Sopwith Camel

A great piece of work quickly executed - still, ‘Redshift’ does imply great speed.

Any details on how you fixed the upper wing? Were there any particular problems or tricks involved? This is the part of the 504 build that I’m dreading. 😱

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

A great piece of work quickly executed - still, ‘Redshift’ does imply great speed.

Any details on how you fixed the upper wing? Were there any particular problems or tricks involved? This is the part of the 504 build that I’m dreading. 😱

I put metal inserts into the ends of the struts using 0.5mm tinned copper wire, then carefully measured out the position of the struts on the lower wings and nose, drilled some holes and glued the sticky out strut wires into the holes. This leaves the struts held firmly, but with a little bit of flex. Make sure the upper wires are all bent to be vertical.

Now mark out and drill the upper wing, then carefully lower the upper wing in place, manipulating the struts with tweezers. Took a couple of goes but it worked out ok. Once in place a quick dab of CA using a pin as applicator keeps everything in place ready for rigging. 

Wash hands, drink tea.

Simple!

• Thanks 1