Zero tolerance!

stevej60

Hi folk's here's my marker for the GB,walked into the shop straight to the Airfix shelf no BF109 so grabbed this one before the endless deliberation

of choosing what to do,nice kit,no vices and a simple scheme,going to have to go with last year's option of Sunday and Monday morning as work

at 2 PM on Sunday and visiting family after lunch Monday.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235025882-achtung-spitfire-now-operational/& Last yer'sbuild.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

On 23/08/2018 at 18:09, dogsbody said:

I just got one of those Monday, in my latest Hannants order. I'll be watching your build for pointers.

Chris

Well I've trawled Google for info Chris but as usual there are argument's galore over colour's etc but the concencus seems to be overall IJN Gray

with midnight blue(almost black) cowling,Interior green cockpit and metalic blue wheel well interior/inner door's so right or wrong that's what I

plantofollow.

I’ll probably just use the Tamiya IJN paints that I have in stock and call it done. That’s if I ever finish my dangled Hurricane. Right now, I’m 450km. south of Home, in Edmonton. Tomorrow, we drive an hour north, for my wife’s cousin’s 80th birthday. We’ll spend the night at the Mum-in-law’s, then drive home Sunday.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Nice choice. Canopy looks a pest and why I avoid the Japanese ones or I’d have built a few. I have no doubt you will make it look super easy and bang out another perfect kit, so il be tagging along

Good luck 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2018 at 07:58, Valkyrie said:

Nice choice. Canopy looks a pest and why I avoid the Japanese ones or I’d have built a few. I have no doubt you will make it look super easy and bang out another perfect kit, so il be tagging along

Good luck 

Thank's V, now I've laid out the part's a bit of worry has crept in she's a lot more complicated than last year;s choice and yes that canopy

will take longer than most of the construction if I could do the build at my leasure over the Sunday and Monday I'd be happier but I really

am restricted to  both morning's only.Anyway here's the basic's.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

I sometimes find it easier to mask that type of canopy by doing all of the forward-aft frames, painting them, letting them dry, then repeating with the spanwise ones.  Then it's just straight strips of tape where the size doesn't matter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beggsy said:

I sometimes find it easier to mask that type of canopy by doing all of the forward-aft frames, painting them, letting them dry, then repeating with the spanwise ones.  Then it's just straight strips of tape where the size doesn't matter.

To be honest Beggsy I hand paint my canopies then being an acylic user clean them up with a cocktail stick and warm water which is fine

for these modern kit;s but you can imagine why my  Airfix Stirling is stuck at the canopy painting stage with no molded lines to work with!

• Like 1

I hate canopies, really try to avoid but the beauty of the blitz build is you can only put it off for so long....I don’t think I’d like to attempt that without a mask, might use your technique with the cocktail stick again

• Like 1

Morning folk's,best laid plan's failed me due to half a bottle of Shiraz and of all thing's a Bollywood movie late last night! Anyway chucked

cold water in my face and headed to the loft for around 9:15,tipped the box contents out and set myself a two hour deadline.

Assembly is straight forward and while part's were drying paint was slapped on wheel's U/C Prop etc,dry brushed interior and did a few

details with a cocktail stick for dial's switches etc and added tape belt's.

Within about an hour I was here.

And at the two hour mark after cleaning up the seam's she's ready for paint so two hour's gone might get her painted after work

tonight so tommorrow I have a good start for the last session.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Two Hours! That's farther than I've gotten with my Hurricane since the end of January!

I told you folks that my speed is glacial.

Chris

But you don't see the ones that have dragged on for month's Chris or even a couple of year's!

• Haha 1

Right folk's a bit of an early start 6:15 and two coat's of my take onIJN gray.

29359590567_9478d7b77c_b.jpg

Mixed a met blue for the wheel well's etc.

30428260488_ed3f6bda4c_b.jpg

And here's where I am just before eight canopy has had two coat's cleaned up and a final coat on now for the final finish,Bacon sarnie now

then gloss her.

43578114824_3282358300_b.jpg

29359602347_ca90f06a28_b.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Looking good - will you be applying any weathering?

Many thank's Jinxman,yes a little drybrush on the cowling and a wash of sort's into the panel's,I'm waiting a bit longer for the gloss to dry as now the 

"heatwave" is over it's taking longer,everything else is painted now for the final push!

Hi folk's have to leave it now at 10:15 this is where I am,I had an issue with the decal's(long story) so spare's were used from I think the starter set,

wash on now just popped the canopy on for photo not yet finished or fixed in place.Back tonight think maybe another hour's work needed.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Sorry folk's this sadly goes down as a fail,I sludged a wash on and left it for an hour when I tried to clean it up like I've done a million times before

it will not budge,whether it was because I used Humbrol clear and didn't leave it a day todry as usual or my wash mix has gone off I dont know.

White spirit won't budge it and reluctantly I tried acrylic thinner's on a cotton bud and it just ate through the lot.

• Sad 5

Sorry to hear that Steve.  It's the painting that's difficult to do in the time - I had masking tape lift off paint which I obviously hadn't left long enough (my wife's hair dryer was unfortunately no substitute!).

• Like 2