Supermarine SPITFIRE / SEAFIRE / SPITEFUL / SEAFANG STGB Chat

10 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

@TEMPESTMK5

Hi Patrice,

I was not one of the original signatories for this group build, and wondered if it was OK for me to jump in at this late stage? I have a couple of 1/72 kits a Mk. IX and a Mk.22, and I am sure that somewhere I have two 1/48 kits, but the search for those goes on. As a starter I think that the Mk. IX would be my first choice and the kit decals include a Dijon based aircraft, but don't let that influence your decision in any way. :winkgrin:

Cheers

Good morning John

Of course you can join in the more the merrier ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I would like to remember  the Walkaround section of the forum

Patrice

Good morning Patrice. May I suggest it'd be worth posting this link in the reference section as well?

• Like 2

I think I'm gonna join this one seeing I'm in lockdown, I have an Airfix 1/48 Mk Vb I'll be entering. Will be finishing as a Malta spit but I think I'm gonna buy some aftermarket decals instead of the OOB ones.

• Like 5

Got a question for all you Spitfire Junkies.  Basically since hours have be cut in half with this whole Covid ordeal, I am going to skip getting a new kit and build something I have here already.  So I have this kit......

246701-12740-24-pristine.jpg

Since it was the standard Vb prior to adding parts, it looks like I can do a Vb if I wanted, which I have a few decals for.

Can I get to a Vc from this kit without to much hassle?  I have this sheet I'd like to #3 on, but it's a Vc.

Oddspits.jpg

Thanks in advance!  Happy Modeling!

• Like 1

Quick question re late-mark Spits - what position would the trailing edge split flaps be in on the ground, unpowered? Do they fall down or were they mechanically stowed on shutdown?

cheers, Alan

2 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Can I get to a Vc from this kit without to much hassle?  I have this sheet I'd like to #3 on, but it's a Vc.

Sadly, no.  The wing armament was quite different on the Vc.  You would need to remove the gun bulges from the Vb upper wing and replace them with the Vc style ones, plus some scribing to represent the different panels.  An alternative is to graft a complete c-type wing on from the old Hasegawa IXc.  You would also need to modify the undercarriage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I have this sheet I'd like to #3 on, but it's a Vc.

There were Yugoslav partisan Vb's as well though.

see here

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/decals/balkanbm7210reviewmd_1.htm

the first two on the sheet are Vb's, ES257 /X  maybe do able if you can make an X, find the serial and paint the slogan.   Despite the caption, it is a Vb

83ff180190347b8a5ccfb1fa704975f7.jpg&key

see also

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009325-172nd-kp-spitfire-mkvb-es257-352-yugoslav-sqn-canne-italy-1945/

42 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Quick question re late-mark Spits - what position would the trailing edge split flaps be in on the ground, unpowered? Do they fall down or were they mechanically stowed on shutdown?

They are mechanical.  Stowed up.  Raising flaps part of shut down procedure,  you got 'fined' a round of drinks i the mess if you forgot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Stowed up.  Raising flaps part of shut down procedure

And for a very good reason, if you look at the flap position and the radiator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

They are mechanical.  Stowed up.  Raising flaps part of shut down procedure,  you got 'fined' a round of drinks i the mess if you forgot.

Thank you Troy! And I thoroughly agree, unless the aircraft does it naturally, leaving the flaps down after shutdown is slovenly 😇

• Haha 1

@TEMPESTMK5

Hi Patrice, would it be possible to join this group build? I have not entered one before, but would be keen to join.

I’d like to enter the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire XVI. This is a dual combo kit, so has the high back and low back XVI. If possible I’d like to build both in parallel. 

Thanks

Steve

• Like 3

Hypothetical question to the hosts, if I should suddenly find myself with enough spare time to enter this GB, I have a Spiteful, are WHIF's allowed?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

@TEMPESTMK5

Hi Patrice, would it be possible to join this group build? I have not entered one before, but would be keen to join.

I’d like to enter the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire XVI. This is a dual combo kit, so has the high back and low back XVI. If possible I’d like to build both in parallel. 

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

Of course you can join in but if you want to build both the Spit XVI High Back and Low Back please open 1 thread per build ...I plan to build at least 2 Eduard kits one IX and one mk XVI and will make 2 treads 

Have fun

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Steve

Of course you can join in but if you want to build both the Spit XVI High Back and Low Back please open 1 thread per build ...I plan to build at least 2 Eduard kits one IX and one mk XVI and will make 2 treads 

Have fun

All the best

Patrice

Thanks Patrice! Will do

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Hypothetical question to the hosts, if I should suddenly find myself with enough spare time to enter this GB, I have a Spiteful, are WHIF's allowed?

Good afternoon Wez

After having done some quick research on the Spiteful and Seafang and discovered that they had not really had an operational career I think we can accept the Whif's ...

I hope you will find enough time to take part in this Gb and build the Spiteful you would plan to buil ...

All the best

Patrice

15 hours ago, John Masters said:

How in the world did I miss this GB?  Or did I?  Did I sign up?  If not...count me in!

Hi John

Welcome aboard

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Wez

After having done some quick research on the Spiteful and Seafang and discovered that they had not really had an operational career I think we can accept the Whif's ...

I hope you will find enough time to take part in this Gb and build the Spiteful you would plan to buil ...

All the best

Patrice

Thanks Patrice, we'll see how things pan out.

1 minute ago, John Masters said:

Let's hope Wez can join us and build the Israeli Spiteful...

John, if anything it'll be for a RAuxAF Sqn that didn't exist...

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

Time permitting I would like to join with the Xtrakit/MPM Spitfire Mk 22 and the Special Hobby Seafire FR 47. Over the years I have built about 20 Spitfires (1 Revell, 5 Frog and the rest Airfix, including a number of conversions including a PR C, PR XI ,a Mk VI, a pink FR IX, a Mk XII and a Seafire Mk IIc but for some reason I never built the original Aifix "Blue Spitfire", though I did buy one and give it to a friend as a birthday pressie. If I get these done then I will only have 5 left in my stash and the Mk XVI should go in the Heller classic GB later this year. That will leave just 2 Airfix "recent mould" Mk IX, one Italeri Mk VII and another Mk IX, but given the reported problems with the Italeri wing I thing there may be some swapping of parts taking place!

I will post the entries as and when.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, PeterB said:

the Mk XVI should go in the Heller classic GB later this year.

Good choice for a great GB - details here if you haven't already signed up (sorry Patrice)! :whistle:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Is this the squadron from the Air Ace Picture Library?

Not to my knowledge, this one only exists in my head.