a desert spitfire....Luftwaffe Afrika is my main interest...oh naw 

I’m not going to use up all of those schemes, so if there’s something  that takes your fancy, let me know 👍🏻

(I’ve used the Neville Duke Vb and Caldwell VIII already and have plans for a few others but most of the rest are fair game)

• Thanks 1

My first pick has to be Middle Stone, Dark Earth, Azure Blue EP 706.  Second pick, totally unique, black beast JU-H. A good test getting the Night right also not going overboard with the weathering (but a must) and this one has its original colour scheme just showing through - a challenging finish to capture just right! 

Ray

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

My first pick has to be Middle Stone, Dark Earth, Azure Blue EP 706.  Second pick, totally unique, black beast JU-H. A good test getting the Night right also not going overboard with the weathering (but a must) and this one has its original colour scheme just showing through - a challenging finish to capture just right! 

Ray

@Ray_W completely agree with you about  the challenge with JU-H. That would be quite challenging to pull off - it looks really patchy in the photo I have seen.

Steve

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Theres a couple of R.S.Tuck builds on that sheet. Those would be my first choices. 

Yes indeed there are - I have my eye on GR-P as an option for a Tamiya Mk1 at some stage

Steve

• Like 1

Apologies for the lack of progress lately, we've been swamped with stuff at work and it's been a real mojo killer. 

Don't think that the Vc is going to make it, but the four seasons trick is my main focus. 

Hi Folks,

Do we have any Spitfire experts that can help me with the size of underwing serial numbers (or codes) on a 1955 Mk.24 with the HKAAF?

I thought that they were 16" but the ones that came with the CMR kit are much smaller, about 13".

I think this is wrong. The references I have all specify 16" and the photo of VN314/W2-W being loaded onto a lighter at Hong Kong in 1949 shows 16" s/n.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

You know when you've made too many Spitfires when you see the STEAM logo and all you see is a Spitfire radiator flap linkage.

Steam Logo

Ray

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

You know when you've made too many Spitfires when you see the STEAM logo and all you see is a Spitfire radiator flap linkage.

Ray

🤣

You are right!

Thats something I will never be able to 'unsee'...

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Haha 1

Here's what arrived in the post today. 

resized_f29b8fe5-a61a-48b9-ac9f-408a4b74

So now no excuses for not finishing my Seafires. 

13 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Experts, I have the 1/72 eduard XVI dual combo set, had a look at instructions and the sprues are different in the IXc weekend kit, Can I still do a mk IXc using the XVI lowback parts? 

If it’s broadly the same as the 1/48 dual combo, it only has sprues for the e wing rather than the c wing. You could make a IXe however.