T-72BM Side-Skirt Question

Kiwikitbasher

I have a question regarding T-72 side-skirts. Are the side-skirts of the T-72BM with ERA affixed to them made of a different material to the plastic/rubber side-skirts fitted to he T-72B1 for example?

I plan to build Modelcollect's  Syrian T-72BM with ERA, and note that the side-skirts are moulded flat and feature different mounting attachments to the track-guards than a pair also included in the kit (but surplus parts) that feature slightly wavy sides and track-guard attachments consistent with those of a T-72M1 (they are the same in style as my recently completed Revell T-72B1). I also note that the two styles of side-skirt differ at the front where they meet different shaped hooded front sections of the track-guards.

Aside from general interest, I want to know because I may model my T-72BM with damages skirts per several photos of Syrian vehicles, and knowing what they are made of would assist in getting the damage right.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The ERA is bolted to a thin frame work which is then bolted directly on to the side skirts, that said however, if you ever find a picture of the Modelcollect variation, do share, most BM pictures I have found show that the forward ERA elements are the same as mounted on Russian BMs and T 90s with the Kontakt1 era mounted further to the rear.

the two different side skirts in the kit are dependant on which Glacis is added, the square front portion or the rounded part both have been seen, sometimes on the same tank!

11 hours ago, Old pro said:

The ERA is bolted to a thin frame work which is then bolted directly on to the side skirts, that said however, if you ever find a picture of the Modelcollect variation, do share, most BM pictures I have found show that the forward ERA elements are the same as mounted on Russian BMs and T 90s with the Kontakt1 era mounted further to the rear.

the two different side skirts in the kit are dependant on which Glacis is added, the square front portion or the rounded part both have been seen, sometimes on the same tank!

Thanks Old Pro,

Here are images of the kit parts:

file.php?id=8274&t=1

file.php?id=8275

The side skirts are dependant on the Glacis used in the kit, for example for the T 72B/B1 the first set (wavy) would be used as the glacis has the rounded fenders. That said the model collect kit is trying to depict a mish mash of features, whilst the base tank is indeed a T 72BM(obj 1989) same as their cage armour kit, the ERA layout is Syrian, here is a picture of the real thing as shown on the box art

nwNKmFS.jpg

as can be seen from this side it has the ERA layout of the kit and the square fenders.

however from the other side,

aUSrfSs.jpg

it has a different ERA layout and a rounded fender, as can be also seen in this head on picture

srdPMTc.jpg

what is also missing from the kit is that most of the tanks in Syria also have the top portion of the wavy fender that covers the fuel tanks and tool bins (although most of them get lost but can still be seen on the rear portions.

here is a picture of a T 72AV missing the top row of bricks but showing the framework usually hidden behind them, although that said some do mount straight on to the side skirts but whether that is just a local modification is another question.

e1D6itP.jpg

Thanks, Old Pro,

That's very helpful. Aside from representing damage, a couple of things I will need to do is 1. Slightly curve the fenders in towards the road-wheels, either by replacing with thin brass or Dremeling the back to thin them and then reshape with a hairdryer. And 2.. Sand off the backing to the blocks of ERA so I can both curve them to the match the modified side-skirts and reposition individual bricks to break up the kit's even spacing and position some as being partially dislodged (not to mention change the ERA layout on the right-hand side per the photo. 

Thanks again for your help.

As Simon says, the real vehicle is a mix of features. You need to use the 'non wavy' part which is for T-72B mod 1989 onwards and T-90/A (i.e. this is for the K5 ERA fitted vehicles). Unfortunately MC missed off the wavy aspect as I think they copied the Zvezda T-90A kit here. Both types of skirt are semi-flexible. Also the top portion above the fender line is sheet metal on this later style but this vehicle appears to have some flexible sections too (an earlier feature).

The front mudguards are a mix of early (all metal) and late (mix of metal / flexible portion). These are completely interchangeable, like putting different types of tyre on your car. So you need to do a bit of surgery here.

Unlike the T-64BV, the K1 ERA is bolted either directly to the skirt (I believe there is a fixture behind the skirt itself) or to a partial frame (usually vertical metal strips). That's why the bricks can often be seen hanging all over the place whereas the T-64 style tends to either stay all on or come of in big chunks as it has much larger frames. It's hard to tell on this example how they were fitted.

One other thing to note, that glacis is for a T-90 and early build T-90A. You need to remove the anti radiation cladding from the glacis part and to the right of the driver hatch (from the viewpoint of the driver himself when looking forwards.

regards

Alex

2 hours ago, alexclark said:

As Simon says, the real vehicle is a mix of features. You need to use the 'non wavy' part which is for T-72B mod 1989 onwards and T-90/A (i.e. this is for the K5 ERA fitted vehicles). Unfortunately MC missed off the wavy aspect as I think they copied the Zvezda T-90A kit here. Both types of skirt are semi-flexible. Also the top portion above the fender line is sheet metal on this later style but this vehicle appears to have some flexible sections too (an earlier feature).

The front mudguards are a mix of early (all metal) and late (mix of metal / flexible portion). These are completely interchangeable, like putting different types of tyre on your car. So you need to do a bit of surgery here.

Unlike the T-64BV, the K1 ERA is bolted either directly to the skirt (I believe there is a fixture behind the skirt itself) or to a partial frame (usually vertical metal strips). That's why the bricks can often be seen hanging all over the place whereas the T-64 style tends to either stay all on or come of in big chunks as it has much larger frames. It's hard to tell on this example how they were fitted.

One other thing to note, that glacis is for a T-90 and early build T-90A. You need to remove the anti radiation cladding from the glacis part and to the right of the driver hatch (from the viewpoint of the driver himself when looking forwards.

regards

Alex

Thanks, Alex,

When you say in respect of the interchangeable mudguards I need to do some surgery, do mean to make the vehicle in the photos above? which appears to have both types. Or have I misunderstood you?

With regard to the anti-radiation cladding that needs to be removed, do you mean the bits identified in the photo below? (please excuse my ignorance):

YPZU9Wa.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, the vehicle in the photo has one of the old style and one of the new mudguards whereas the kit piece you've shown has both as the newer type.

Regarding the anti-radiation cladding, you need to leave the single piece on the right side of the photo next to the driver hatch (i.e. to the left of the driver from his perspective)

6 hours ago, alexclark said:

Yes, the vehicle in the photo has one of the old style and one of the new mudguards whereas the kit piece you've shown has both as the newer type.

Regarding the anti-radiation cladding, you need to leave the single piece on the right side of the photo next to the driver hatch (i.e. to the left of the driver from his perspective)

Thanks, Alex, much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, alexclark said:

Hi Alex,

Just to make an extra check, is there anything I need to remove from the glacis insert below?

pxfPbKl.jpg

From looking at the images of the real thing it looks OK as is to me.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

On 27/08/2018 at 00:24, Kiwikitbasher said:

Hi Alex,

Just to make an extra check, is there anything I need to remove from the glacis insert below?

pxfPbKl.jpg

From looking at the images of the real thing it looks OK as is to me.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

That's all fine for this version.